• This topic has 29 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by juan.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Still faffing about brakes…XT or Formula Mega?
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

As the XT’s are still out of stock at Rose Bikes, it’s giving me more faff time to look at other options. In doing so, I’ve been directed to the Formula website where they have a number of discounted brakes including some 2010 Mega’s.

Does anybody have any experiences with them? How are they with regards power and reliability compared to the XT 785’s?

Cheers for any help or advice.

jedi

i ove my xt brakes

mindmap3
    Free Member

That’s what most people seem to say, but there is equally a lot of love for Formula brakes.

I had some original brakes and they were great, but understand the latest Shimano brakes are supposed to be amazing. I’ve never had Formula brakes or know anyone who has so have very little to go on.

dryroasted
    Free Member

I got the slx from rose bikes, just back from 2 weeks in the alps and have to say they were superb.

Scapegoat

Get the SLX.

Northwind

I really rate Formula, but the current Shimano brakes are fantastic, and absolutely ridiculous value. I haven’t used a 2010 Mega, looks a lot like the The One FR though, which is a wee bit ordinary.

jambo13
    Free Member

XT brakes are amazeballs.

Pedal On where doing them cheap for a while but look out of stock atm :-/

mindmap3
    Free Member

Northwind that’s an interesting comment; a lot of people rave about the One DH brakes and I figured the One FR would be the same as its the same brake, but cast rather than machined so is a tad heavier but uses the same pads, pistols and internal bits and bobs.

Still can’t decide…I’m being a real Doris.

jkomo

Merlin £180 a set of xt

chakaping
    Free Member

I figured the One FR would be the same as its the same brake, but cast rather than machined so is a tad heavier but uses the same pads, pistols and internal bits and bobs.

You’re right, they are – and they’re bloody awesome with massive controllable power.

Not ordinary in any way, unless you;re very spoiled with brakes.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

New XT’s are awesome. I’m sure the SLX’s will be too.

Gobsmacked with the power of my XT’s. They make a mockery of my M4’s.

grum
    Free Member

Gobsmacked with the power of my XT’s

If you’re gobsmacked by the power of XTs, you would probably have a seizure over the power of Formula The Ones. 😛

Two mates with XTs both agree the Formulas are piss-takingly powerful in comparison. Whether you need that power or not I dunno….

endurogangster
    Free Member

Have a set of formula the ones, running 180mm front and 160mm back and they have an incredible amount of power, not a light rider by a long way and they never overheat or fail to stop me!

mindmap3
    Free Member

Chunky and Grum, which versions of the XT brakes are you referring to? The 785’s with the inline lever, or the previous 775’s?

I’m after as much power as possible, which is one of the reasons I was looking at the XT’s because everyone raves about them.

Seems to be a lot of love for the Formula brakes, which are cheaper all in with rotors and mounts.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

formula the ones’ piss on any other brake ive ever owned (granted not the new xt style ones, but certainly the last model)

ive just put in some superstar kevlar pads, and by christ are they powerful, the bite is incredible, just hope the wear is half decent like the sintered now, cos if so ive found the perfect pads!

bigjim

I’m either going to get SLX or Formula RX, the only thing I don’t like about Formula is the cost of spares is very Italian. I’ve had Oro’s for years and love the feel of them but they were woefully underpowered in the Alps.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m after as much power as possible,

I’d recommend the Formulas then. I’ve owned the new XT, and they’re good when they work but The Ones are on another level.

bland

The XT’s will wort tirelessly though, you wont boil them, they feel lovely etc etc.

Again not tried the Formula ones but cant fault the XT’s at all

Gotama
    Free Member

I’ve got Ones and Megas. Ridden a friends bike with XTs to try them out. Formulas in my opinion offer much better feel, Megas are good, Ones seem to be better again. Both are more powerful than the XT on the bike i tried. They both bite differently so it depends on how you like a lever to feel. XT are more ‘slight braking and then bam’ with the power whereas forumla seem to apply the power in a more linear fashion which i prefer.

Only downside with formula is that the pads don’t retract very far so they can cause a slight rub if not set up quite perfectly.

Never had a reliability issue with either brake and bleeding them is easy.

Forumla pads are stupidly expensive. Superstar sintered are very good and a much better price.

grum
    Free Member

Chunky and Grum, which versions of the XT brakes are you referring to? The 785’s with the inline lever, or the previous 775’s?

I think the 775s.

I’m after as much power as possible

I moved down a rotor size (from 203/185) when I got the Ones as the power with one finger braking was unnecessary (and I weigh 17st) – will probably swap back when I go back to the Alps/Pyrenees. SS Kevlar pads here too btw.

Northwind

mindmap3 – Member

Northwind that’s an interesting comment; a lot of people rave about the One DH brakes and I figured the One FR would be the same as its the same brake, but cast rather than machined so is a tad heavier but uses the same pads, pistols and internal bits and bobs.

I use The Ones (current model) on my normal bikes and The One FRs on my DH bike. TBH they aren’t all that similiar- the FRs feel a lot like the old Oro, competent, reliable and powerful but no more. Still better than most brakes, mind.

The current The Ones are just simply the best brakes I’ve used, by a bloody mile.

Not convinced they’re the same basic design btw- the lever pivot points are different and the bleed ports are located very differently too, and there’s different part numbers for the internals. But mainly they just feel very different.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m just going off what little info I’ve managed to dredge up via Google; the 2010 launch stuff on Pink Bike liststhe only differences between the One and One FR as construction. They look pretty much the same in the pics aside from the finishes.

The one thing that puts me off the XT’s is the cost of the ice tech pads, not a necessity I know but still crazy money.

Scamper
    Free Member

Am i reading the Merlin site right in that a pair of SLX brakes are circa £145 while a pair of The Ones are circa £360?

Northwind

mindmap, that’d make sense then, they’d be comparing with the older model The One (which was alright)

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

If anyone is interested I’ve a set of brand new funky red anodised Formula RX1’s?

I went for XTR instead 8)

brassneck

[/quote]The one thing that puts me off the XT’s is the cost of the ice tech pads, not a necessity I know but still crazy money.

I got a pair in the box, but they aren’t of any real use to me. Why not just pull them out and use normal ones until you really need them on hols.

Got to say I’m struggling to think how brakes would get any better than current XT, other than buying black rather than the 80s Cylon ones I got.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Double post of an old one…stupid phone.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Spoke to Silverfish who said that the One FR is a hybrid; one caliper and lever (cast not machined) bit with lever internals from the RX. Power should still be on a par with the One DH though.

Hmmmm. Not getting any easier.

vorlich
    Free Member

Love my Megas, bought direct. The pads they come with are organic and will last you half a ride, but apart from that, brilliant. I sized the rear down from 203 to 180, as 203 was overkill for me, even at 15 stone.

Great brakes.

juan
    Free Member

If you’re looking after power, you want the Formula Oval

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Still faffing about brakes…XT or Formula Mega?’ is closed to new replies.