• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • still coughing – ride tomorrow?
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Had a cough and cold for the last ten days, cold seems to have shifted but still left with a hacking cough that’s lodged in the tubes rather than on my chest.
    Good idea to ride tomorrow or rest up another week?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

1 week of rest is better than a 8 weeks.

You are questioning yourself as you’re not sure?

Listen to your body/instinct.

DrP

In the same boat as you… Had to write off the brass monkey race last weekend due to it…
    Still coughing but went out for 30 miles thurs night -it want too bad but feeling rough again now!
    I’d probably give it a go, but not push it..

DrP

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Yeah, probably best to skip it but I’m getting antsy not riding 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

You’ve changed your tune, yesterday you were too scared to ride!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Man up.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Hey, 5 bikes need riding!
    not that enamoured of commuting right now though.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Lad at work many years ago decided to sweat a cold out running , he now looks down on us

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Decided to skip riding even though its a lovely day. Leisurely breakfast then a slow walk will do for today.
    Just bought a lovely new road winter jersey from Sportful and was looking forward to trying it out – oh well, get rid of the coughing first.

Drac

You can man up and ride or you can wait as there’s more days out there than this weekend. I’ve had a similar thing now for almost 2 weeks the cough doesn’t want to go away, I got breathless shifting logs yesterday and felt like crap walking 1/4 mile back from the shops. Had a right good hack this am some not very pleasant stuff came up but feel better for it.

mudshark
    Free Member

I mostly rest when got a cold/cough, especially since one time I went out and ended up with bronchitis which took a few weeks to get over. Got a cold now and not even tempted to ride.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Yeah, i’ve done it before and suffered – plus i’m 46yrs old and don’t heal as quick as i used to!
    Pees me off that it always happens when the weather is nice though 🙁

deviant
    Free Member

Best advice on this kind of thing i’ve read was in a roadie magazine and it said:

Having been ill and thinking about starting training again, stop and give it one more day, then start back.
    Better to lose another day but be back training close to 100% than coming back too soon and struggling at 80% with your immune system still trying to fight an illness.

Been ill myself this week with an upper respiratory complaint and a funny stomach, infuriating as my new bike arrived this week and i have a nice run of rest days from work so was also looking forward to getting back in the gym too….have just had to accept that this week is a write off, no point making myself more unwell by training when under the weather.
    I’ve just kept the fluids trickling in and supplemented with a multi-vit and iron tablet twice a day, eating small amounts and been taking the dogs out twice a day, nothing too strenuous but something, anything to get out of the house and get some fresh air!

grum
    Free Member

I’ve had a cold virtually for the last 5 weeks. Been limiting myself to very short rides or walks. Some mates are doing the Mary Townley loop this weekend in lovely weather. Meh.

For me it’s definitely not a good idea to man up as once I’m riding I don’t tend to judge very well when to stop/go easy, especially in a group. I think in the long run you’ll spend more time off the bike.

DrP

My snot is now The color of mountain dew, and I’ve now developed sinusitis… Breathing much improved though!

DrP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘still coughing – ride tomorrow?’ is closed to new replies.