Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Stiff 29er rims?
  • troberts1994
    Free Member

Howdy, just want to ask all those hardcore 29er riders what they’d suggest for stiff 29er rims. I am currently running a set of hope hoops with the new Hope Enduro rims which seem pretty naff! I appreciate that 29er wheels are gunna flex more in comparison to smaller wheels but I’ve noticed that especially the rear wheel feels super wallowy when putting power down. I have made sure that all spokes are under enough tension and even taken them into the bike shop to get a “professional” opinion but I’m still not happy with it. Can anyone suggest a rim to try on the rear?
    Ta!

sillyoldman

DT EX471. Bomber!

shortcut

What bike are they on? Is it suspension that is causing some of your issue.

Stiff rims are made from carbon or try flows.

Stiff wheels – have a look at crossmax etc.

chakaping
    Free Member

Thought those Hopes were supposed to be at the stiffer end of the aluminium offerings.

Would you risk carbon?

troberts1994
    Free Member

I’m on a 2015 Kona Honzo which has like the stiffest rear end of any 29er I reckon! I think the fact that the rear end is so stiff amplifies any flex coming from the rear wheel! I’m definitely not a carbon man as I live in the Lakes but Flows look good, would the wider internal rim diameter make a big difference do you think? I’ve had no experience of the DTs but they look good!

epicyclo

I use 36 spoke wheels for my 29ers.

No problem on my singlespeed, and that’s where’d I notice it.

hatter

Crossmax’s are lovely and stiff but narrow and expensive, they do look ace though.

If you want to go wide tyrewise check out the DT XM 481, they’re a bit more cash than the 471’s but 5 mm wider, I have a set on 650b and they’re easily as stiff as the Crossmax’s they replaced.

bigjim

Is it a full sus frame? Check you bearings etc for wear first. Stomp hard on the pedal with the brake on looking down and see if the rear end is moving more to the side than it should.

I think hope hoops are pretty awful build quality based on the ones I’ve seen, I build my own wheels so tend to go around pinging other wheels’ spokes like an oddball, hopes are machine built and all the ones I’ve come across have terrible tensioning.

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

I have a set of LB 38mm, Tune King /Kong hubs (15mm/142x12mm), 32 Sapim CX-Ray spokes, built by a skilled wheel builder and they are incredibly stiff.
    My wheel builder said this was the stiffest 29er wheelset and he has built close to 60 sets. Interestingly, he said these LB rims were very good at keeping a consistent spoke tension.

So, LB 38mm wide gets my vote.

[btw, these will be advertised in the sale section very soon]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Stiff 29er rims?’ is closed to new replies.