Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Stems for Carbon Bars
  • SirJonLordofBike
    Free Member

I heard that Carbon Bars need to avoid “point loading” and so certain stems are preferable to others – I’m thinking of using a 50mm Thompson X4 stem with my easton Monkeylite dh carbon bars, but the contant point inside the clamp with the bar is not continuos – anything to wory about?
    Alternative suggestions? Ive got a Renthal Strata Duo but if anything that looks like it has more point loading.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve used those DH monkeylite bars with a load of different stems and never had any issues. Never really thought about it tbh.

I suspect the advice you refer to might be for thinner XC bars?

honourablegeorge

Been using various combinations of X4 stems with Carbon bars for about six years, never an issue.

ruscle
    Free Member

The easton haven stem is a great stem and has a good system where you tighten top bolts first on the clamp then torque bottom bolts so to even pressure out. Looks nicer than Thomson aswell imo.

br
    Free Member

Recommend using a Ritchey Torque Key.

I use those bars with both Hope and Easton EA90 stems, not had a problem.

honourablegeorge

Looks a bit chintzy and flash compared to Thomson, IMO.

takisawa2

Various Thomsons on various carbon bars here & never a problem. Always torqued to bolts to 6Nm. I use the Superstar preset torque thing, but only after checking it at work first.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Stems for Carbon Bars’ is closed to new replies.