Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Stem length opinions please
  • Olly
    Free Member

I think im finding my tourer bars too much of a reach, so ive swapped the 100mm stem with the 70mm off my muntin bike. Not had chance to ride either yet. High hopes for the surly.
    I can always buy a new stem if it suits, but the question is might i like the longer stem on the reign? Is a 100mm stem too long for a 6″ travel bike? The tart/fashion victim in me thinks so, but if it feels ok (when i get around to it next)…. What are people running stem length wise on their newfangled enduro bikes? Pictures welcome as everyone loves to post picture of their own bikes!

RobHilton
    Free Member

Too much of a reach with your munkey arms? Are you riding a gate?

Yes, it’s too long for a 6″ travel bike, you know it is and are just being tight 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If it feels OK then carry on, but throwing a very long stem on that sort of bike sort of says you might have got the wrong frame.

780mm bars and a 30mm stem on my Enduro – couldn’t even contemplate the horribleness of a 100mm stem on there. Primarily, ergonomically and equally primarily, aesthetically.

Get a shorter one bought you tightwad 😉

[url=https://flic.kr/p/jC7hD5]Untitled[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

brant
    Free Member

That’s not a 30mm stem.
    Looks like a 50 or 60.

chiefgrooveguru

That’s not a 30mm stem.
    Looks like a 50 or 60.

Looks like a strange coloured version of the 55mm Haven on one of my bikes!

The geometry of two intersecting circles decrees that you can’t make zero rise stems as short as 30mm, hence 35mm being the shortest common size. Obviously you can shorten the effective stem length by using a handlebar with more back sweep.

100mm would be very long on a 6″ bike if it has modern geometry and wide bars.

ricky1
    Free Member

Get a layback

brant
    Free Member

Looks like a strange coloured version of the 55mm Haven on one of my bikes!

I’m going to give myself 7/10 for trying. It’s early.

Olly
    Free Member

Not just me that’s a tart then. Well, stick to the plan of trying a 70mm on t surly and see how we feel before buying something between 70 and 90mm

rickon
    Free Member

Definitely a 55mm in Mag, I have one.

chiefgrooveguru

Not just me that’s a tart then.

No, we’re all riding shorter stems because they don’t work so well but at least we look cool…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Stem length opinions please’ is closed to new replies.