Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Star Wars – to 3D, or not to 3D, that is the question?
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Thinking of booking this for tomorrow night and have 3D as an option. I’m not a massive fan of 3D normally, but for some films it may add an essential something – The Martian being a possible recent example. Will I be missing anything if I see this in 2D, is 3D awesums, or not..?

Northwind

<registers interest>

TBH it annoys me that it’s only IMAX 3D, no IMAX 2D. I’m not really a 3D fan but I want the IMAX sound system for this one. So I’m torn.

(second question then- fellow nerds, will I be up for seeing both?)

Basil

Watched last night in 3D
    Not much 3d effect in the film. Would have been happy to watch in 2D without wearing crap glasses.

vinnyeh

Imax 2D is at the Science Museum. I realise that it’s a bit of a hike, but London’s got to have something going for it.

I dod a bit of googling about the 2d/3d question, opinion seemed to be that you weren’t missing anything.

isitafox
    Free Member

Watched this morning, excellent film but you don’t need 3d.

CountZero

I honestly think 3D is a lost cause and a waste of time and money, especially as it costs a fair bit more.
    I’m not going to pay more than absolutely necessary, Meerkat Movies 2 for 1 comes in very handy…

allthegear
    Free Member

I’m not usually a fan of 3D but watched Star Wars yesterday at the IMAX in Bradford. Yes, it worked.

Rachel

jimjam
    Free Member

Saw it in 2d. Glad I did as I can’t imagine any real benefit of seeing it in 3d. Other than Avatar I can’t recall being impressed by any 3d films.

bensales
    Free Member

I saw the IMAX 3D version. I’m not a fan of 3D movies and don’t like the way bits that aren’t of attention are generally all blurry during action scenes. With this film I thought it nice that there weren’t many overt 3D pieces, it’s was just shot in such a way that the 3D was ‘normal’. Like looking at reality, everything just had a depth not present normally in film.

That said, I’m going to go back an see it in 2D. I think a 2D IMAX showing would be the best version.

Cougar

The 3D was done post-production rather than in filming, if that matters to anyone. (I’m a fan of 3D but some of the post-production stuff can be poor.)

I’ll be IMAX 3D-ing when I see it; Printworks so it’s real IMAX rather than the poor man’s IMAX Digital pish.

johnners
    Free Member

Other than Avatar I can’t recall being impressed by any 3d films

Can’t say that I’ve seen all that much in 3d but Gravity seemed to make good use of it. I didn’t see it in anything else to make a comparison though.

jimjam
    Free Member

I heard Gravity was impressive but I just can’t stand Sandra Bullock at all so can’t compare.

longj
    Free Member

I’ve seen both 2d and 3d versions.there were a handful of scenes that were really cool but would say you are not missing out by watching in 2d. 3d imax seemed higher def than the 2d version, and the screen is much bigger so felt a bit more immersed in it.

eulach

I didn’t think the 3d was great – a bit distracting with some of the backround stuff being out of focus. And compared to Mad Max… well the whole , never mind.

Kryton57

I just can’t stand Sandra Bullock at all so can’t compare

Weird!

About 20 mins before this thread appeared I booked iMax 3D for tomorrow night. So er thanks for the feedback… :/

twicewithchips
    Free Member

So… some IMAX have it in 3D, but some R2D2?

Northwind

@twicewithchips, according to IMAX only the science museum in the UK for 2D IMAX 🙁 And it’s 70mm.

jimjam – Member

I heard Gravity was impressive but I just can’t stand Sandra Bullock at all so can’t compare.

FWIW I finally watched it the other night, even in 2d on a home screen it’s bloody fantastic. And nothing much to be annoyed about from Ms Bullock except the bit where she channels shia lebouf for about 20 seconds.

deadkenny
    Free Member

As I understand it only certain bits are filmed for IMAX 3D and the rest conversions from 2D.

I’m not interested at all. 3D despite claims is not realistic and quite distracting. It’s confusing to the brain as you cannot focus where you want, you focus where it’s shot to focus. Although 2D is fixed focus also, it’s less stressful on the brain. I find the layered effect with 3D just weird, and anything close to the camera can make you go cross eyed. At the cinema they typically use polarised glasses, which while is a better system it also decreases the amount of light that gets to your eyes.

In all, it’s just a gimmick to boost ticket sales. It was the same in the 50s and the same every time they’ve tried it.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Thanks STW hive mind… another little problem sorted 8)

2D it is then (at 11:15pm tomorrow night – trying to avoid the inevitable crowds!)

edhornby

Just been to see it in 2D didn’t make it any less

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I know Kermode watched a 2D iMax performance – assumed that was at Waterloo.

Can’t stand 3D myself – just gives me a headache but enjoyed Gravity. Everything else I’ve seen it detracted from. Having seen 2d version of SW can’t see that 3D would add anything but would like to see 2D iMax.

cheekyget
    Free Member

I’m going on Tuesday …with my kid…watching in 4dx!!…..at Crawley ……

greencat
    Free Member

There are a couple of nice moments where the 3D conveys a nice sense of scale, but it’s certainly not necessary. One of the better post-converts.

darrenspink
    Free Member

My friend asked me if the new Star Wars was in 3D.

And I said, yes, but they R 2 D 2.

brassneck

Watched in 3D as it was all I could book a month or two back.

2D wouldn’t lose anything, I’d save the money and save wearing the glasses.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Just letting you all know Star Wars in
    4dx was brilliant…my son said best film ever
    The seats were moving in all the fighting scenes ….millennium falcon, X wings…etc
    Laser blasts shooting pass your heads in the head rests as air blast, water spaying etc……it was amazing
    The only thing they should not bother with IMO was the smell sense…..it doesn’t really add much

loddrik
    Free Member

I’d normally avoid 3d movies at all costs. However we saw star wars last night and my kids persuaded me to see it in 3d and it was probably the first film I’ve been glad to have seen it in 3d. Just for the space battles alone.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Bradford imax 3d next week with kids. I’m not a star wars nerd so pretty sure it will be good whatever.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Other than Avatar I can’t recall being impressed by any 3d films

and yet you watch it again in 2d and you see bout an hours worth of crap just for the 3d gimmick stuff that does nothing for the story except make you want to take a break half way through.

4dx was brilliant…my son said best film ever
    The seats were moving in all the fighting scenes ….millennium falcon, X wings…etc
    Laser blasts shooting pass your heads in the head rests as air blast, water spaying etc……it was amazing

hmm sounds awful to me

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Star Wars – to 3D, or not to 3D, that is the question?’ is closed to new replies.