Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Stan’s solution in car tyres
  • sillyoldman

Any reason why this won’t work in the longer term?

I sealed a hole caused by a screw in my (best of 4) tyre with a small amount of Stan’s solution and a compressor. I figured given that it isn’t having to seal the carcass/bead areas, only a small amount would be needed to seal the hole – which was easy to spot due to the aforementioned screw(!)

It sealed quickly and easily – is there any reason that this won’t work longterm? Heat build up etc?

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought about this – I have a very slow puncture in one wheel.. I decided not to tho, because of the heat build up, and the stressed placed on the tyre. The sealant might affect the way the tyre flexes and all. If you fix a puncture with that spray stuff, it says you can only drive at 30 miles an hour or something.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I think at anything above 20 mph the fluid will probably not stay at the bottom of the tyre but will spin around making the balance pretty bad to say the least, like a bucket of water spun over your head fast enough doesn’t get you wet.

site vehicles on some of our sites have similar stuff in though but they aren’t fast, 6 wheeled dumpers etc.

halfbee
    Free Member
    snaps
    Free Member

We put some in a mates car tyre about a year ago coming back from Afan – tyre still going strong as he forgot about it.

molgrips
    Free Member

CHL, the fluid will spin and distribute itself evenly about the tyre, hence not causing balance problems…

Marge
    Free Member

It’s quite ok to use car tyre sealant for cars but I’ve never tried a cycle tyre sealant.

Many cars now come with a sealant type repair kit (integrated into a compressor) instead of a spare wheel.

Conti actually sell tyres that come new with a sealant that ‘should’ seal any small punctures without the driver even realising. They are OE fitment on some cars inclduing new Passat CC…

hora
    Free Member

Err I wouldn’t even try it. For two reasons:
    A hole not properly repaired (unless you are an expert how can you define?) may weaken or lead the tyre letting go at 90mph in the fast lane. Ever seen a blow out go badly wrong?
    Secondly, what happens if they investigate the accident for cause and found that you tampered with the tyre (and concluded that you knew it was defective)?

If you look through the bumpf on the VW, it’ll probably have lots of disclaimers and I bet it isn’t a normal/stock tyre either (reinforced sidewalls?). Plus the emergency sealant kit (I have one incase of double-punctures) is designed for <50mph and drive straight to a tyre depot asap.

Experiment with something else!

sillyoldman

Hora – I ain’t no expert – hence the Q!

hora
    Free Member

Your a man after mi own heart. A tinkerer 🙄

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Stan’s solution in car tyres’ is closed to new replies.