Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Stans Flow 29" UST rims and TR tyres
  • Tomahawk
    Free Member

I’m looking to change my tyres on the tallboy to something a bit more robust for our dower months ahead. I’m thinking I might ditch UST (ardent F/Crossmark R) and just go with a 200g lighter TR tyre as (like we all do) I use sealant anyway.

My concerns are the obvious… Loosing a tyre at speed and or excessive burping. Stan’s actually advise against certain brands ie WTB so I’m wondering what other people are running on a Flow rim? Or is it worth the cost and weight penalty for 100% design comparability?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I use specialized 2bliss and Bonty tlr on my crests and haven’t had a issue.

I’ve also used schwalbe tr tyres too and they’re fine

bighendo
    Free Member

Flows are not UST rims
    100% reliability is your best friend

stick_man

I use maxxis ardent 29er tyres on flow ex, tubeless, no probs with burping etc

shortcut

I have had success with Continental (you want the Protection ones), Maxxis, WTB, Schwalbe, Kenda all not tubeless ready and Spesh 2bliss on Stan’s rims.

The world is your oyster.

sandwicheater

I’ve a set of flow 29er rims and loving my Spec Purgatory.

Not the best in super sloppy mud but as an all rounder, pretty spot on.

singlespeedstu

I’ve been using 29er flows for a long time now.
    I’ve also used tyres from Maxxis/Conti/Schwalbe/WTB and never had any problems with any of them.

TooTall
    Free Member

Flows with Bonty tlr rubber and they only burped once when I’d let the pressure drop too much and the goop had dried out.

honourablegeorge

bighendo – Member

Flows are not UST rims
    100% reliability is your best friend

They’r enot UST in that they have spoke holes, so need tape. They grip the bead better than UST, in my experience.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Continentals all the way here.

On-Ones have been fine on my Rigid, too.

ratherbeintobago

They’r enot UST in that they have spoke holes, so need tape. They grip the bead better than UST, in my experience.

They’re not UST because they’ve got a different internal rim profile and aren’t certified by the UST group.

Mavic have just launched 29er 819/821/823 rims if it has to be true UST, but they’re apparently heavy.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Stans Flow 29" UST rims and TR tyres’ is closed to new replies.