Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Standard amount of holidays
  • pinch_flat
    Free Member

So I’ve been looking at other jobs lately and its made me wonder whether my employer is being a bit tight with the yearly holiday amount. We get 20 days plus bank holidays with one extra for each year of service up to a maximum of 25, is this normal? My partner works in the civil service so she gets lots of holidays and therefore its always distorted my perception.
    What is considered the acceptable number nowadays?

russianbob
    Free Member

I get 30 plus I buy an extra 5 plus bank holidays and lieu time.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I used to get none as I was self employed, now I get 320 hours (39hr week)so I get 8.205128205128205 weeks per year.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Civil service here. I started on 25 days and after 5 years it went up to 30. Plus we get 2.5 days for Queens birthdays and Maundy Thursday. I know several people in private sector who get 40 days. One ex-colleague even gets 50 days?! But she works in Wales.

pinch_flat
    Free Member

Gosh that is surprising, Whenever I have asked friends about their holidays the most any of them have is 25 days. How many of you are at non management level though?

john_drummer
    Free Member

Same as the OP here. Plus, once you’ve been here 10 years, one extra day in that year only. Then same again every five years after that. Manufacturing compamy

tenfoot

Building contractor – 24 days, up to 25, after 2 years, plus bank hols

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

25 days plus bank holidays – private company – happy with that!

sc-xc

35 plus 9 bank. Plus flexi, carers, etc

S’all good.

trickydisco
    Free Member

30 days + bank holidays + christmas off (xmas eve to new year)+ extra day in april. Plus Flexi

I work for a university 🙂

Daffy

25 plus 9BH plus upto 24 flexi.

ourmaninthenorth

20 is statutory minimum (for a full time worker).

I think I have 26. Plus bank hols. Same for every other full-timer here (FTSE 250 company). We can buy up to 5 extra days but I prefer the money.

Dr North’s a university type: 29 days + bank hols + 5 closure days at Christmas. But then I wouldn’t work 60+ hours a week for the money she’s paid.

MrOvershoot

25 +BH probably the normal I guess, new starters only get 20 + BH these days at our firm. Makes for a bad atmosphere IMO

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I get 217.5 hours a year plus another 60 hours for bank holidays. But due to working mainly 12 hour shifts it only works out as 18 days holiday plus 5 bank holidays 😥

pondo

25+BH, at my current place and the next place.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Over time about 25 days was average + BH’s.
    Last full time job was 25+BH’s+10 extra for historic contractual reasons+up to 12 in accrued Flexi (so working longer to get days off but not extra hours)

This year, quite a few as self employed so about 7 weeks of actual holidays, not working much on Friday’s and long lunches when I need.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I get 27(4 need to get kept for inbeteween Xmas and new year) plus 9(5 Mondays + christmas day, boxing day, 1st and 2nd Jan) bank holidays. So I have 23 days I can use whenever beyond those.

For the first 5 years I had a week less mind you.

seosamh77
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth – Member
    20 is statutory minimum (for a full time worker).

I’m sure that minimum is including bank holidays. Is if you get bank holidays they only need to give you another 11 or 12 days holiday.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Statutory minimum is 28 days which can include bank holidays.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Yep that’s what I get. 28 days including b/h. And they make you use 3 days at Christmas.

riddoch

Our company rejigged our holiday and justified giving us 27 days plus bank holidays being the average across employers.

cranberry
    Free Member

34 days leave, bank holidays and 8 occasional days each year. Every 2nd year you get 11 days to go back to your home country. We also have flexitime – you can bank/owe up to 16 hours. We are very lucky.

properbikeco
    Free Member

60 days, plus standard bank holidays in scotland

cloudnine
    Free Member

27 days but work 4 days a week.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I get 20 plus the stats. However I never allow for not working over Christmas so that probably chucks in another 3/4 each year. Plus I have the odd cheeky one. However I do nip in the odd Saturday morning to sort things etc and stay late if needed.
    Swings and roundabouts of a small company I guess.

prettygreenparrot

up to 35 days/year
    22 days.
    + 3 ‘company’ days.
    + option to buy 10 more days (from gross pay).
    + public holidays.

IIRC US colleagues start on 15 days/year with slow accrual of additional days with length of employment.

ajantom

65 days + bank holidays 😉 yes, I’m a teacher.
    Though I’d say about a quarter to a third of my holidays are spent doing work.

ssbnreso
    Free Member

10 days in the summer, 10 at Xmas which are shut downs (car manufacturer)+ summer bank holidays + 9 lieu days which we can take throughout the year.
    Extra lieu day every five years up to a maximum of 12, which I’m now at.

Sounds a lot but doesn’t feel it!

br
    Free Member

In the private sector the most I ever got was 25 days plus BH’s. Now in the public sector I’ve started on that, some long-service colleagues (ie pretty much everyone but me) get 31 days plus BH’s.

Also have flexi-time, so can easily get another 12 days pa (and more since it is manager discretion not centrally managed).

MoreCashThanDash

Civil service here. Now down to one day privilege leave, the rest got added to my 30 days leave, giving me 31.5 days. Think you still start on 25.

Plus we get flexitime, though mine gets used to fit in around school runs and events, rather than days off.

stumpy01

25 days, plus public holidays.
    The building is closed over Christmas, so we normally have to use 3 of the days for that period, although I would anyway so it makes little difference.

I worked somewhere several years ago, where it was 25 days, plus you could buy up to 8 days (I think) via salary sacrifice so you ended up with 33 days holiday.
    Was quite an expensive way to do it, but a lot of people did.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

20 days + 5 bank holidays and compulsory xmas shutdown which varies from year to year. I think its a good one this year.
    Not taken any days off this year as I’ve booked 3 weeks off in august and I can’t wait.

TheFlyingOx

218 days a year

jambalaya
    Free Member

20 is towards the bottom end these days, 30 towards the top. When I started working in the US it was 10 days in your first year and none to be taken in the first 6 months !

I am on 25 now (having spent last 15 years with 30) and am noticing the squeeze.

andytherocketeer

Move to Germany. 30 + PH is normal, but since several PH are on tuesdays/thursdays, companies often throw in the mon or fri as a bonus (or it may come out of the 30 up to a maximum of 5) and have a site shutdown.
    So between Easter and mid-June, there’ll be 3 4-day weekends and 1 3-day weekend for many. Occasionally lose 1 day though, when you get a bank holiday Sunday.

HansRey

In Finnish public sector, i get 30 days plus bank holidays and holiday money. I can swap the holiday money for days if it’s agreed with my boss. I can use them whenever i like.

My girlfriend in private sector gets 25 days plus bank holidays. Her workplace shuts down over the summer, so she must use them in a narrow window.

I’m surprised by how good the holiday entitlement is for the UK! I might have to come back

simmy
    Free Member

I’m having 28 Days this year, the most I’ve done ever but, being Self Employed, its a case of saving up for them.

I’m using the excuse of working 3 x 12 hour Days and 6 x 8 hour days on average a week for having 28 days.

bigblackshed

Day and office staff get 25 + 8 bank holidays. That’s for a 35 hour week.

Shift workers, 4 on 4 off get 24 x 12 hour days off. Xmas etc come out of the allowance. But you “only” work 158 days a year compared to 227 days for day and office staff.

25 + 8 bank holidays seems to be the norm within good manufacturing. I’ve dismissed job offers where the company was offering less, and who thought they were being generous.

footflaps

I get 25 days per year + 1 extra for having been here more than 5 years + bank holidays. However, my boss can never be bothered to approve my holiday requests and once the date of the holiday passes, the HR system resets and removes pending holiday requests, so I keep going away for a week and still always have 26 days left when I return 🙂

Northwind

I get 25 + bank holidays. Or that’s what I thought til after a month or so in the job I said “see you on monday” and everyone said “no you won’t, it’s a building closed day”. I said wtf is a building closed day- turned out we get an extra 10 days of holiday a year that I didn’t know about :mrgreen:

The public sector- because you’re worth it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Standard amount of holidays’ is closed to new replies.