Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Stand up paddle board
  • ferrals
    Free Member

My mrs wants to get an sup for flat water paddling. She wants an inflatable. Are the o’shea ones any good?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just don’t. Get a canoe or a rowboat or a coracle or a punt. Anything other than a paddle board for flat water.

johnhe

We were near lake Geneva in the summer. There were tons of people paddle boarding – looks like great fun. My wife and kids tried it and raved about it. On flat water it looks like good fun and it also looks like it would be great upper body exercise.

ferrals
    Free Member

Nah, she likes it. I was firmly anti, and I’ve been around boats and boards since before I could walk (used to get strapped to the front of my old mans windsurfer!), but actually it’s ok.

convert

I want to like them, but can’t. Good for drifting around in the med and especially good if there is stuff under the water to look at as you are at a better angle to the water surface so get less reflection. But in the UK, a kayak or canoe every time for me.

The only inflatable one’s I have used were from Red. OK, but if you are heavier than average they need to be well blown up to the max of recommended pressure or beyond not to be a bit flexy.

Edit. They seem pricey for what they are. New fad tax?

bikebouy
    Free Member

One of my other hobbies this. But I’m a wave head.. Flat waters fine and great for pootling estuaries, rivers, sea near coasts and such.

Great sport IMO.

Inflatables are ok, but big and heavy. I’d always recommend a pop out for a first time, something like a 10.6 and that’d do.
    Loads of sups around these days, some inflates are actually really rather good, go for established brands like Starboard, RRD, Naish, RED and such.. Look at Robin Hood watersports website for cheaper options.

GrahamS

Where you based ferrals?

We’ve got a local guy that does regular trips down the Tyne, as well as a bit of sea stuff off the coast. He sells boards and does test rides.

I’m still getting the hang of it myself:

ferrals
    Free Member

Cheers all, graham, in s.wales with lots of coastal stuff near by, there are quite a few groups that do it I think.

Bikebuoy. This is the one she was looking at, pretty much the most she wants to spend. O’shea

Seems ok? Inflatable is a bonus because our fav beach is a bit of a walk – plus we are running out of space in the garage!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

That O’Shea does look sorted.

tomhughes46

My local club use those O’Shea boards and seem to like them, they are used as hire boards and seem durable. I prefer Red, the RSS battens do add a lot of stiffness. My only thought is 10’2″ x 32 is a bit of an odd size, and the paddle looks crap. It won’t be very quick, but is fairly big for playing in the surf. If she just want something to have fun on and enjoy then it’ll be a good choice for that money until she realises she needs 5 boards and 3 paddles!

ferrals
    Free Member

Thanks tom. It won’t be used in the surf, just flat water stuff, we use ‘non paddle’ boards in the waves.

If it doesn’t have battens does this mean it will be a bit wobbly if there’s a little bit of chop?

She’s already identified ‘needing’ a different paddle. 😆 with my bike expenditure I can’t complain 😳

neilco
    Free Member

SUP or kayak – both are good at different things. If you want a SUP, go for a SUP. I’m out on either of mine most weekends with my four year old daughter messing around on the front. Only flat water for us so far.

I’d question inflatable though? Seems like a faff. Even with a walk to the beach you’d be fine with a normal SUP as they are light and just get a bag for them with shoulder strap. Easy. Does mean you need a roof rack for the car, which can get pricey. Storage is a bit of pain as they’re not small! I’ve got a 9’8* by 32* – I’m 70kg and daughter is 13kg, and together we probably push the weight for that size a bit.

sharkbait
    Free Member

SUP’s are great. BB I normally agree with you in most stuff but not this:

Inflatables are ok, but big and heavy. I’d always recommend a pop out for a first time, something like a 10.6 and that’d do.

They’re all big but I wouldn’t say they’re heavy – at least with an inflateable you can easily pack it down for storage/transfer (we’ve taken ours on our sailing holidays twice now (Sardinia and Croatia) and they go in the plane as just another piece of luggage. Inflatables also are also tougher.
    Although Farrel O’Shea is a buddy of mine I’d spend a little more and get a RED (hope he’s not reading this!)

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m only going off the inflatables that Starboard do.. They’re a bit..odd.

O Shea? Looks good that, first board for a few years whilst you get the hang of it and then get..

A wave board 😆

Anyway, it’s Autumn, sales of 2015 stuff well underway as 2016 real easy is always Sept, so you are bound to find a bargain.

If you are after a website, we all use bsupa

jambalaya
    Free Member

In my limited experience with them (Holiday in Turkey) you need flat water, any sort of waves and they are quite tricky. I’d say trying to get the hang of it on the sea in the UK will be a cold and miserable experience. I think they are for lakes and rivers. Friends who have them are very fit and active and say the board is great for abs and knees and balance. They have inflatables (don’t know the brand sorry) as their car is too small for them to go on the roof. Is the wife going to pump it up and his is she with falling off into cold water every 5 minutes ?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Purely for information you understand..

and this is actually what I/me and me mates do.. it really isn’t that difficult..just a huge amount of fun..

ferrals
    Free Member

Cheers all, she’s ordered one so we’ll see how it goes. Bikebuoy – I’ll post some pictures of proper waves later!!

sharkbait
    Free Member

What did she go for?

ferrals
    Free Member

The O’shea one as it was £450, the Red ones weren’t reduced so its quite a big difference in price, plus price included paddle and everything.

sharkbait
    Free Member

That’s cheap – good buy.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Stand up paddle board’ is closed to new replies.