Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • SS road hubs
  • padkinson
    Free Member

So I’ve managed to acquire another vintage road bike – a Dawes Jaguar. Now I’ve already got a fixed gear bike for general getting around, and I’d quite like something similar, but a bit easier to actually train on – being able to freewheel on corners would be nice in some instances.

But I’m having trouble finding a dedicated road SS hub. There’s plenty of track hubs around, but nowt with a freewheel.
    I’m pretty sure it needs the old 126mm spacing, as my Raleigh did, but being springy steel it’ll easily bend in/out to 130/120mm.

Anyone seen anything?

qwerty
    Free Member

Can’t you just screw a freewheel onto the fixed sprocket threads?

JoB
    Free Member

Goldtec do a SS/Fixed hub with replaceable axles so you can fit it to any spaced frame, you can screw a freewheel onto the fixed thread, as you can any fixed hub

padkinson
    Free Member

I’ve read a couple of threads that reckon putting a freewheel on a track hub would work, but not engage all the threads. So the consensus was that it’d be fine for smooth/light riders, but not for mashers for fear of stripping the thread.
    I do have a bit of a tendency to mash, and I’m not too keen on stripping threads!

JoB
    Free Member

i’ve run a freewheel on a fixed hub on singlespeed CX bike for several years, it gets a bit of mashing, it’s been fine

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

loads of fixed/freewheel hubs out there.

I have a paul one thats super nice but pricey,

heres a surly one:

Clicky

Novatec, Miche, Halo all do versions also.

Some you can space out to 126mm with spacers and others you’ll have to bend the frame down to 120mm.

tthew

I have a Surly one, it’s nice and comes in quite a few widths, quite pricy though. Charlie the Bikemonger has them I think.

Free/fixed combinations are often termed flip-flop hubs, you might have some success with searching for that.

padkinson
    Free Member

Hmmm, I wasn’t really after a flip flop hub, purely for bike-tart reasons! I don’t want unnecessary unused threads cluttering it up!

But it does seem like the most likely option at the moment.

breninbeener

I have a White Industries ENO hub. It is a thing of great beauty. It has a fixed side and flipflops to have a screwon free wheel.

The really cool part is its an eccentric so u can use it on a frame with vertical dropouts.

i love it on my fixie

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

BMX hub like profile with a longer axle/female bolts??

Mind you, you don’t get more tarty than Pauls or Phil Wood

schmiken
    padkinson
    Free Member

I’m just going to use the hubs that are on there at the moment I think. They’re pretty standard fare Maillard, but I think with a couple of spacers a DX freewheel should fit.
    Then I’ve always got the option of going 1/2×6 if needed.

epicyclo

padkinson – Member
    I’ve read a couple of threads that reckon putting a freewheel on a track hub would work, but not engage all the threads. So the consensus was that it’d be fine for smooth/light riders, but not for mashers for fear of stripping the thread.

My take on that is that if it won’t strip with a fixie cog, it’s not going to strip with a freewheel.

TiRed

Just screw it on a Miche Primato Low Flange and be done. You won’t be undoing it by back-pedaling and hence you don’t need a lockring.

Better still, ride it fixed and you don’t have to pretend with the absence of a flip flop 😉

hopster
    Free Member

Sightly off topic but apart from Surly does anyone make a nice disc compatible 135mm fixed hub?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘SS road hubs’ is closed to new replies.