Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • SS rear wheel slipping
  • acsevens

I’m having problems with the rear wheel slipping on my Cotic Simple. It has track ends and I’m currently just using a QR skewer – when pedalling up steep hills it occasionally shifts forwards.

The rear hub is a Hope Pro II – does anyone know if using a conversion kit to a bolt through axle (such as on the link below) would help tighten things up a bit.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-pro-2-evo-mtb-rear-10mm-bolt-in-conversion-kit/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&utm_content=Hope%20Pro%202%20Evo%20MTB%20Rear%2010mm%20Bolt-In%20Conversion%20Kit%20-%20Silver&kpid=5360465761&sku=5360465761&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=5360465761uk&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=s3CzOIR2m_dc%7cpcrid%7c%7cpkw%7c%7cpmt%7c%7cprd%7c5360465761uk&dest=1&curr=GBP

Or am I looking at a tugnut type thing?

wwaswas

Or am I looking at a tugnut type thing?

this. Even with a bolted axle.

amedias
    Free Member

PRO II can be converted to bolt up, no need for tugs then.
    What skewer are you using though, if you use a decent internal cam one like a Shimano and you shouldn’t get slippage.

29er Simple or 26er?

I don’t know if the dropouts changed on the 29er but on my Simple it has axle adjustment screws so cant slip anyway.

takisawa2

It should help a lot.
    Not used Pro2 as SS, but plenty of Shimano hubs. The solid axle is a straight swap & I had no issues with slipping after converting.

acsevens

Its a 29er. There aren’t unfortunately any adjustments screws to stop slippage.

Just using an old no name skewer, after snapping the lever on an XT one after doing it up too tight 😳 …

my only concern with a tugnut is getting the wheel out, is it not a bit of a faff?

cp

I used chain tugs with horiz dropouts and QR skewer, worked perfectly, and I can heave on the pedals…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dmr-chain-tugs/rp-prod216

wwaswas

getting the wheel out, is it not a bit of a faff?

Undo the QR until the tugnut body is clear of the dropout and you can slide the wheel forward far enough to get the chain off the cog and it’ll slide out then.

JoB
    Free Member

i’ve used a Shimano QR and a DMR tug-nut (driveside only) with no problems

used a wingnut on the tug-nut bolt to adjust the tension quickly and easily, minimal faffage

acsevens

Helpful stuff, thanks all

iwmunt
    Free Member

I use a Halo hex skewer thing on my SS inbred. No probs

Haze

Pro II never goes anywhere, it’s the bolted SS/trials version but use a tugnut also…belt & braces and all that.

Do you not have the screws in the drop outs or are they long gone (as are mine)?

danielgroves
    Free Member

I found that I was moving my rear wheel even with a tugnut. Surly piece on the drive side with a shimano QR fixed all my problems though,

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Pro 2 with Hope QR and on one cheapo chain tug.

Absolutely no problem.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘SS rear wheel slipping’ is closed to new replies.