• This topic has 15 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by mm93.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • SRAM gx crank ,self extracting crank bolt/cap help..
  • mm93
    Free Member

Hi I am looking for some help with removing the SRAM gx (1000?)crank on a 2018 Boardman 29 pro as the bottom bracket needs replacing. My problem being that the outer cap/ bolt on the drive side is missing and I am not sure what I need to order exactly,and my local bike shop is closed. My son’s Whyte t130 has a SRAM descendant crank which also is self extracting but the outer cap is much smaller than on the gx so its not as simple as just ordering a SRAM cap😤 Can anyone who knows for definite link me to the correct part on eBay / chain reaction etc? Thanks.

martinhutch

The descendant is Truvativ, not Sram?

You’ll need to buy the bolt as well the cap, I suspect, searching for your bottom bracket variant ( GXP or Dub) throws up some options.

I probably have a Dub one somewhere which will never get used again that you can have.

nigew
    Free Member

I’m 99% certain this is the tool you need
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lifeline-x-tools-crank-extractor/rp-prod10181
    You will need something to fill the hole in the axle once the bolt is out, a 5p piece used to do the trick on hollowtech cranks

EDIT
    this on ebay may be better, it appears to have the plug on the end

mm93
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies,Nige I already have a tool like this which I have used in the past on Shimano cranks, however the threaded part of this that tightens into the crank arm is too small for the SRAM crank unfortunately.
    Martinhutch that would be brilliant I would like to take you up on this offer if you manage to find it. I could send payment via PayPal?

martinhutch

Just message me with your address – are you sure it’s a dub crank before I send it?

martinhutch

Although, having just dug out the crank, I’m having trouble getting the bugger off at the moment…have put something on it to soak in and hopefully loosen it, will try some heat tomorrow.

ocrider

An 8mm Allen key on the non drive side is all you should need to take a GX crank off. If you’re using a bigger key, you’re removing the end cap.

Tracey

Is it GXP, Dub or BB30. We have all 3 and they all come off with a big Allen key. Sometimes need a lot of force to start with

martinhutch

If the little cap is missing, the self extracting bolt has nothing to push against so it just spins helplessly in the crank. Mine fell off during a ride without me noticing, which was a pain.

ocrider

Forget what I said, I’m still stuck in GXP land.

My Google skills tell me that it’s a dub crankset, so you’ll need what martinhutch is offering. And an 8mm hex.

martinhutch

What MartinHutch might be offering if I can get the bloody thing out :). My Parktool pin spanner is making no progress at the moment.

mm93
    Free Member

mm93
    Free Member

This is a picture of mine, the bolt you can see in the middle I have been able to remove but the crank is solid on the splines still. Ive given it a little bit of force with a mallet but got nowhere.
    I’m not sure if it’s dub or not to be honest but the thread the cap sits into is 30mm ish ?
    Don’t go to too much trouble Martin, it’s not like I can go far at the moment and I do have other bikes. Thanks.

walleater

Christ this is painful!

I’m 99% sure it’s SRAM part no. 11.6900.002.160 (google it and order from where you want)

That’s the one we order when the bolt invariably cracks after being torqued to **** several times.

fossy

I have a Boardman FS Pro with the 1000 chainset. You need to order the end cap

SJS Cycles in stock.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainsets/sram-crank-arm-bolt-m15-m26-alloy-selfextracting-gxp-black/

Top tip, Get yourself a Praxis Works replacement BB – far better than the SRAM one and about £30.

mm93
    Free Member

Cheers chaps, that’s great. I’ll order one of those then thanks.
    Fossy, would I need any special praxis specific tools to install the praxis BB or can I make do with basic tools?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘SRAM gx crank ,self extracting crank bolt/cap help..’ is closed to new replies.