Home Forums Bike Forum SRAM DUB bottom bracket life

• This topic has 21 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Yak.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • SRAM DUB bottom bracket life
  • windysurfer
    Free Member

Push fit SRAM Dub bottom bracket only lasted 1500 miles (9 months) before this happened

DUB BB

I was hoping this new standard would last a little longer.

Are there any alternatives available yet,which may last a bit longer?

Can’t find anything on google.

cheers

joebristol

What have you done to that?! I haven’t seen much comment online about Dub being as hit and miss as GXP can be. The sealing is meant to be a lot more thorough than gxp. I’ve got both standards – I’ve been not too bad with gxp and the dub I’ve had no issues with so far.

windysurfer
    Free Member

It started clicking slight;y on Wednesday nights ride but I could find or see anything worng in the garage and it all felt smooth and quite.

Drove up to the lake yesterday and it started again on the first climb and got gradually worse over the next 20 miles or so but it was such a nice day I din’t want to cut my ride short so I just carried on, lucky I made it back to the car.
    When I took the cranks out the driveside bearing disintegrated.

None drive side seemed fine.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

That usage and life is about right for a pressfit.
    The dub BSA is fantastic but when it comes to pressfit you can’t polish a turd and getting a decent solutions is expensive .
    Look at hope for something that will last s but longer but not break the bank
    Look at rwc for an expensive option that will last a few years if maintained.
    Pressfit is like giving my wife gin……..starts off ok but a few hrs in all hell breaks loose

martinhutch

I destroyed one in two midsummer months, somehow. Maybe I got a bad one.

ac282

What BB shell is that? Fitting an oversize axle into a frame with a bb86 shell is going to leave little space for decent bearings.

boobs

Mine lasted 200 miles… raceface version. Not impressed. Nothing mad. Bit of Ridgeway, 1 dry Peak ride and some bimbling. Not fit for purpose.

martinhutch

What BB shell is that?

If that was at me, a 92. But the point about bearing size probably applies to this as well.

stanfree
    Free Member

8 months on my sons commencal, total shite.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

8 MTHS under what use …that’s pretty fair unless he only rides once a month but he might commute everyday ….too vague mate
    Watch the guy Martin video after his 24hr solo ride on how many hope bb he’d gone through in a year .his reply because I ride the bloody thing in all weathers everyday but if he simply said I’ve gone through 4 hope bb this year total shite you’d be thinking that’s not right but when you learn he commutes everyday and does various events you be the bigger picture

PJM1974
    Free Member

Press fit isn’t all bad, I’ve an XTR BB92 that’s clocked almost four years. My experiences with SRAM BBs have never been great, best avoided TBH.

richardthird

A mates pish-fit is clicking on his Trance 29er after a couple months / few hundred dry kms. Pish.

On the other hand my dub BSA on the Fluid is 7 months in, not a peep. Lush.

jayx2a
    Free Member

My non DUB one got changed at 18months as thought it was creaking but even then the LBS said it was looking ok.

ivorhogseye
    Free Member

These DUB BBs sound great. Can I fit one to my 2015 XX1 GXP cranks or do they only fit DUB cranks?
    Thanks

reggiegasket
    Free Member

DUB is basically a 30mm BB with a placky tophat inside, and we know 30mm BBs don’t last long (particularly pressfit/BB92). 9 months sounds pretty good to me.

24mm BBs are the way to go. The industry’s obsession with stiff aluminium 30mm/DUB axles has taken it down the wrong road, IMO. Steel 24mm axles may be a tad heavier and maybe not quite so stiff, but the axles and the BBs last much longer. Shimano may have dropped the ball with microspline but they got cranks right from day 1.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Aren’t bigger bearings like that more susceptible to water ingress from capillary action of water moving past the seal into the bearing ?The larger area they need to try to seal the more water than can draw in ?I find that’s the number one killer of bearings for me is the drawing in of water and then the corrosion that follows.

joemmo
    Free Member

Shimano may have dropped the ball with microspline but they got cranks right from day 1.

You didn’t experience the joy of octalink then?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

sorry, I was implicitly thinking the HT2 period onwards. All BBs before that have been repressed from my memory.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Octalink is amazing, they should bring out an oversize version to fit T47 BB shells.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I’ve used a sram dub bb threaded and found it pretty impressive tbh

However my cranks went for warranty last year and the axle had scoring marks from the bearings

I was told that the wear was due to improper fitting… It was fitted absolutely fine like any other crank I’ve had… There was no play in teh bb or the cranks but they assured me it was due to not fitting correctly… I’ve absolutely no idea how I could fit it wrong tbh but there you go…

The bsa threaded bb I can only say good things about tbh I can’t fault the life of mine for 26 quid I paid

P-Jay
    Free Member

sorry, I was implicitly thinking the HT2 period onwards.

I do think I’m going to miss my HT2 BBs soon. My 6 month / 1000km external Dub BB started to creek pretty early in it’s life, but seems to be okay at the moment.

My last bike was external BB, I’d kill one a year, usually without warning, it would be fine, then a annoying squeal mid-ride, get home and sure enough the next day one of the cups would be seized, but it was okay – I’d walk 15 mins down the road to the LBS, they have one of those large blue Shimano displays with all the various bits and shits you might need. £18 later (and sometimes kick myself why I didn’t buy one from CRC for £10 and keep it in stock) I’d be back up and using my 15 year old tool I’d have it swapped in 20 mins.

I already know what going to happen, because I’m a bit stupid. My DUB BB is going to fail, I can’t remove the crank because I lost the outer bolt thing that you use to self-extract and I haven’t bought a replacement, but lets say I do. I can’t remove the BB because I don’t have the right sized tool. I seem to remember that boxed replacements come with a plastic adaptor, but that might not be true. I’ll walk down to the LBS, they won’t have one, because they seem hard to find in stock, they’ll offer to order me one, but I’ll decline and spend a few hours trying to find one locally because I want to ride the next day, say I can. The adaptor either won’t exist because I dreamt it, or wont fit my tool for some reason or other. I’ll swear a lot, book it into the LBS to be done. Miss a ride, feel stupid because even as I type this, I still won’t order one, or the bolt, or the tool until I need it because I’m tight and a bit thick.

Yak

My wife has been through 2 dub bsa bbs in about 8 or 9 months. This about on par with HT2 for her though, so it’s ok, but just ok as they cost more than xt HT2 bbs.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘SRAM DUB bottom bracket life’ is closed to new replies.