Home Forums Bike Forum Sram centerline XR rotors with Shimano 105 road calipers?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Sram centerline XR rotors with Shimano 105 road calipers?
  • yohandsome
    Free Member

Wondering if they’re a good match, looking for new rotors – hear some say centerlines are quieter than Shimano’s offerings.

scotroutes

I just replaced some Avid rotors with Shimano as the Avid were unrelentingly noisy. The Avids were fine with the BB7s I was using before I changed to Shimano hydraulics.

Blazin-saddles

I run Ultegra callipers on Centreline clx rotors and they’re much more quiet than the Dura Ace ones I took off. The Shimano ones had a real warble to them as they’re alu cores which go out of true easily and make the noise.

yohandsome
    Free Member

I run Ultegra callipers on Centreline clx rotors and they’re much more quiet than the Dura Ace ones I took off. The Shimano ones had a real warble to them as they’re alu cores which go out of true easily and make the noise.

Cool, also have Dura ace rotors and haven’t been happy with them, both were delivered out of true and they’re noisy in the wet (although haven’t tried w resin pads). No need for ice-tech alu cores here so centerline XR seems like a better choice and equally important, they look better IMO.

I wonder if the uneven track width of the dura ace rotors contribute to warble? I measured them 9.5 mm at the narrowest and 15 mm at the widest, whereas centerlines are around 15 mm even (shimano pads are 13.5mm tall).

Blazin-saddles

There’s lots of theories why they make so much noise, but I think it’s the alu core, even if you true the things perfectly, one hard braking session and they’re all over the shop again. terrible. I’m 85kg and I’ve been happy since swapping, I think there’s a bit less ‘bite’ to the brakes but they stop well and look good IMO.

yohandsome
    Free Member

d

So far so good, came truer than the dura ace discs out of the box and looks better without any glossy piano black.

13thfloormonk

They look good, let us know how they sound once wet and cold please! That’s my ultimate test.

yohandsome
    Free Member

Will do. Also why dont the logos line up on left and right sides of the conits, now I can only have the logos properly aligned on the drive side :p

yohandsome
    Free Member

They do seem stiffer, so a bit more sensitive to proper alignment. No rain yet.

breninbeener

Am i correct in thinking these discs seem quite expensive at £50-70?
    Is there a deal anywhere?

akira

Got ultegra rotors currently, if they get noisy I might see when Hope’s centre lock rotors come out.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have the same as yohandsome. They be good. Not so light though, if that matters.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Interested in this..  Have Ultegra rotors and although they have been mostly fine, I did the Bealach last year on a miserably wet day and they were howling like a banshee all day so if it’s a rotor specific issue than I’d be interested in a change..

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

I realise that putting Shimano and Campag on the same bike is heresy and I should be flogged just for suggesting such a thing but the Campy rotors are even nicer and a lot cheaper.. any experience of noise/performance.?

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/campagnolo-afs-03-disc-rotor-736462

Blazin-saddles

Got ultegra rotors currently, if they get noisy I might see when Hope’s centre lock rotors come out.

Hope rotors have historically not played well with Shimano calipers due to the rivets hitting.

Campy rotors are even nicer and a lot cheaper.. any experience of noise/performance.?

There’s some discussion on t’interwebz that says the Campag rotors are thicker than others and also a bit noisy due to the machining. it may or may not be cobblers though.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

There’s some discussion on t’interwebz that says the Campag rotors are thicker than others and also a bit noisy due to the machining. it may or may not be cobblers though.

Yeah, saw some mention of that. Hmm, combination of the XR discs and some Swisstop DiscRS pads might be the go to option then.  Having said that I’m not sure I’m fussed enough about it to spend £160+ on it.

yohandsome
    Free Member

I have the same as yohandsome. They be good. Not so light though, if that matters.

But allegedly aero, which naturally matters more ;p

yohandsome
    Free Member

First really rainy day, and a lot of noise from the front with shimano organic pads, see how they fare in the future.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Sram centerline XR rotors with Shimano 105 road calipers?’ is closed to new replies.