Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Squeezebox on a NAS
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I need to get my NAS (Zyxel) running squeezebox, am struggling to find a straightforward “how to” (admittedly I’ve not tried super hard yet!)

Can you help?

cynic-al
    Free Member

*bump*

Ihad a bit of a look around online last night but can’t see any idiots’ guide 🙁

Markie
    Free Member

I followed links from here to install mine… installation was fiddlier than I’d hoped but the server has been rock solid for the 18 months since.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta. I’d read that page but had no clue as to what type of NAS mine was compared to those they list.

woody2000

I have a Zyxel NSA 220 Plus running a squeezebox server, I don’t recall it being difficult to set up. Go to the package manager and install (think it installs php-mysql-phpmyadmin automatically, but if not I think you need that too).

Once installed, I started the server (and stopped all the other media servers to save resources), then configured it via the web interface. I think all I had to do was tell it where the music was and away it went. It did take a long time to index all the music though, maybe 10 hours or so.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta, off out just now but will give that a go – it’s fairly close to plian English 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well after having worked out WTF “package manager” is (thanks manual, not!) iy seems fairly straightforward.

Fingers crossed.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OK Sqeezecenter is installed but it’s not seeing my radio or touch player. Nor can I see what yo do on either, or the pc, as to how to acheve this 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ah, got it. Sadly it appears my player won’t play mp4/apple lossless, but it did before 😡

From squeezebox:

Note: AAC files come in two forms: M4A and DRM protected M4P. M4A files are created by a user on iTunes from a CD; M4P files are bought from the iTunes Music Store. SlimServer cannot play DRM protected M4P files. SlimServer will play M4A files but it streams them in an uncompressed format – which is fine on a local wired network but will use too much bandwidth over wireless and the internet. To convert AAC files to MP3 on the fly so that they stream in a more usable compressed format, follow these steps:

It played OK wireless before! Will try it wired.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh well, that’s not working 😡

cynic-al
    Free Member

Can anyone help? My logitech players won’t play the Apple lossless format, even when wired in, although they both used to do so….from teh PC hard disc 💡

The software on them is up to date. They will play MP3s OK. I understand that the decoding is native for FLAC only and so it seems that there is no decoding software on my NAS?

How do I get this? I’ll google.

doglover
    Free Member

Sorry don’t know but if you get stuck guys on forum are good.

cynic-al
    Free Member

WEll squeezecenter seems to have apple lossless not enabled and mpeg4 enabled but AAC only. Itunes shows files as “apple lossless” but windows explorer shows them as “MPEG-4”.

what is going on?

squeezecenter by alan cole, on Flickr

cynic-al
    Free Member

BLimey I’ve just re-read the above and realise that m4a files won’t play uncompressed! So I need to re-rip. itunes doesn’t do flac. I tried dbpoweramp and it was the slowest ripper ever. I may just go high bitrate mp3.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Squeezebox on a NAS’ is closed to new replies.