Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 513 total)
  • Spring clean
  • RustyNissanPrairie

Bert was asked to test the ultrasonic animal deterrents that CivicPride installed to stop sheep eating plants – not very successful! Bert wasn’t bothered at all.

Half a bag of litter collected.

Arty weekend photo of a Redbull can with Peel Tower in the background.

RustyNissanPrairie

Not my town!

not my litter…but I’ll tidy it anyway ‘coz I’m nice like that!.

Woke up super early so took Bert to his favourite park in the next town. Next generation **** have had a great Tuesday night!

kayak23

Harold’s mornings be like…

RustyNissanPrairie

Full bag collected (mainly from the nearby retail path). Its school holidays so the litter levels increase.

Pulled some JK – the guerilla garden is cleared of big stuff but there is loads of it on the surrounding Riverside.

Handsome Bert❤️

RustyNissanPrairie

Don’t think these animal scarers are working!

**** (artificial) grass flytipped in the park – informed LBC

Trolley returned – no pound coin😕
    1 bag collected.

That’s us done for the week – weekend’s are for adventure walks!

RustyNissanPrairie

3.5miles, half a bag collected. The town is definitely getting cleaner. Last year a Monday morning would have been a full/possibly 2 bags.

One of CivicPride’s flowerbed projects they’ve been working on this weekend.

upload image

RustyNissanPrairie

Pivot Cycles is no more!

I always thought it was cool that I lived somewhere that somebody (it wasn’t me) had stuck a Pivot Cycles sticker on a wooden gate on a popular mountain bike route. It links Rawtenstall to Ramsbottom offroad.
    That gate (and it’s sticker) has rotted and fallen over – at least Pivot sticker side upwards!

Billy Big Balls (mill/business suite owner) groundsman had a moan at me last time this happened

Meat head groundsman.
    “here!…you’re one of that lot. Don’t dump the stuff you dredge out of the river here – there’s a sign”

Me
    “Okay – ‘that lot’ (CivicPride) don’t tidy private buildings/grounds – that’s your responsibility. And besides if you put the litter bin back that was there for years where you now put that sign it wouldn’t be as bad”

I don’t want to tell him it’s the local drug addict. He’s a super talented guy (I’ve heard him playing a piano) and does proper hardcore Wombleing including cleaning the river but is deep in the ravages of addiction. No doubt Meat head groundsman will moan again next time I see him.

🤷‍♂️

Brushed Bert!

RustyNissanPrairie

Its the wrong jacket Grommit

Set off in my Montane ‘wind jammer’ only for it to start hammering down – got soaked.

LBC has strimmed Cow Lane as it was getting impassable👍

Finished off yesterday’s bag.

RustyNissanPrairie

Some mornings i just can’t be bothered.

matt_outandabout

Shit post..😉

RustyNissanPrairie

The world is a scruffier place by one bag full this morning!

RustyNissanPrairie

Anyone been inspired to litter pick over the weekend?

Back on it this morning.
    Tried to untangle the small watering can tied to a tree in the park but it’s just a bit too high to fully untangle. A project for another day.

1 litter bag collected.

The judges are due this Saturday for the first Britain in Bloom walkabout so lots of CivicPride / Rawtenstall residents are busy making the place look amazing.

RustyNissanPrairie

Here’s what CivicPride are upto in the Rossendale Valley. It was set up 23years ago by one of the shop keepers and has gone from strength to strength.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/940276209934941/permalink/1336791020283456/

https://www.instagram.com/civic.pride.rossendale/

RustyNissanPrairie

Firework **** wits

Firework and lemonade party. I think in urban dictionary terms fireworks (think Mega bang multi shot repeaters rather than a box of Standard fizzlers) = new shipment of drugs have arrived or some something🤷‍♂️

Anyway….tidied up. Did some planting in the guerilla garden of two schrubs.

montgomery
    Free Member
    villageidiotdan
    Free Member

Great thread, well done.  I tend to pick litter once every fortnight as honestly that’s about how often I go for a walk.  We don’t have much and I suspect the rich types around here think i’m on community service but on the basis I don’t care what they think I will continue!

Very inspirational, I’ll pop out for an hour tonight in your honour!

RustyNissanPrairie

@villageidiotdan

Great thread, well done. I tend to pick litter once every fortnight as honestly that’s about how often I go for a walk. We don’t have much and I suspect the rich types around here think i’m on community service but on the basis I don’t care what they think I will continue!

I started litter picking 5year ago when we became guardians for our dog, the slower pace of walking Vs cycling made me realise how much litter is about.
    I generally go a different route every day which is why I manage to get full bags of litter, my home town is fairly large and has a McDonalds and a few takeaways hence always litter to pick up.
    Grabbing at litter kinda also gives me something to do whilst having a ‘follow the dog walk’. Evening walks are for adventures!

Very inspirational, I’ll pop out for an hour tonight in your honour!

I was inspired by Civicpride in Rawtenstall, so I’m happy this thread has inspired others. Thank you.

RustyNissanPrairie

pumped out track

…. thankfully we are getting a new one!

A good example of the international standard unit of measurement – a McCup. This one when calibrated was found to be exactly 1 McCup away from the restaurant.

1 bag collected.

RustyNissanPrairie

Ooooh!……I wonder what my Christmas pressy will be?

Unless it’s sarcasm? Or not meant for me?🤔

anyways, urban explorering around town this morning with Bert bored on a short lead (but he is out Canicross training later today with Lucy so not too hard done to!)

1 bag collected, full bins reported – Britain in Bloom judging on Saturday.

RustyNissanPrairie

Britain in Bloom judging day tomorrow.

The whole town is awash with colour from hanging baskets to window displays, yarn bombing everywhere, sunflowers galore, the place looks amazing.
    Good luck Rawtenstall!

host image

RustyNissanPrairie

The shop that started it – Jan Shuttleworth @ Sunday Best. Thank you!

Town square displays from Rossendale Hospice.

Shop windows along Bank Street

RustyNissanPrairie

re-varnished benches, retirement home display (Holme Manor), more yarn bombing, closed shop front getting in on the action, town square.

Amazing what volunteers can do.

Half a bag of litter collected.

tjagain

Anyone been inspired to litter pick over the weekend?

I’ve done a wee bit guerrilla gardening.  good on the litter pickers!

kayak23

Looks lovely.
    You could eat your dinner off Rossendale 🙂

RustyNissanPrairie

Looks lovely.
    You could eat your dinner off Rossendale

The idea is that it’s sustainable going forward – it’s not just for Britain in Bloom judging.

RustyNissanPrairie

Quick hour before work (annual maintenance/engineering shutdown).

Mainly micro litter picking (cig butts).
    Lots of CivicPride hi-viz’s out and about doing last minute tidying. Judging starts @9:30!

RE: Dog poop, I use a large chalk bag with the liner cut out to drop in left behind dog-egg bags when I’m walking Her Royal Highness.

Keeps hands free, easy to carry a few more withou. Just an FYI, thought it might be helpful.

RustyNissanPrairie

RE: Dog poop, I use a large chalk bag with the liner cut out to drop in left behind dog-egg bags when I’m walking Her Royal Highness.

Keeps hands free, easy to carry a few more withou. Just an FYI, thought it might be helpful.

Cool story time…my favourite pre Bert dog was Derek (Dirk) our friends German Shepherd. I loved that dog…until I took it for a walk when it clearly had what I now know to be a dodgy doggy stomach. Its back end was like a farmer’s muck spreading tanker when it covered an entire embankment with Tyrolean shit render. It put me off getting our own dog. Fast forward a few years after Dirk goes to the eternal tummy tickle in the sky and we now have Bert. .

Nowadays it’s my dogs shit, picked up bagged and in my pocket with the thought process of ‘thats what temperature my dog is internally’.
    Its amazing how you go from 🤮 to 🤷‍♂️ with poo.

Anyway…back to litter

RustyNissanPrairie

Noz knobs and coneheads

Back to business as usual. 1 bag collected.

villageidiotdan
    Free Member

Its amazing how you go from 🤮 to 🤷‍♂️ with poo.

That was the most surprising that thing about parenthood too!!

Am I being naive, what’s with your yoofs and disgarding baking equipment?! For a long time I thought we had a cyclist/puncture problem round here with all the co2 canisters disgarded, is this the same sort of thing?

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Am I being naive, what’s with your yoofs and disgarding baking equipment?! For a long time I thought we had a cyclist/puncture problem round here with all the co2 canisters disgarded, is this the same sort of thing?

They’re Nitrous Oxide not CO2; laughing gas. Used to get high as well as whip cream.

villageidiotdan
    Free Member

Ooooh, I’ll take the whipped cream every time!

In other news, Rawtenstall has inspired me to spend an hour picking up a small bag of rubbish, that’s all I could find but still very satisfying.  Hope the judging went well.

RustyNissanPrairie

Hope the judging went well.

I wasn’t there – it’s my busiest time of the year at work so I did my allocated litter route first thing then left everybody else to it.
    This was the regional judging – the national is on August 3rd but the whole town looked even more amazing than usual and was really well received by the judges!

RustyNissanPrairie

grass seed and glass bottles

Turns out the cute deer that we saw running over the road towards my guerilla garden the other day then went on to eat the newly planted shrub! No sign of the schrub this morning, the surrounding vegetation was flattened and my four legged deer detector was going crackers! I hope the schrub was tasty!

Otherwise – quite a few glass bottles that weigh my litter bag down and loads of grass seeds stuck to Bert. I think he does it deliberately so he gets a morning brush.

RustyNissanPrairie

Remote seeding

Bert thinks a deer went this way!

Apple’s beginning to fall in the local park. Brought a pocketfull home to catapult over the river from our wall to the guerilla garden opposite. They might germinate (?) or at least provide a tasty treat to something.

RustyNissanPrairie

Double bagger!

Ending the week with a double bag flourish!
    My unscientific data is that motorists are the scruffiest **** group. This route alongside the A56 is a disgrace resulting in a full bag.

Happy weekend litter picking for anyone else helping their environment

RustyNissanPrairie

Back on it – National Britain in Bloom judging this week.

3.3miles, 2 Bert 💩, 1bag of litter collected, 1 sign retrieved from the road.

Anyone do any litter picking this weekend?

matt_outandabout

No, but spent last week marvelling at the lack of litter on Orkney and picking up the few wee things we did find.

soundninjauk

No, but I did do my share of fly tipping reporting. Not the smartest move to leave actual restaurant menus with your name and address in with your crap.

I’m going to become rich and famous just as soon as I invent some sort of land mine system that’s only triggered by fly tipping.

villageidiotdan
    Free Member

We’re increasingly getting fly tipping around here too. I in part blame the council as they’ve said only people paying council tax in our area can use the facility where. My view is the more convenient you make it, the less fly tipping.

Did quite a bit of litter picking last week, bit middle class of me but I’ve taken to picking up little as I play golf. Lol

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 513 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.