Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 508 total)
  • Spring clean
  • RustyNissanPrairie

What light for litter picking?

Dark at 6am nowadays – I felt like a sniper this morning wandering around with my tactical modded litter picker and wearing a poncho for the hammering rain!
    Half a soggy wet bag collected, 3deer sniffed out by Bert not shot by me .

RustyNissanPrairie

Mid week morning meandering

1bag collected.

Olly
    Free Member

i really dont know about this thread.

Full respect and admiration to what you do.
    And i agree with the “broken window” syndrome, if theres litter everywhere i can see it being a sink for more litter.

But i cant fathom who is just, letting go, of litter they’ve finished with.
    I dont imagine they get as far as thinkining “some mug will pick it up later”.
    Im almost thinking im not pickig it up because its reinforcing that thought process (that they dont go through)

Hanging’s too good for them.

RustyNissanPrairie

Conkers and acorns are in full flood now. Few pocketfulls for planting.

montgomery
    Free Member

Penultimate 90l rucsac of other peoples’ sh!te carried out of the Great Litter Mine, getting me out on a grim morning. One more to go…

RustyNissanPrairie

Wheelie good litter picking session this morning…..

1bag with broken VW wheeltrim collected

RustyNissanPrairie

Don’t know if its because I can’t see litter with it being dark or people aren’t out to drop litter but I’m only picking up half a bag or so now.

matt_outandabout

or people aren’t out to drop litter but I’m only picking up half a bag or so now.

Colder n damper = fewer folk out.

Plus, you may be fixing the broken window faster than it breaks again….

RustyNissanPrairie

Sorry snail…..

Local gravel path leading to a bench I spotted the other day that needed picking. There’s always snails on this path – i usually give them a turbo boost, pick them up and put them further in their direction of travel off the path so they don’t get trodden on when the world wakes up.

This morning – two got the turbo boost but an unseen third got that sickening underfoot crunch sound that you know must have been a snail…..

Bench area (not the bench in the photo) cleared of someone’s Kestrel Super and Redbull picnic.
    1bag collected

montgomery
    Free Member

Unfortunately, I found another Covid party site in that patch of woodland: abandoned tent and (presumably) associated rubbish. So that’s another two or three rucsac loads that I’ll be hoiking out over the coming months. The gift that keeps on giving.

RustyNissanPrairie

I’ve mentioned before on here about the International Standard unit of measurement known as the McCup. To expand on this standard – the graduations of a McCup range from 1 for the large cups to a 0.5/half McCup for the small/happy meal cups.

For anyone struggling with the concept or the length of measurement for a McCup – this morning’s example (carefully left on the handrail for the demonstration) when measured was found to be exactly a half McCup away from the restaurant.

Incidentally McDonalds won the weekend scroatyMcWanker award for the amount of their packaging discarded over the weekend.

1bag collected.

sniff
    Free Member

At the other end of the scale I live in the Highlands and we get the phenomenon of fast food packaging being dumped from cars miles from its origin. KFC full meal packaging 25 miles from the nearest KFC. Boils ma piss but no one else is going to pick it up.

Our litter issues are nowhere near towns and cities but the amount of roadside litter is unbelievable.

Hopefully the hub for the community helps keep on top of it https://instagram.com/nethylitterhub

and this thread is still inspiring others to do a small part as it did for me.

RustyNissanPrairie

Hopefully the hub for the community helps keep on top of it https://instagram.com/nethylitterhub

Nice little community approach👍

RustyNissanPrairie

My photos have disappeared🤷‍♂️
    Have I broke Stw / the internet?

RustyNissanPrairie

Reinstatement

My collection of boring dog and litter bag photos has been reinstated……so to celebrate here’s a boring picture of a dog and litter bag.

1bag collected.

montgomery
    Free Member
    RustyNissanPrairie

Ultimate trolling

Our house (former mill) is on a quiet street with another house and the rest is light industrial (think Shoreditch rather than Teeside).
    Some **** has had a shit on the pavement outside the phone exchange towards the end of our street, used half a bog roll and made no attempt to clear it/shit in a bag/put something over it. Just a mountain of human shit with a billion flies swarming on it. 🤷‍♂️

Anyway – half a bag of usual Maccys / Redbull / disposable vape post weekend detritus.

crossed

IMG_0360

After picking two bags of litter from a local section of The Ridgeway last weekend, I rode past yesterday and someone’s decided that it’s a perfect place to dump their garden and builders waste 🤬

It’s times like these that I wonder why I bother.

RustyNissanPrairie

My photos have disappeared again🤷‍♂️

1bag collected this morning.

Photo of 3second exposure of a dog that won’t keep still (you’ll probably just have to imagine it as no doubt it will disappear shortly)

Edited to add that the links are still there but the image is no longer visible.

RustyNissanPrairie

Awards!

Rawtenstall has cleaned up so far in awards week – fingers crossed for the biggie (Britain in Bloom)

1bag collected this morning

RustyNissanPrairie

The results are in from the Britain in Bloom awards ceremony today…..

Gold award for the Britain in Bloom large town category!

Clean sweep award (Glasdon sponsored glass trophy) due to the town being spotless and free from litter.

Sparrow Park (Rawtenstall memorial gardens) – Gold award for pocket gardens category.

This is in addition to the 12 awards won at the Neighborhood Award Day in Bolton earlier in the week.

I’ll post the official CivicPride communication when it’s published.

I’m so happy for all the people of CivicPride and Rawtenstall. But the real winners are us people of the town who get to live in the place that has been transformed by the efforts of volunteers and members of the community. It’s those people who inspired me to litter pick whilst wandering around with Bert and as seen in this thread has then inspired other people to do the same where they live.

RustyNissanPrairie

Better conditions for litter picking following the storm last week!

Guinness and gin were the pavement drinkers tipple of choice this weekend according to my unscientific research.

RustyNissanPrairie

It’s either not there or I can’t see it!

Half a bag collected. Can always rely on Monster swilling **** though to help fill the litter bag.

RustyNissanPrairie

Bit lighter.

….but still dark when setting off. Litter is now getting covered by fallen leaves so not very productive half bag collected.

Photo of Bert on the beach yesterday as I’m sure you can imagine this morning’s bag of litter!

matt_outandabout

Damn those like buttons not working.

RustyNissanPrairie

No Lucozade on my patch

……just empty Monster cans as usual.

Half a bag collected. The off-road paths are litter free as nobody is using them in the muddy winter months, main road pavements still have the same amount of litter.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Point of order.

There will never be a boring photo if Bert is in it.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I only visit singletrack now to read this great thread Rusty.

Excellent.

👌

RustyNissanPrairie

Bert and a bashed bollard

Half a bag collected (mainly from main roads), and a bent bollard (reported) which confused Bert.

matt_outandabout

Bent bollard? I’d suggest it is a tad more than bent. I’m left wondering if the car imposed on impact on that one.

And of my favourite twitter account – World Bollard Association.

RustyNissanPrairie

Autumn fruits

It’s that time of year when the scroats efforts over the summer months bear fruit. As plants and bushes die back and shed leaves the fruit cans are revealed!

RustyNissanPrairie

Midweek meander

Fairly boring urban route – no muddy puddles or deer. However it was exciting from a litter point!!!
    It had everything!
    660ml glass bottles
    Broken glass bottles
    Hedgerow fruit cans
    Covid facemasks
    Maccys packaging

It was that exciting that Bert forgot to poo! (1 bag collected)

matt_outandabout

However it was exciting from a litter point!!!

We need words.

RustyNissanPrairie

unencumbered

Milder weather means I don’t need gloves.
    Eating lots of carrots recently means I don’t need a torch.

Result – 1bag of mainly roadside rubbish collected.

kayak23

Well done RNP.
    I’m struggling to get involved at the moment I’m so down with all and everything 😐
    👏

RustyNissanPrairie

Well done RNP.
    I’m struggling to get involved at the moment I’m so down with all and everything 😐

Yeah I get that, crappy miserable weather doesn’t help but it will be Spring before we know it.
    Your pics of Harold on the photo thread always make me smile& 🦮👍

RustyNissanPrairie

Called in an air strike

Reported some fly tipping this morning, the local council is good at clearing shit like this up and replied immediately to say it would get a team would sort it👍

RustyNissanPrairie

Rawtenstall made the Sunday Times best place to live list ’23! I know its not just down to CivicPride and litter picking but it no doubt helps.

I’m paywalled but managed a few quick screen grabs.

RustyNissanPrairie

Ho ho ho Bert Santa has two full sacks of shit and litter presents for you boys and girls!
    Merry Christmas!

matt_outandabout

Nice one 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 508 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.