Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Sports woman of the year
  • RobHilton
    Free Member

Can’t see this done anywhere.

Couldn’t normally GAS about these things, but Rachel Atherton is amazing…

Facebook info

SWOTY nomination page

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Kadeena Cox.

Inspirational.

scotroutes

Who? (to both).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    Who? (to both).

No internet under the bridge?
    A quick hint if you really don’t know who Rachel Atherton is you can highlight the name, right click and then google her. Unless of course the Who? was a too cool for skool statement.

scotroutes

I’m merely representing the thoughts of the common man (or woman). There are all sort of niche sports represented by some fabulous sportswomen (and men). The fact is that it takes alot more than that to win any sort of annual public award.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Whilst talking to one of my mum’s friends the other day (mid-seventies, no particular interest in sport etc.) it turned out she’d heard of Rachel & knew she was a cycling world champ – I was amazed!

And quite impressed 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The fact is that it takes alot more than that to win any sort of annual public award.

OK, all the more reason to get on and add your vote to the nomination (just done) a great idea to have a seperate olympics award to allow for non olympians to get a look in this year.
    Good on them for hosting awards that can celebrate the achievments that mostly get overlooked.
    Also each WC round has had a write up on the BBC Sport page under cycling (sign up to prioritise your feed) so even as a relative minority she has had a lot of actual coverage in main media over the summer.

kimbers

kinda similar

Dressage leading over #downhill
    Let’s do something about that!!!
    Vote for @rachel atherton in the BTSport Action Woman awards….

http://sport.bt.com/vote-action-woman-2016-01364108169407

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Voted and shared

Hicksy
    Free Member

The BT thing is currently being won by the dressage rider – come on people we can’t let Downhill racing’s GOAT be beaten by a horse dancer! It’ll be Brexit and Trump all over again!

lunge

Laura Trott/Kenny from that list. And voted.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

but Laura Kenny wouldn’t believe it if she won.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀

[on the topic, why is it so difficult to understand that our chosen sport is very much a minority one? As ^, Rachel is a brilliant athlete but is generally unknown outside our world]

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Amelia Boone

mikewsmith
    Free Member

THM, it’s not but it’s also a chance for people in a sport to put forward somebody. As for not being known for the last year there was a BBC write up for each of the DH races, selected ones last year, she was on BBC breakfast before hardline taking the sports reporter down something and Gee was on Danny Bakers Red or Brown sauce quiz….
    Hardline and Rampage both went viral this year so although it’s “minority” it still gets good coverage.
    None of this should stop people from voting for who they want etc. though some people do appear to want to return to the days when only they went mountain biking and it wasn’t even close to being as popular as it is now.

twohats
    Free Member

And her competitive field consists of of about 5 other women…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No harm in voting other than a wasted vote. But I am not holding my breath for an Atherton/Semenuk accumulator however amazing both athletes are/have been this year.

CaptJon
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    kinda similar

Dressage leading over #downhill
    Let’s do something about that!!!
    Vote for @rachel atherton in the BTSport Action Woman awards….
    http://sport.bt.com/vote-action-woman-2016-01364108169407

I can’t believe Shauna Coxsey didn’t make that BT shortlist.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

twohats – Member
    And her competitive field consists of of about 5 other women…

https://www.rootsandrain.com/rider747/rachel-atherton/results/

A few more than 5 since her first WC win back in 06 I think, so 10 years near or on top of a sport

convert

Atherton is amazingly consistent definitely. But can the depth of field in women’s DH hold a candle to more mainstream sports (tennis for example). It’s not just that the sport has a low profile in the national consciousness but it also takes less to get (and stay) at the top of a sport with a few tens of professionals than many hundreds.

rOcKeTdOg

RA only does one sport, rules her out of sports woman of the year doesn’t it?

spawnofyorkshire

I can’t believe Shauna Coxsey didn’t make that BT shortlist.

That x1000

I’ve voted for Atherton, there are some other very deserving candidates on there as well, but Coxey not making the list does feel wrong. But it’s an olympic year and that does hold the trump card

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://www.facebook.com/DannyMacAskill/videos/10154099599653225/
    and mountain biking is making it to the mainstream 🙂

cyclelife
    Free Member

Not going to let a bloody horse win this are we?

scotroutes

Certainly not. I voted for Konta

chakaping
    Free Member

Laura Trott/Kenny from that list.

Laura is my favourite sportsperson full stop, but Rachel got my vote in this for the first perfect season ever in top-level DH.

I’m merely representing the thoughts of the common man (or woman).

And we could help change that by voting for our Rach.

But we know you prefer criticising to doing anything that might help promote mountain biking.

NewRetroTom

Rachel has been getting some coverage in the Daily Telegraph recently, so I think general awareness of her has increased.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Certainly not. I voted for Konta

Ah, an Australian! I suppose you’re Scottish?

Stevet1
    Free Member

Just tried to vote and it says it’s no longer accepting nominations?

chakaping
    Free Member

If it had been for greatest sporting moment or event, Maddie Hinch would have been my choice for that Olympic hockey final.

nbt

Tip – you can vote more than once if you use different browsers…

scotroutes

chakaping – Member
    But we know you prefer criticising to doing anything that might help promote mountain biking.

I’m not sure if that’s the royal “we” you’re using there (delusions of grandeur perhaps) but the rest of the comment has certainly provoked a snigger or two here.

cyclelife
    Free Member

NBT 😉 three more votes for Rachel

deadkenny
    Free Member

Getting some mainstream coverage now.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/2016/10/05/meet-rachel-atherton-the-greatest-champion-youve-never-heard-of/

rOcKeTdOg – Member 
    RA only does one sport, rules her out of sports woman of the year doesn’t it?

Doesn’t stop Andy Murray winning SPOTY (almost certainly again this year). Sports in the title. Not that he qualifies as a personality in my book. Miserable git more like, even if he’s done well (and is currently British as a result) 😉

spawnofyorkshire

If it had been for greatest sporting moment or event, Maddie Hinch would have been my choice for that Olympic hockey final.

She deserves to be on that list regardless of that moment/event. One of the best sportspersons of either gender at her position.

mefty
    Free Member

I voted for Charlotte DJ but Maddie Hinch will get my Internet Explorer vote.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Tip – you can vote more than once if you use different browsers…

You can vote as many times as you like if you clear cookies in between each 😉

scotroutes

Or use Incognito mode

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Sports woman of the year’ is closed to new replies.