Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Spontaneous Tubeless Tyre Unmount
  • balfa
    Free Member

Whilst freewheeling at slow speed on perfectly flat tarmac last night, the rear tubless tyre spontaneous unmounted accompanied by gun shot like noise that almost had me diving for cover. Luckily it happened on smooth tarmac at low speed but I shudder to think If it had happened on a high speed descent somewhere.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

Is the tyre now knacked and stretched and should be thrown out?

Tyre/rim in question was a Kenda nevegal UST 2.1 on stans flows with rim tape at around 40psi.

RealMan
    Free Member

it happened on smooth tarmac at low speed

JRA if there ever was one. You sure you weren’t hucking off your garage roof? 😉

Old tyre? Installed recently?

rickmeister

I reckon it may have stretched the bead… is it back on ok and seated properly?

have had this, inflated to about the same then one hot sunny day.. bang… tubeless jizz everywhere… one nobby nic, stretched bead… in the bin.

messiah
    Free Member

I had one go in the back of the car on a hot day – had to peel the gunk off the windows once it dried, and the car still smelt a bit fishy fpr ages. The tyre bead was damaged so it’s a right-off unless I stick a tube in it – if your bead is damaged it’s pretty obvious.

soobalias
    Free Member

im due a big kick in the nuts from tubeless.

since going 819/lust or TR i have happily survived everything the chilterns can throw at me (thorns and flints) up to and including a 4″ nail.

last night we stopped for two punctures, ok so one limped to the pub, and one was only noticed when we had bought beers….. I was being a smug **** pointing out i had a spare tube that i wouldnt need cos i dont get punctures.

the gods will punish me

balfa
    Free Member

Old tyre? Installed recently?

It had been on there for 4 months probably, 3 of which it wasn’t even used. It wasn’t a new tyre for sure but It had plenty of tread left and the sidewalls were not worn.

I reckon it may have stretched the bead… is it back on ok and seated properly?

Not tried yet, the bead has gone a little wavy now though so maybe that means it knackered.

kevin1911

Isn’t it the Flows that have a sticker on them saying don’t inflate above 32psi (or is it 38?)

There’s been a few threads where people report tyres popping off at higher pressures. It seems that Stan isn’t being over-cautious here.

tazzymtb

Hmmmmm around 40psi on a stans with a 2.1, right on edge of stans limits there. Did you use a compressor to mount or pump it up higher to get the beads to seat propperly when originally installed?

balfa
    Free Member

Isn’t it the Flows that have a sticker on them saying don’t inflate above 32psi (or is it 38?)

You mean the one I peeled off 😉

I used a track pump to seat the tyre. I’m not sure I trust the pressure guage on the track pump though which might be the culprit.

mike_p
    Free Member

No Tubes rims seem to have barely any hook for the tyre bead. I was ogling the Hope Hoops in CycSurg yesterday and was genuinely shocked. Had a chat with both the sales wallah and the mechanic who said that they’ve a reputation for shedding tyres and in their opinion they were best avoided.

tazzymtb

I’ve used stans rims for years and not had an issue with them, user error and the inability of blokes to read any form of instruction seems to be the main issue

PJM1974
    Free Member

This has happened to me so many times, it nearly scared the heck out of my missus when it went off in the car just behind her head.

Best thing is to get another tyre, chances are the bead has gone.

Dino
    Free Member

Buy a UST rim????????

matthewlhome
    Free Member

too much pressure. More importantly, why do you have 40psi in a tubeless tyre?

Dancake
    Free Member

I had one BANG! when it was off the bike laid on it’s side in the Sun. (Had been riding for 2 weeks on it to work with no issues)

Admit I had the pressure up far too high. Bead was ruined

scared me half to death too – I was fiddling with the frame right next to it at the time

balfa
    Free Member

too much pressure. More importantly, why do you have 40psi in a tubeless tyre?

Admittedly I would normally run about 35 but I’m only cycling on roads/tracks at the moment as just out of knee surgery so bumped up the pressure a little. Also at over 13 stone stone at 35 psi I’ve managed to pinch puncture a UST tyre a fair few times.

Murray

seems to be a common theme of “in the sun”. Pressure goes up with temperature if volume is constant…

markd
    Free Member

seems to be a common theme of “in the sun”. Pressure goes up with temperature if volume is constant…

Meanwhile in California and other hot places riders wheels explode every 5 mins.

It is not a heat thing.

roddi18
    Free Member

There is a sticker on the flow rim that advises on what pressures for what width tyres.
    I killed 3 schwalbe tyres when i first went tubeless, blowing off of the rim and damaging the bead. Get shot of the tyre i would advise

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Spontaneous Tubeless Tyre Unmount’ is closed to new replies.