Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Splitters!
  • cranberry
    Free Member

Is anyone else watching the fight between the Brownite running dog currs and the Not So Great Leader of the Labour party with some popcorn otter’s noses this morning ?

Who do you think will be leader on Monday morning ?

??

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Dun know, but here’s mine.

martinhutch

Imagine Cooper as leader, Balls as Shadow Chancellor.

Interestingly frosty home life!

Not a lot of strength in depth there, is there?

Stoner
    Free Member

Im campaigning to Save Ed Milliband!

🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s very, very funny to watch – and the Labour meltdown in Scotland is just brilliant. Not just that people who voted Labour last time are deserting them and it looks as if they’ll only get 5-10 Scottish Labour MPs next time, but that they seriously seem to think that Jim Murphy is the man to save them.

kimbers

I think the lack of a viable/willing alternative means he will make it up to the GE
    whether he makes it past that point?

but Labour still lead in the polls, just

ultimately its about how much ukip can steal from either party!

I imagine this is all leftie soul searching after seeing the republicans do well in their midterms

theotherjonv

I’m intrigued as to who the 10% are that think they’ll win the election either way!!

Seems to me that with him in charge they have no chance. Without him, they still have little chance but will probably get a bigger share and keep more seats. So while no-one will want to be leader yet – that’ll come after a disastrous election result – the rank and file in marginal territory want someone to come in and bolster their vote.

On that basis i can’t see him uniting the party and hence will have to go.

craigxxl
    Free Member

None of those would do the party any favours at the ballot box.

martinhutch

The current broad support for Labour will disintegrate in the run-up to the polls if Ed remains in place. We do have a large swathe of the electorate that looks at the leaders and judges them on fairly superficial characteristics.

Trouble is, this was all obvious some time ago, and Labour have left it too late to put a new leader in place and build a solid platform for campaigning. Can they even oust him now without a card vote at conference? He’d have to fall on his sword.

DezB
    Free Member

I installed one of these yesterday

richmtb

Labour in Scotland are about to be all but wiped out.

That’s 25-35 MPs that they would have absolutely banked on gone.

Its no less than they deserve. The Scottish Labour party has been absolutely shambolic for years.

They have been bolstered for the last 20 years by an “anyone but the Tories” mentality in Scotland but a massive number of those anti-tory votes will be going to the SNP in the next election.

I can’t wait to see the look on all those pinched Labour faces when they lose their ultra safe Scottish seats

allthepies
    Free Member

OP, you forgot binbin’s bezzie mate.

“Grrr, I’m a tiger”

maccruiskeen

“I’m intrigued as to who the 10% are that think they’ll win the election either way!!”

people who have noticed that regardless of Eds personal popularity Labour has been ahead in the polls for pretty much the entire term of the present government.

In an opinion poll some people will answer the question on the basis of what they want to happen, or fear would happen, and others will answer on the basis of the facts as they are aware of them.

Stoner
    Free Member

judges them on fairly superficial characteristics.

I think you could do a deep, soul-searching, investigation of his beliefs and “policies” into Milliband and still wonder what the hell he stands for.

kimbers

Thats what the backbenchers are saying too stoner

Its possibly intentional?
    all politicians are despised, so

do you vote for the guy who wants to make his chums rich and shit on the poor,

the guy that lied about tuition fees,

the guy that hates immigrants

or the guy thats just bland?

binners

Not just that people who voted Labour last time are deserting them and it looks as if they’ll only get 5-10 Scottish Labour MPs next time, but that they seriously seem to think that Jim Murphy is the man to save them

Indeed! What all the polling north of the border shows, is that what Scotland is crying out for is an Uber-Blairite. Yip… That’ll fix you’re absolutely woeful (un)popularity problem!

And they accuse Ed and friends of being distant and detached in Westminster? Really? They’re absolutely clueless!!!

I loved John Harris’s description of Eds team: ‘A Book Club who’s political antenae cease to function outside north London’

I think Eds problem isn’t just the SNP in Scotland. He’s in for a bit of a shock off the Green party, south of the border too. Because thats where a lot of disaffected northern voters (myself included) are looking, in what were previously solid labour seats. As they’re espousing the views labour should be if it actually had any balls (not Ed) and actually represented anything other than Tory-lite. Like UKIP, they may not win seats, but they’ll split the vote, swing constituencies and deliver up some bizarre results.

I love the fact that the next general election is becoming less predictable by the day. Plenty of complacent career politicians in the major parties must be bricking out! Now their cozy duopoly is seriously under threat. Jobs for the boys doesn’t look such a certainty any more

cranberry
    Free Member

I think you could do a deep, soul-searching, investigation of his beliefs and “policies” into Milliband and still wonder what the hell he stands for.

I think that the problem is that Ed stands for… Ed. He was put into power against the will of the party and MPs and has surrounded himself with yes (wo-)men. By all accounts he is deeply factional in nature. His every statement seems to be about short-term benefit to himself and to a lesser extent the Labour party.

The MPs have put up with this for a long time, but now they are looking towards defeat and the possibility of being at best out of power for another 5 years, at worst having to go out and find themselves a new job.

igm

Problem is we need some credible alternative to the current shambles that we have in power.

Cameron – useless idiot
    Osbourne – useless idiot
    The rest – unmemorable useless idiots

How have they managed to keep this recession (in people’s pockets if not in the GDP) going for this long.

An utterly useless shower.

the-muffin-man

Unfortunately for Labour they picked the wrong Milliband to lead them.

Stoner
    Free Member

Its possibly intentional?

I really dont think so, Kimbers. As the Staggers says, he is the product of his background, and inevitably has nothing to hang your hat on.

Miliband does not have a compelling personal story to tell the electorate, as Thatcher did about her remarkable journey from the grocer’s shop in Grantham and the values that sustained her along the way or Alan Johnson does about his rise from an impoverished childhood in west London. I went to Oxford to study PPE, worked for Gordon Brown, became a cabinet minister and then leader of the party does not quite do it. None of this would matter were Miliband in manner and approach not so much the product of this narrow background…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sadly, the Staggers nails it, not only for Ed, but also for a massive amount of the current political elite.

He’s also not helping himself decrying photo-op politics and then appearing in a woefully staged photo op giving money to a beggar. Well, I say money, but it did look suspiciously like a two pence coin…

seosamh77
    Free Member

bencooper – Member
    It’s very, very funny to watch – and the Labour meltdown in Scotland is just brilliant. Not just that people who voted Labour last time are deserting them and it looks as if they’ll only get 5-10 Scottish Labour MPs next time, but that they seriously seem to think that Jim Murphy is the man to save them.

i think it’s optimistic that the collapse will be that severe, there will be a collapse, but Scotland will return 20-25 labour MPs imo, definitely no less than 15(the labour majorities are massive).

On the subject of Jim Murphy, aye, he’s a shocking choice for leader, I hope he gets it. I’ve no idea the thought behind him, it’s clear that it’s the westminster parties wishes that he gets it.

I’d be concerned if Neil Finlay gets it, I’ve been watching him in parliament recently, and he’s very involved and would likely be a candidate that could invigorate the Labour grass roots in scotland imo.

incidently, I can see the tories returning 3 or 4 seats to westminster from scotland this time.

Stoner
    Free Member

I like IPSO MORI take on it, seosamh77 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

I hope that’s correct. 🙂 I think it’s overly optimistic though.

kimbers

will be interesting to see how Ed handles it, I know hes been slagged before but this is the first rumour of any sort of plot

Cameron has fend off a backbench motion to have him deposed every other week it seems and it doesnt seem to phase him

and that staggers quote seems to sum up so many of our MPs!

binners

will be interesting to see how Ed handles it

He’ll set up a policy review, to report back in July 2018

bencooper
    Free Member

I think Eds problem isn’t just the SNP in Scotland. He’s in for a bit of a shock off the Green party…

Indeed – I was at a Scottish Greens meeting last night, and over half of the people there were new members since the referendum. At my table I was old-guard because I joined three months ago 😉

A good number of the new Greens used to be Labour voters – many are deserting Labour for the SNP, but the SSP and Greens are also doing very well.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Splitters!’ is closed to new replies.