Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • spider experts – help!
  • brakes
    Free Member

I bet it made a right mess when you squished it.
    you did squish it, right?

Pook

nope. Caught in a glass and released humanely.

There has been more than one too. This was the third

alaslas
    Free Member

All the squat black spiders in my house (also Sheffield) have been replaced by pholcids, though there were a lot of squat black spiders around for a short time. I’m sure they’re relatively harmless.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

There has been more than one too. This was the third

You threw out Mummy!
    Just wait until Dad & the kids find out 😯

oink1
    Free Member

Get a bird? (As per nursery rhyme – don’t you know nuffink? 😆 )

roper
    Free Member

I can’t tell what it might be. I normally go on head shape and eyes, fangs, body shape, habitat and colouration. I can’t see most of those in the photo.
    UK spiders are pretty harmless though. They have small fangs and very mild venom. I can’t tell what that one is but it’s not one of the more nasty UK ones. You could try looking here again

http://www.uksafari.com/spiders.htm

Yours looks like an adult too, so it is probably coincidental you have found 3, rather than a nest dispersing and young leaving home ( not sure if that bit of info is reassuring or not 🙂 ).

Pook

I’m not getting any closer to #4! Cheers Roper – somewhat reassuring that there shouldn’t be any more!!

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

On my wheeley bin the other week there was a mummy spider and hundreds of teeny tiny little baby ones all on the web.

I’m hoping they aren’t all now in the house

gwaelod
    Free Member

Their only natural enemy is the Honey Badger

FuzzyWuzzy

FFS about the only decent thing about this country was the wussy spiders and now this happens 🙁

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

CountZero

What you want is a bunch of these:

Tarantula Hawk wasp, they eat big spiders!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

No, you just need one of these.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

If its got those green fangs and squat body then it’s likely Florentina as mentioned. Can give a nasty nip. Evict en masse. Personally i don’t squash anyone.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Another from pook

Pook

so tonight we’ve had two spider attacks. I say attacks, I mean wanderings.

One was a mini version of the original nasty looking bugger. The second was a huge house spider.

We’re under attack!

chilled76
    Free Member

Get a cat… they eat any spiders that run across the carpet etc.

dan1980
    Free Member

Interestingly, this year, I’ve been inundated with these lovely little blighters:

Lace webbed spider

which makes a refreshing, and thankfully smaller change from my usual supply of:

Bog standard house spider

Does anyone have a clue as to why this might be?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Removed – bloody hell pook

Pook

:o)

roper
    Free Member

Going by that last photo I’d say it is either a Hacklemesh Weaver or something similar. These tend to have very small spinnerets so you could look and see. The one in the photo might be near a moult which is why we can’t see any specific markings on its bum. They tend to become darker at this time.
    If you have seen a smaller version, and it is the same species then you may have had a nest near by. They are cannibalistic so might reduce there numbers by themselves.

I’ve just bought a Cupiennius salei, one of these.

They are ridiculously fast and would soon clear up any wandering spiders you might have.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

may i be the first to say…

AAAAAAARRGHHHHHHH!

maxtorque

Yesterday evening a spider came wandering into the kitchen, so i conscientiously and carefully scooped it up onto a bit of paper, and carted it out into the garden, carefully laying it down without harming it.
    Literally, before i had even turned my back, a magpie swooped down and gobbled him up right in front of my eyes……. Sorry about that matey, but i tried! 😉

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘spider experts – help!’ is closed to new replies.