Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Spesh 142 Rear axle options
  • J273
    Free Member

Ive just bought a spesh stumpy evo expert 13′ which i believe come with spesh’s 142+ dropouts. With it coming from bikescene i believe these are warranty frames??

Checking the parts box theres no rear axle.

Can anyone tell me before i order if this will fit?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dt-swiss-rws-x-12-alloy/rp-prod81163

After looking around it seems theres a few different 142 x 12 standards and some will fit and others with different threads wont.

Any ideas guys before i order the above?

Thanks

sbd16v
    Free Member

mine came with a rear axel from bike scene, it was fitted to the frame with a piece of cardboard tube between the frame to keep the rear end solid in trasit

I don’t see why that wont fit being 142mm has more to do with the hub than the frame spacing

hope that helps

J273
    Free Member

Hmm mine came with the cardboard tube but no rear axle 😐

After looking at the frame on the non drive side its pretty recessed so i dont think that’ll fit above.

I might just buy it and return if it dont.

Jason
    Free Member

I am pretty sure that is the one I bought for my Epic (also with the 142+ rear end). It fits fine.

I have the other style of 142×12 axle on my other bike, that uses a Shimano axle and they aren’t interchangeable.

J273
    Free Member

Does the one above i linked to have the spring inside like the 135×10 axles ive got. allowing you to extend the handle to pass the seat and chainstays?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

No, that won’t fit.

The NDS dropout is tapered, so won’t fit a normal axle, you need a conical head on it.

You can buy them directly from Specialized, for a lot of money. Which if you do what I did, and left the axle on the roof of the car and drove home, is quite annoying.

Thankfully, they are a Syntace X12 style (same thread pitch too). You can order a non lever design from Bromley Bike for about £20. They have the tapered head you need to make it work.

Edited to say this is for an Enduro, which may not be the same as the Stumpy! Should learn to read…

J273
    Free Member

Yeah mines tapered like you say and pretty recessed which made me think that above wouldn’t fit.

Hob Nob, i dont suppose you could link me to the one you have could you?

Many thanks

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It’s this one here: (sorry image is for a 135, but it’s identical, just a bit longer)

It’s just a standard Syntace X12 if you’re asking them for one.

Jason
    Free Member

I have just double checked and the one you originally linked to is the one I ordered from CRC and fits my Epic fine. The back of the lever does have a taper to it to fit the frame recess. And yes a spring inside to so that you can reposition the handle when tight.

J273
    Free Member

Ta mate – Thanks very much.

J273
    Free Member

@Jason I dont suppose you could post a photo up could you or email me a pic ( jim273 [at] gmail.com) as i wouldn’t mind one with a lever.

Cheers

toons
    Free Member

i have a stumpy evo from bikescence and it came with a spesh axle.

i trashed that and now have that dt swiss.

Jason
    Free Member

This should help:

J273
    Free Member

Thanks Jason – From the pic it looks like it’ll fit.

Ill get one ordered and i have the Syntace as a backup ( Cheers Hob Nob) if it dont fit.

Thanks guys 🙂

warns74
    Free Member

Bought a stumpy fsr frame from Bikescene, no rear axle (142 not +), gave them a call, very helpful and sent me one for free. Have you called them and asked?

sbd16v
    Free Member

ill second them being helpful, I called them and said I wanted the frame but I was not going to be around on payday as I was going to be at sea and they said it was not a problem if I paid £100 they would keep it for the 4 months I was away !

give them a call you might be surprised.

J273
    Free Member

Yeah they did the same for me – They kept the frame for me for a couple of months why I got the funds together. I secured the frame with a £100 deposit as it was the last one they had in stock.Anthony who I’m guessing is the owner seems very helpful.

I did email asking for advice as to which axle I need before I made this thread and they got back to me earlier and are sending me one free 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Spesh 142 Rear axle options’ is closed to new replies.