• This topic has 59 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Speeding – 3 points and fine or awareness course
  • pedlad

Bugger. First speeding ping in the last 20 yrs (doing national travel jobs) bringing family back from Bristol airport at 00:30 – empty Bristol M5, gantry not displaying anything, camera flash and letter today.

Have zero points currently would STW take the points + £100 hit or use a days holiday plus unstated admin cost to go on the awareness course? I’m thinking former but unsure if the insurance bump will be big for a lowly 3 points?

mrmoofo

Depends if they offer it to you …

Were you 15 mph over the speed limit?

crazy-legs

Do the awareness course. You can often get evening ones, mine was 5.30 – 9.30pm. It was actually quite good, most people engaged pretty well with it and it wasn’t preachy or patronising.

Insurance company never need to know about it.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’d do the course to avoid having to carry the points for 5 years.

lunge

Course every time for me. That answer might be different if I was self employed and the time was going to cost me a couple of hundred quid.

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

Do the course its only a day at the most, points last for five years

whitestone
    Free Member

Go on the course – as I commented on the NSL thread, when I was offered the chance to attend one it had been over 35 years since I’d had any formal driving training and had had that time to develop loads of bad habits.

pedlad

Ok didn’t realise there may be an evening option, anyone know the admin cost? I was 14 over.

robbo1234biking

Cost is usually £100 so the same as the fine. Some insurance companies still ask you to declare that you have been on a Speed Awareness Course so you may still have to declare to insurance company.

sbob
    Free Member

Mate just did the course, was slightly less than the fine.

Also points only last for three years, for totting up purposes even if they are declarable to Ins Cos for five and physically remain on your licence for four.

sbob
    Free Member

Some insurance companies still ask you to declare that you have been on a Speed Awareness Course so you may still have to declare to insurance company.

Admiral Group ask you.

Not sure if they can find out if you tell porkies though…

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I can’t believe anyone would take the points if they offer a course instead.  Might only be three points but you’d wish you’d done the course if you get a second ticket 🙂

pedlad

Pretty unanimous – thanks STW!

robbo1234biking

@sbob – Yeh I don’t believe that they can find out as when I did the course they stated that is wasn’t recorded anywhere that you had attended…

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

just to make you aware, i didnt see anyone comment it,

if you do the course and subsequently get caught speeding within 2 years (maybe 3) then you’ll have the original points added back on.. (west yorkshire)

sbob
    Free Member

I didn’t see anyone comment on it

That would be because it’s bollocks.

IHN

FWIW, if they are your only points, they’ll have very little, if any, affect on insurance premiums.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

One thing to bear in mind is you may have to go back to Bristol* for the course, i believe some forces will recognise a course run anywhere some won’t. This was second hand at the time and therefore may be utter tosh mind.

If it is true I’d take the points over the ten hour return trip to Bristol from here, I’d take the course without hesitating if it were local.

*or at least somewhere in that neck of the woods.

At the risk of starting a completely different argument…

gantry not displaying anything,

Why would that matter?

butcher

Basically, you can pay £100 to have 3 points put on your licence.

Or you can pay £100 and receive some valuable education.

ElShalimo

Quick Q: how long does it take for a notification to come thru?

I might have gone too fast through the new cameras on the A55 at the weekend not realising that they were now switched on….

🙁

sbob
    Free Member

Two weeks if you are the registered keeper.

crazy-legs

if you do the course and subsequently get caught speeding within 2 years (maybe 3) then you’ll have the original points added back on.. (west yorkshire)

Not true – if you’re caught speeding again within 3 years you do not have the option of the course and it’s automatic points but they do not add on anything – the course is INSTEAD OF the points.

When I did mine I could book it locally. The speeding (34mph in a 30…) was in North Yorkshire, I did the course about a mile from work in central Manchester.

MartynS

14 days to get notice to the registered keeper.

is it your car or a company/lease car? It’ll take longer to get to you in this case as it’ll go to them first and they ID you..

philjunior
    Free Member

I went on a course. It was worth it for potential insurance costs.

There was some bollocks spoken by the instructors (specifically that you have to be within a foot of a truck to get a slipstream advantage from it – though this was only in response to a remark made in jest about why one might tailgate), but mostly good advice – though really a lot of the issues more relevant for the majority of the class who were caught in 30 zones (where I try very hard not to speed anyway).

To be honest, it seemed to me like a far more effective intervention than getting 3 points and a fine, and I’m pretty happy that this is the first thing offered to people.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

To be honest, it seemed to me like a far more effective intervention than getting 3 points and a fine

It does strike me as odd that those most likely in need of the education (large amount over) aren’t offered it in honesty. It would seem sensible to me to make it mandatory for anyone caught every time.

IHN

I’ve been on a course, I found it pretty interesting and useful. Again, some bollocks from the instructors, especially around the magic 112 number to dial for the emergency services.

It does strike me as odd that those most likely in need of the education (large amount over) aren’t offered it in honesty.

People driving a large amount over the limit don’t need to be educated that it’s a stupid thing to do, they know that already but don’t care. The point of the courses is that they show that marginal increases in speed that may seem harmless bring with them a disproportionately large increase in the level of risk.

bikecurious
    Free Member

With regards to having to go back to Bristol – this won’t be the case. I’ve got caught speeding in Bristol and was able to do the course in my native Cardiff.

wrightyson
    Free Member

So you were doing 84mph on an empty motorway? They really should up the limits at times, so outdated!

allthegear
    Free Member

Go on then, what was the thing they said about 112?

IHN

What didn’t they say about 112…

– it’ll use the GPS on your phone to track you down, 999 won’t

– it’ll get through when there’s no signal, 999 won’t

and my favourite:

– it works when you’ve go no battery left on your phone(!)

What they definitely didn’t say was that 999 and 112 are exactly the same thing.

iainc

as said above, Admiral require you to declare and they seem to have a way of finding out if you have been on one…..

Cougar

It was actually quite good, most people engaged pretty well with it and it wasn’t preachy or patronising.

Must’ve been a different course from the one I did.

But yeah.  Course over points any day.

cb

My instructor opened things up with “So what’s the intial feeling for you all being here”?  First response was a dozy woman saying “Not again”…

Hopefully the rest of us learnt a few things!  Proper definition of a dual carraigeway and therefore correct speed limit was new to me.  Always assumed all two lane roads were classed as such.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

@sbob why do you say its bollocks.

@crAZY-LEGS
    thanks for the clarification. i guess no longer true

i got a speed awareness course in sept 2013, in the small print it said if you get caught speeding in x years, the points from this will be added on to your future points. clearly i dont have the paperwork anymore so cannot prove this :0)

tthew

It would seem sensible to me to make it mandatory for anyone caught every time.

That might actually prove a more effective deterrent for drivers who bounce around between 9 and 12 points and value their time more than money in fines and increased insurance costs.

I’d also add a rule that makes you take it within 6 weeks, or loose you licence until it’s done if you go over.

pedlad

Happy to accept I’m in the wrong – but yep 84 on a dry, empty motorway in the middle of the night :-<. The variable France system (where we’d just returned from holiday) of 110/130 kmh depending on conditions is far more sensible.

Rich_s

With regards to having to go back to Bristol – this won’t be the case. I’ve got caught speeding in Bristol and was able to do the course in my native Cardiff.

+1 in my case cheshire following being zapped on the m4.

It was this lot

http://www.ttc-uk.com

I hope you don’t get the same condescending **** I had. One of the instructors was great though.

chrismac

Do the course. I did one about 5 years ago and it was awful, hopefully they have got better, that seems to be the general consensus. I found mine hard to take seriously after the tutor was adamant that her answer was correct even though that broke the laws of physics!!!

sok

I went on one once and instructor went round us all at first asking why we thought we speeded. Generally responses were “no paying attention”, “few mph extra don’t count” and so on.  One woman said it was because she was always running late and then confessed to doing 100mph on a 60mph stretch of road on the way to the course… FFS…

crazy-legs

What didn’t they say about 112…

– it’ll use the GPS on your phone to track you down, 999 won’t

– it’ll get through when there’s no signal, 999 won’t

and my favourite:

– it works when you’ve go no battery left on your phone(!)

What they definitely didn’t say was that 999 and 112 are exactly the same thing.

I was once told that 112 would work even if you were in a cave. There seems to be this wonderful myth built up around it that it’s a magical number that can just be beamed into the sky from a device with no power and no reception…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Speeding – 3 points and fine or awareness course’ is closed to new replies.