Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Specific tubeless set up questions (Shimano XT M788)
  • Random
    Free Member

I have a Shimano XT M788 Rear Wheel. It is so hard to get tyres on and off that I would like to try going tubeless.

Questions:
    1. If I buy a Nobby Nic 2.4 UST tubeless tyre, do I need to buy sealant as well?
    2. I have a good condition non-UST Kenda Nevegal 2.35. If I bought sealant, would that work reasonably tubeless with my XT M788 wheel?

Thanks for any advice.

timb34
    Free Member

Shimano xt wheels are UST, so any UST tire should seal up without sealant, but I use it anyway for extra protection.

I’ve also used specialized tubeless ready tires with sealant, but haven’t tried normal tires yet.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have XT 29er tubeless wheels with Conti non-tubeless tyres. They went straight on and inflated but the sidewalls are porous. So a splash of sealant and all is good.

seavers
    Free Member

If I buy a Nobby Nic 2.4 UST tubeless tyre, do I need to buy sealant as well?

Whatever tyre you run you should defo use some sealant. The whole point of tubeless is that the sealant catches any punctures. You don’t need much. Stans is V good. Other options available.

Tubeless without sealant is kinda pointless.

Edit. if you get a puncture you have to stick a tube in. With sealant you don’t.

Random
    Free Member

Thanks all.
    Turning out to be an expensive wheel replacement!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Specific tubeless set up questions (Shimano XT M788)’ is closed to new replies.