Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)
  • Specialized Enduro 29er – have we hated this yet?
  • Northwind

That’s a 32T sprocket? Big bike!

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I’m not normally into 29ers, but that looks cool.
    As far as 29er enduro bikes go, I’m sure something like this or that Five LT would be great for annihilating the Megavalanche for instance, but I’m far from convinced it’d work as a UK enduro bike – steep, twisty Innerleithen stuff for example would almost certainly be better on a sorted 26er. I’d be happy to be proved wrong but I just can’t see it.

matt1986
    Free Member

b45her – Member
    a 29er epic is a good idea.
    a 29er stumpy is acceptable.
    a 29er enduro is a step to far.
    the yanks will lap it up though.
    POSTED 4 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

I agree mate. If find it crazy how they are throwing everything at 29er and not bothering with 650b surly that would be better suited for the enduro?!?

eshershore
    Free Member

Its f*cking rad

talking to mate tonight who rides a 26″ Enduro, he actually said he’d buy that 29er Enduro which I thought I’d never hear from him

myself?

riding a 29’er Stumpy, no complaints from me, loving that bike and going faster than any 26″ bike I have owned in 26 years of riding the 26″ wheel size!

cookeaa

a 29er epic is a good idea.
    a 29er stumpy is acceptable.
    a 29er enduro is a step to far.

the yanks will lap it up though.

That was really my thinking too.

Not really sure why those of us who aren’t utterly sold on a 29er Enduro and dare to question the need for this product are “Haters” I’m just not convinced that this really fits with what I understood the Enduro to be for, nowt wrong with a little healthy scepticism sometimes…

29ers have clear benefits but then so do 26ers. Specialized now seem pretty keen to kill off the smaller wheel size like it’s some sort of unwanted Ginger stepchild, you have to wonder if they maybe have become a bit cultist about the whole thing. Not unlike some of the “trailblazers” who found 29″ enlightenment long before corporate cycling happened upon it…

bigrich

the 29er stumpy evo is (whisper it) rad.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ll consider one of these upstart wheel thingies either when I can use my current very nice wheels in them or when all my current very nice wheels are broken and I need to replace both bikes. Until then 1 wheel size is fine for me. Oh they also have to go through a few more years of design evolution and work out what works best in a trail bike and which flavour of tyre size people will support properly and in an ongoing way.

prezet
    Free Member

Ugly as ****.

garage-dweller

I no like!
    I know not why other than it is a purely visual thing!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

now that takes on a lot of bikes in the ugly stakes, I hope there is a good final touches department out there

nedoverendsmole
    Free Member

Looks like I have chosen the right time to change brand allegiance. Dont really like this year’s 26″ Enduro. This one is a bit like one of those Corgi cars that was made in a slightly different, larger scale to the others.

TooTall
    Free Member

Not really sure why those of us who aren’t utterly sold on a 29er Enduro and dare to question the need for this product are “Haters” I’m just not convinced that this really fits with what I understood the Enduro to be for, nowt wrong with a little healthy scepticism sometimes…

I just find it most amusing that most (if not all) of those naysayers of such things make the call without riding the bike. I know many of the 29er early adopters did themselves no favours with the evangelism, but the critics are mostly doing it on a hunch or the looks. Ride a bike before damning it out of hand.

prezet
    Free Member

Why should we need to ride it to know that 29ers aren’t for us? The downsides of them are too great – slower to accelerate, slower to brake, slower to turn, heavier, flexier wheels – all for the benefit of a bit of extra rolling ability and to hold a bit more speed.

I’ll go with my hunch that the bike isn’t for me.

dingabell
    Free Member

I kmow it’s probably not cool at the moment to knock 29ers seeing as everyone seems to think they’re going to take over the world, but I just don’t like the look of big wheels. I love the Enduro and I just think the 26er looks so much more in proportion. Sorry.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

That’s not a 29er!

I think it’s a 26er but with a small frame.

Euro
    Free Member

I just find it most amusing that most (if not all) of those naysayers of such things make the call without riding the bike. Ride a bike before damning it out of hand.

I’d bet that it rides really well and have no problems with 29″ wheels at all. However, my bikes are 26″ and if I have a ‘technical issue’ it’s easy to borrow parts to get me out. I don’t fancy trying to shoehorn a 26 inch tyre onto a 29 inch rim. If I only had one bike, it could be a bigg’un.

Gotama
    Free Member

Why the persistence that enduro should be dominated by 26″ wheels because that’s more enduro 🙄 Ever considered that some people might like 29″ wheels for all occasions, even when the course is tight and twisty? If you like small wheels buy them, if you prefer big wheels buy those. Also find it laughable that people refer to the UK Enduro scene as examples for where these bikes apparently won’t work. Do you really think global bike brands design bikes to sell across the world based on a tiny group of people that race at Innerleithen once a year 🙄 😀

andyrm
    Free Member

Why the persistence that enduro should be dominated by 26″ wheels because that’s more enduro Ever considered that some people might like 29″ wheels for all occasions, even when the course is tight and twisty? If you like small wheels buy them, if you prefer big wheels buy those. Also find it laughable that people refer to the UK Enduro scene as examples for where these bikes apparently won’t work. Do you really think global bike brands design bikes to sell across the world based on a tiny group of people that race at Innerleithen once a year

^^ This. Our Enduro race scene is tiny compared to Europe or indeed the US. Yes we have some super twisty stuff, but so do the foreigners too, linked up by bl**dy fast sections where it’s all about carrying maximum speed if you want to do well.

Given the choice between one of these and a Jones or one of those fat bike things, it would be this every day – but that’s because I like going flat out, not mile munching, which seems very much the demographic preference on STW these days….. 😉

All I know is having seen Curtis on this bike in Italy, he didn’t look like he had any problems with “heavy” wheels or flex…….

asterix
    Free Member

Ride a bike before damning it out of hand.

I agree

The downsides of them [29ers]are too great – slower to accelerate, slower to brake, slower to turn, heavier, flexier wheels – all for the benefit of a bit of extra rolling ability and to hold a bit more speed.

I agree having tried them

if you like them – great. But don’t take the 26er option away from everyone else

ahwiles
    Free Member

I love the Enduro and I just think the 26er looks so much more in proportion. Sorry.

my old bike:

pig.

ugly.

and climbed terribly with that stupid layback seat-tube.

(i’m only 6’1″ – not exactly a giant)

fact fans: apparently i took this photo 17th february 2008, when even cut-gate was warm(ish) and dry.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

If you like small wheels buy them, if you prefer big wheels buy those.

Fair enough, but Specialized don’t seem to give you that choice.

Do you really think global bike brands design bikes to sell across the world based on a tiny group of people that race at Innerleithen once a year

Obviously the tiny UK scene is of little concern to the likes Spesh, but that doesn’t change the fact that a 26er is likely preferable to a comparable 29er on the types of terrain that I like to ride.

asterix
    Free Member

to me all this means is I’m not gonna buy a Spesh – their loss

ahwiles
    Free Member

without even trying it?

that’s a sensible decision.

my old enduro, for all it’s faults, was great. the new one’s probably even better.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

though in a what has the world come to moment the LBS owner/mate was doing some ordering while I was borrowing his workshop exclaimed “What Minions 2.5″ in 29 – why oh why….”

On the Enduro (the bike not the completely undefined style of event that ranges from multiple extremes) it looks like it got rained on and the frame shrank

Gotama
    Free Member

Fair enough, but Specialized don’t seem to give you that choice.

Happy to be corrected but I haven’t seen anywhere that they’re not making the enduro in 26″ anymore. I appreciate other parts of the range are now only 29er though.

The cynic would say that they’re doing it to force everyone to change bikes……..or more likely imo they’re rationalising their production line. I seem to recall that the Tallboy is by far the best selling model in the SC line up in the US which is going to be any bike company’s biggest market. Whether its new product-itis or the fact that a big wheel works better for more riders on the terrain they ride you could argue until the cows come home. However if Spec or anyone else can drop manufacturing costs by 20% but only reduce sales by 10% then its a no brainer in the corporate world. Asking for any corporation to do any different is nuts, they’re not charities.

I would like to see some stats for those that like big wheels vs those that don’t with the type of riding thrown in. I not only look ridiculous on a 26″ bike but they feel awful in comparison for any type of riding. Horses for courses, i’m sure there are disadvantages to any wheel size, i guess it just depends on whether you’re prepared to accept those in return for the benefits that the particular size offers to you.

Gotama
    Free Member

“What Minions 2.5″ in 29 – why oh why….”

Maybe to go on a downhill bike… 😉

grum
    Free Member

So is there definitely not going to be a 26er version, and this only comes in M, L or XL? 😕

alex222
    Free Member

Looks banging, shame about sram kit and command post. Other than that top draw bike.

Northwind

Fortunateson09 – Member

I’m sure something like this or that Five LT would be great for annihilating the Megavalanche for instance, but I’m far from convinced it’d work as a UK enduro bike – steep, twisty Innerleithen stuff for example would almost certainly be better on a sorted 26er.

Not convinced tbh, innerleithen’s enduro trails aren’t that tight and lots of them are stuttery/lumpy and short of grip. Box seems to think a 29er can make a good UK enduro bike…

deanfbm
    Free Member

Biggest innovation –

front mech being designed around the bike rather than vice-versa.

Lots of compromise is made for a frame to accept a front mech, glad someone is starting to do things the right way round.

After all, what is better at the end of the day, a stronger/lighter/stiff frame layout/design or a front mech.

Really need xx1 to have a budget equivalent and drop the front mech forever.

alex222
    Free Member

Really need xx1 to have a budget equivalent and drop the front mech forever.

Shimano to make an equivalent 11 speed drive train and stop bikes from coming with dog awful stock sram kit.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’m sure something like this or that Five LT would be great for annihilating the Megavalanch 8Oe for instance, but I’m far from convinced it’d work as a UK enduro bike – steep, twisty Innerleithen stuff for example would almost certainly be better on a sorted 26er.

I imagine it will make f*ck all difference in reality. The quick guys on both will be quick regardless, the wobblers making the switch will probably wax lyrical about how they have doubled their speed overnight etc.

Decidedly non plussed by this bike as long as you have a choice still, that’s the important thing. $9k for something with Sram on it though!!

alex222
    Free Member

$9k for something with Sram on it though!!

That is the biggest let down; that the command post and non-internal cable routing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hmm I dream of SRAM rather than that cheap shimano crap.

alex222
    Free Member

I dream of SRAM

Your aspirations are pathetic 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

Don’t care about 11 speed. I’d go down to 7 if it meant not having to endure SRAM dogshit.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Can people not work on their gears or something?

Ive never had any issues with either sram or shimano.

sunnrider
    Free Member

Can people not work on their gears or something?

Ive never had any issues with either sram or shimano

Same here, any problems were either bad set up (by me) or worn out chains/cassettes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My SRAM works fine, always has. the new 10 speed stuff is a joy, crisp and direct. It’s strange to see the hatred, most people here swap out shimano ASAP there’s loads of stripped off new groupsets around.

I find the SLX/XT stuff I have had vague and clunky the levers felt cheap and rubbish.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Enduro 29er – have we hated this yet?’ is closed to new replies.