Home Forums Bike Forum Specialized Chisel FS – Any feedback yet?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Specialized Chisel FS – Any feedback yet?
  • coconut
    Free Member

Afternoon all, so who’s purchased a Chisel FS, or has ridden one then ? Lots of discussion on here (including from myself), but no one has yet given any detailed feedback, would like to hear thoughts on the bike – fun factor, efficiency on long XC rides, changes you made etc…. Seems to get decent reviews but they may be linked to advertising revenue.

hopefiendboy

I’ve just plopped for one of the reduced 2023 epic evos instead…full carbon ftw

john dough
    Free Member

You work for specialized dont you?

goldfish24

Yeah (speaking as an epic EVO owner, classic recommend what you’ve got) I’d find it hard to recommend a chisel FS whilst the epic evo’s are available at such good prices. As good as they look and well priced they are, the carbon bikes gotta be a winner at these prices.

john dough
    Free Member

I’ve just plopped for one of the reduced 2023 epic evos instead…full carbon ftw

me too in desert rose

hopefiendboy

Nice…that’s the epic full xc one…very nice. I went for the expert evo instead in the rust red…

john dough
    Free Member

Nice…that’s the epic full xc one…very nice. I went for the expert evo instead in the rust red…

I liked that but couldnt find one at the time id rather had the evo but instead had to go local , the whole certini /specialized/ concept store thing was perplexing

racefaceec90

i am also very interested in the chisel fs and what people think of it.

the few reviews i have read online have all been good what they think of the bike.

as i haven’t started saving yet the deals on epics etc will be long gone by the time i have to cash for the base model.

bikeseek
    Free Member

Got a buddy with a Chisel FS, loves it! Says it’s a blast and efficient on long XC rides. Swapped stock tires for more aggressive ones, that’s it

coconut
    Free Member

We’re getting warmer…. anyone on here actually ridden one then ?

coconut
    Free Member

v7fmp

I’ve not got one… yet. So a mildly pointless post…. but i do have about 6 stock alerts set-up for the frameset.

I have a Chisel HT and love it, so was excited to see the FS get released.

As with every Chisel thread, the cut price last generation Epic Evo always comes up. I have looked at these as a ‘better’ alternative for similar money to the Chisel. But i have concluded the Chisel is the frame for me. Being alloy is a big attraction. Plus its reach is a little longer (but not silly), its stack is higher and its wheelbase is longer (all in Medium size of each).

Yes it will be a few lbs heavier than an Epic Evo, but for me, as i am not racing it, it wont make much odds. Plus the durability of the alloy, its a winner for me.

But as i say, not got one yet, but as soon as i can get my hands on one, i will :)

Also keen to hear from anyone that does own one. Send pics!

fazzini

I’ve ‘ridden’ one round the car park of the bike shop, and then tested that against an older Epic Evo. So, not that helpful really, however, for me, the Epic Evo was too low at the front for how long it felt reach-wise (size large); the medium Chisel FS was too short – felt like my knees were too close to the bars; the large Chisel FS felt OK, but heavy. It was the standard spec one not the Comp, so not really fair to say it’s a heavy bike when the Comp is meant to be sub 13kg.

racefaceec90

Am currently at my favourite bike shop.  They have very kindly pre ordered the red sram one for us (due date Feb 2025). I will let you know what it is like when it arrives but am very excited now to put it mildly ?

avdave2

I’ve not but that’s because the Chisel thread somehow made me buy a half price Epic Evo :-)

chakaping

Sometimes you just have to be a brave little soldier and take the plunge OP.

Straightliner

Stock numbers seem to have been pretty low, and now there are almost no Chisel FS Comps available (two in Large at Specialized Concept stores, none in XL) nor Epic 8’s in most sizes either. I’m assuming there will be a shipment to the UK at some point so now just waiting on notifications to tell me when….

I’m unsure whether to go for a Chisel or go all in on the Epic 8 but will have to twiddle my thumbs for a bit longer to make that decision anyway.

munrobiker
    Free Member

It’s easier for me to copy and paste what I wrote on your second most recent thread about this than it is to type “oh my god just get on with it and buy an Epic before they sell out and you’ll regret it when you have a fat heavy lump of an aluminium XC bike instead”.

. I could see a light and efficient down or cross country bike being a good companion to the Trance but the Chisel ain’t it. They’re not light by any stretch of the imagination. You’ve been asking about these bikes for a long time and I think you know the right answer is a reduced Epic. There’s a lot of cheap Sparks about too.

john dough
    Free Member

We’re getting warmer…. anyone on here actually ridden one then ?

But we arent are we as everyone so far has said they bought an epic for less and no one has acctually ridden one or will care till they sell out of epics , the epic 8 is now on sale too ….

susepic

What Munrobiker (and others) said….. Hadn’t realised OP was a serial chisel/epic threadstarter. Just buy an epic and start enjoying riding it

coconut
    Free Member

as everyone so far has said they bought an epic for less

Where do you buy Epic’s at <£2K then ?

You work for specialized dont you?

Yes…I own Specialized… tin helmet man…

munrobiker
    Free Member

Where do you buy Chisels at <£2k?

coconut
    Free Member

Where do you buy Chisels at <£2k?

Everywhere…. they are £2,000 RRP, try any Specialized Store in the UK. Some are selling at £1,800 currently, few stores are doing 10% off.

john dough
    Free Member

Epic evo comp 2023 2499

Chisel fs comp 2025 2700

both at certini

Only the base was 2k and with such a crap spec that you would need to spend 500 quid to bring it up to the competition , there were plenty of other bikes on sale where you would need to be shilling for specialized to discount them

Heres an idea why not buy one and come back and tell us if its any good

coconut
    Free Member

Heres an idea why not buy one and come back and tell us if its any good

No, the idea was someone that’s bought one tells me.

john dough
    Free Member

Ok i will wait for next months post when you ask again

john dough
    Free Member

There’s a lot of cheap Sparks about too.

And the cheap spark at 1799 is very similar to the dire spec on the base chisel only 200 quid cheaper

Kryton57

The longer this goes on the more chances those carbon Evo deals are fading away….

jonnyrockymountain

Yet another thread about Epic Evo and Chisel oh and yes it’s been started by the fruit mr coconut ?

I think we have all told you how good the Evo’s are on numerous occasions, and the chisel is based on the Evo layout so should also be a good bike, the differences are weight and how much you wanna spend low price cheap components, high price better/lighter components, it’s quite simple really, pps my 2023 S-Works Epic Evo is superb with a weight off 10.6kg with all the AXS XXSL, Carbon everything but I’m worth it that’s why I bought it and ps I didn’t have to keep asking how good it was ??????

munrobiker
    Free Member

The Chisel Base spec is 32lbs. That’s Enduro bike weight. You’ve been complaining about how your existing bike is too heavy.

Get the Epic.

jonnyrockymountain

Although I might sell it and buy a new S-works Epic 8 with the flight attendant

bitmuddytoday
    Free Member

The Chisel Base spec is 32lbs

Madness! And barely a component worth having.

coconut
    Free Member

*Jonny-humble-brag*    He has an expensive bike everyone.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’d say humble bragging is better than asking the same question in slightly different ways until you get the answer you want which seems to be “yes, this overweight lump of a bike does ride better than the heavy bike you already own, and the lighter and better specced Epic that’s not much more money. You go out there and low £2k on an XC bike the weight of an Enduro bike with steel stanchion forks,  brakes that couldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding and some slightly fast tyres to mask that heft”.

jonnyrockymountain

Jonny-humble-brag*    He has an expensive bike everyone.

Actually i have 3 :)

v7fmp

i am assuming the draw of the old Epic Evo is the weight saving over a Chisel? As on paper, although very similar in many ways, the Chisel is a touch more ‘modern’, with its higher stack, longer reach etc.

butterbean
    Free Member

i am assuming the draw of the old Epic Evo is the weight saving over a Chisel? As on paper, although very similar in many ways, the Chisel is a touch more ‘modern’, with its higher stack, longer reach etc.

Which can be a good, or a bad thing when it comes to XC bikes. Most XC bikes are generally a little shorter than trail bikes, with a lower stack, as people tend to ride them in more aggressive positions.

I have ridden a Chisel. It’s not too dissimilar to the Epic, it just weighs a lot more, but then it’s been marketed & sold as a more budget conscious option. If you had the choice of previous gen Epic or Chisel, I would still pick the Epic.

The Chisel Base spec is 32lbs. That’s Enduro bike weight.

10 years ago that might have been enduro bike weight – no-one at the pointy end of racing is running a 32lb bike & making it out of a proper race weekend with it in one piece without a lot of luck. 32-34lb is most trail bikes these days. 32lb is a lot though for an XC bike, it’s 10lb more than my new Epic.

john dough
    Free Member

Jonny-humble-brag*    He has an expensive bike everyone.

Actually i have 3 :)

But are you the works experience publicity influencer guy for the specialized generate internet posts team

v7fmp

Which can be a good, or a bad thing when it comes to XC bikes. Most XC bikes are generally a little shorter than trail bikes, with a lower stack, as people tend to ride them in more aggressive positions.

but if you want an out and out XC bike, you dont get an Evo? just a regular Epic?

I do agree tho, it depends what you are after. The new Epic Evo 8 is firmly in the downcountry/light trail bike category, whereas to me, the previous generation that is being discussed here is more rowdy/pumped up XC.

I was just curious if there was reasoning other than being lighter for the evo vs chisel discussion. :)

Kryton57

I was just curious if there was reasoning other than being lighter for the evo vs chisel discussion. :)

Value and learned experience in frame a parts is the answer to that.   I for one in the main would rather buy a top end tried and tested model with plenty of feedback on discount than a potentially newer sub-model with none of that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.