Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Spear fishing courses- South West
  • mrwhyte
    Free Member

Looking to try spear fishing in the summer, and want to book on to a course. Has anyone completed any courses and can recommend a provider?

I have never done it before, so a couple of days would be ideal, anywhere down in Dorset or Devon.

Trimix
    Free Member

Not sure why you think you need to do a course.

What are you expecting.

I suggest you go snorkelling round the coast first, then decide if you want to go spearfishing. Unless you can dive to about 10m+, hold your breath for 2 mins and swim for miles, I don’t reckon your wish will live up to reality.

I used to do a lot many years ago abroad, Ive also spent quite a bit of time diving the UK coast. I wouldn’t bother doing it here in the UK unless I had a boat and lived on the coast.

I wouldn’t bother doing a course either, you just need to try it for yourself. Get the right kit (hard in the UK, French dive shops sell it). Then just find somewhere that’s not a marine protection zone and make sure there are no bathers about. Then spend hours diving down, trying to stalk wary fish that are too small to bother gutting. You will also need to be able to identify fish. You will need to be able to shoot to kill so a wounded fish doesn’t escape.

Unless you get deep for long and out on a wreck site you are unlikely to catch anything that’s worth eating.

scrumfled
    Free Member

Im afraid I’d disagree with Trimix, especially in the southwest. I spear a fair bit around brighton, mostly looking for bass, but the occasional cod/pollack are in the mix too. Vis here isnt great so I tend to run a relatively short gas gun.

You need to be happy in the water/relaxed…..best advise I can give is to find some local spearo’s and offer to drag a float/lug bags for them. You’ll learn lots by just ‘being there’ and having a waffle. Of course thats assuming you’re already free diving…. if you arent, thats where a course can be useful (in which case, take a nosey around google for AIDA etc)

Things to watch out for;

– local byelaws around spearing
    – make sure you drag a float
    – Solo spearing has a lot of risk attached, but Im a hypocrite because its what i enjoy.
    – if you cant see clearly, dont shoot.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Any kind of breath hold diving has risks but the risks are far greater if you dive alone. Add in the hunting element and it becomes more dangerous as you are more likely to push yourself beyond safe limits.
    I was involved with Free Diving for many years and lost several acquaintances who were spearing alone so I would strongly advise against it.
    That said, it’s your life so your choice.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

I would not want to go alone, hence why I thought a course would give me the basics, and maybe the opportunity to link up with others.

I will have a look at the AIDA courses as a starting point.

In terms of fish identification and size of catch, I do lots of sea fishing already, so I know the fish are there and can Identify them.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Here’s a couple of training links for you.
    http://www.saltfree.biz/freedive-cornwall
    http://www.notanx.com/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Spear fishing courses- South West’ is closed to new replies.