Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 160 total)
  • Speaker cable
  • mickyfinn
    Free Member

Most studios I’ve been in used VannDam so it just shows. They also have multiple sets of monitors both active and passive. NS10’s are passive and still in a lot of studios.

easygirl

Gee tee
    Thanks, I need 4 .5 metres per length

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/

These guys give great customer service, are very competitively priced AND based in Lancs! winner…

curvature
    Free Member

As geetee1972 says it will make a difference to the sound.

And as sound is subjective, some people like more bass or treble etc it is important to review any expensive upgrade with your system in your own home.

ransos
    Free Member

As geetee1972 says it will make a difference to the sound.

If that were the case, people would be able to tell the difference in a double-blind test. AFAIK, that’s never happened.

granny_ring

🙄 @ easygirl 🙂

andrewhowell
    Free Member

The quality of stereo cable should be high with minimum resistant level and best voice quality.

ricardo666
    Free Member

I have used stranded richer sound cable for years now, using an old sony 100w amp and a pair of tdl floor standers. your all welcome to and judge my setup. As spending the afternoon in richer testing out a variety of speakers.

My first job was in a recording studio, and all we used was stranded mains cable for the studio monitors, no fancy ofc stuff.

easygirl

This s what I went for in the end

Fisual S-Flex Studio Grade Speaker Cable 2 x 2.5mm

MrSmith
    Free Member

‘Richer Sounds’ has always been a good place to shop.

So is Halfords.

I would go to either if I was looking for a bike or audio equipment.

geetee1972
    Free Member

If that were the case, people would be able to tell the difference in a double-blind test. AFAIK, that’s never happened.

It happens all the time. I did a blind test (double blind? Hardly necessary) and clearly preferred the Mogami over the Naca5.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Forget Richer Sounds for a start.

The other day I met someone who had just bought a bluray player from them and they duped him into buying an HDMI lead for £84 !

I use some Kef stuff but find the 2.5mm blue VanDamme stuff as good and it is cheaper.

You can get studio grade cable that is like the VanDamme but cheaper – can’t remember the name thought.

I am not so sure about speaker cables improving the sound, but rather they are part of the whole electrical circuit that is the amp/cables/speakers, so they cable characteristics can alter the sound, for better or for worse.

For example, I found it beneficial changing to a fatter, 4mm, speaker cable with one amp, but then when I changed the speakers to something with a more complicated crossover arrangement, the sound became ‘phasy’ and changing back to a thinner, 2.5mm, cable solved it.

So ideally you need to experiment with different cable topologies, rather than cables of different expense.

But I have found the 2.5mm stranded blue VanDamme a safe bet.

chiefgrooveguru

Generally 13A mains cable does a great job – most improvements you’ll hear over this are placebo effect related. The longer the run, the more the cable matters – if the DCR gets too high it’ll affect the bass response of your loudspeaker, if the capacitance gets too high it’ll affect the treble, but with normal house length runs it isn’t an issue unless you’re using skinny gauge.

MrSmith
    Free Member

‘Richer Sounds’ has always been a good place to shop.
    So is Halfords.

I would go to either if I was looking for a bike or audio equipment.

that should be ‘wouldn’t’ but i guess you realised that 🙄

johnners
    Free Member

I use some stuff I found left in the airing cupboard when I moved into my current house.

The sound’s much better than no cable at all – somehow “louder” and more “soundy” if that makes sense.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Generally 13A mains cable does a great job – most improvements you’ll hear over this are placebo effect related

I actually haven’t found that – although I wanted to believe it.

Tried it a few times now with different amps, always disappointed.

Ime cables seem to matter more with smaller speakers for some reason, they don’t seem to make much odds if I am driving a larger speaker.

Plus they don’t seem to matter as much if using a tube amp.

blue Van Damme 2.5mm at £2.80 per metre here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Van-damme-Blue-Series-Studio-Grade-Speaker-Cable-2×2-5mm-268-525-060-Per-metre-/130674283872#vi-content

plugs here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elite-Series-Dual-Screw-4mm-Banana-Plugs-x4-Speaker-Cable-Connectors-/160838641413?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cable_Terminations&hash=item2572bae705

job done.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I would imagine 99% of audiophiles would fail a blind listening test on decent cable compared with something that came with an Argos £20 hifi. In fact you could run it through some tinfoil and a couple of coat hangers and they would still be struggling.

maccruiskeen

The whole “studios are wired with this” statement is a load of crap

I used to have a workshop next to a recording studio and used to share a kettle with them. Sitting drinking tea one day I commented on their Yamaha NS10s with their white cones “Every photo I’ve seen of a mixing desk has a couple of NS10s around it – whats so special about them?”

They said “We bought them because every photo of a studio has NS10s in it. We hate them and since we bought them everyone we’ve asked reckons they hate theirs too” 😆

ton

i have been selling speaker cable for 12yrs. to the trade.
    £5.99 per 100mtrs
    £24.99 per 100mtrs
    guess which sells the best.

chiefgrooveguru

Ime cables seem to matter more with smaller speakers for some reason, they don’t seem to make much odds if I am driving a larger speaker.

For equal SPL you’ll have higher voicecoil temperature, greater cone excursion and more current flow with a smaller speaker, so the performance will be diverging from its small signal parameters. The voicecoil heating and cone excursion will increase the Q of the speaker, giving it worse transient response, so more DCR in the cable will exacerbate that through a loss of amplifier damping. With a valve amp there’s already a huge amount of cable in the output transformer and valve amps have poor damping because they’re transformer coupled.

NS10s are consistently nasty sounding but at least they’re consistent! Hopeless for mixing unless you know what they sound like because they’re so badly coloured but if you know them then they work well (but that holds true for many speakers…)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Cables. Mostly a load of BS. See point 1 here:

http://sonido.uchile.cl/articulos/tenbiggestliesaudio.pdf

geetee1972
    Free Member

So what is the argument then, that speaker cables make no difference ever (and therefore anyone who says to the contrary is delusional) or that sometimes it does make a difference and that what is under debate is the extent of that difference?

Really the fatuousness of some of the arguments on here is astounding. People making sweepingly dismissive statements about other peoples’ experiences on what they can hear; reports that are very consistent about the quality of cable making a difference and yet people still decide to ignore the weight of that evidence because it doesn’t fit with their view of how things should be? That’s daft!

ton

i sell cables for a living, to the trade.
    all kinds of cable, aerial, satellite, cctc, speaker, alarm, hdmi, fibre, cat5, and cat6, oh and electrical.

generaly a tradesman does not want to have to go back to a job for snagging, because each return visit eats into his profit.
    so the stuff they put in works pretty well, and 80% of the time it is the cheapest choice they make.

ransos
    Free Member

It happens all the time. I did a blind test (double blind? Hardly necessary) and clearly preferred the Mogami over the Naca5.

Excellent, you can win yourself a million dollars.

ransos
    Free Member

Really the fatuousness of some of the arguments on here is astounding. People making sweepingly dismissive statements about other peoples’ experiences on what they can hear; reports that are very consistent about the quality of cable making a difference and yet people still decide to ignore the weight of that evidence because it doesn’t fit with their view of how things should be? That’s daft!

Er, no. If there is a genuine difference rather than a placebo effect, it will be heard under a double-blind test.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

10 years ago I bought an expensive new stereo based on CD-player, amp, speakers, stands and used v. cheap interconnects & basic thin speaker cable.
    After a few months I paid about £80 for a posh CD-amp interconnect and a few metres of Chord Carnival (thicker) speaker cable.
    I had also bought a subwoofer which arrived at the same time.

The cables alone made a huge improvement to the soundstage – I.E. musical instruments were better defined, improved bass & clearer treble, and we could now hear instruments in tracks we hadn’t heard before! Sorry but that level of change couldn’t be denied unless you were deaf.

I didn’t even bother with the subwoofer, it went back unopened, I was that happy with the end result, and I listen to everything from classical & jazz to techno and D&B.
    I still have all the kit now & it still kicks out a great sound.

If you have a few well produced, complex test albums to listen to – not the latest compressed pop cheese, this helps show differences better.

I just don’t believe that studios wire up speakers audio inputs with mains. I suspect the mains flex is reserved for power inputs to active monitors, only!

ransos
    Free Member

Sorry but that level of change couldn’t be denied unless you were deaf.

How come no-one’s ever managed (AKAIK) to notice such changes under blind conditions in a properly controlled test?

chiefgrooveguru

Depending on the output stage of your CD player, using a better cable could make a difference. Likewise going from skinny to fatter cables. But once you get into vaguely decent cables (i.e. low DC resistance and low capacitance per metre) then any audible improvements from more expensive cables are vanishingly small. 13A mains cable makes much better speaker leads than cheap skinny speaker cable – just compare the area of the conductors!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

For equal SPL you’ll have higher voicecoil temperature, greater cone excursion and more current flow with a smaller speaker, so the performance will be diverging from its small signal parameters. The voicecoil heating and cone excursion will increase the Q of the speaker, giving it worse transient response, so more DCR in the cable will exacerbate that through a loss of amplifier damping. With a valve amp there’s already a huge amount of cable in the output transformer and valve amps have poor damping because they’re transformer coupled.

good explanation – thanks.

A speaker designer I know said that they used to have problems with their Quad 606s not being brilliantly stable and sometimes causing problems. My amps are 707s and 909s and so fairly similar.

One of the setups I use that gives me problems with the cables is when I use some external crossovers that he designed with LS3/5as – the crossovers have huge transformers and capacitors in which wouldn’t fit in the speaker cabinet. This involves 6 runs of cable – one from the amp to the crossover and then two from the crossover to the speaker terminals that are coupled straight to the drivers. Sounds all phasy and wrong with 4mm stranded VanDamme cable (as recommended by Bryston and PMC) and 4mm stranded Quad cable, but fine with 2.5mm VanDamme or 1.5mm Kef cable.

Excellent, you can win yourself a million dollars.

trouble is that his test involves spotting difference in cables – so whereas I might be able to spot differences between some cables in my setup with certain amps and speakers, there is no guarantee that you would hear those same differences in another system – he may have some super-stable amp that is agnostic to any load.

The other consideration is the placebo effect.

Now I always expect a cable with reasonable parameters to make no difference – and so my preference is to buy a brown shielded cable so it doesn’t show the stain when the cat decides to cr8p on it.

I am therefore disappointed/frustrated when I find a cable making a difference – I wish it didn’t.

That has to be the opposite way round from what I would need to be affected by the placebo effect.

ransos
    Free Member

That has to be the opposite way round from what I would need to be affected by the placebo effect.

Not necessarily. In medical trials, people have shown a benefit from placebos even when they’ve been told it’s a placebo!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Ransos you need to make an appointment with the real world some time.

One the one hand, lots of people say they can hear the difference that good quality cables can make in their systems. Those of that are happy in that conviction are happy in that conviction and we can go about our business thank you very much.

And on the other, you’re argument is that we’re are all experiencing something that is not real, that we are in some way disillusion and that the only explanation is that it’s placebo.

Placebo in what way? How can a speaker cable be placebo?

chiefgrooveguru

Geetee, the reason the placebo effect is so significant in fancy audio is that ears are not actually very good microphones. Our hearing is good despite our ears being quite poor, because our brain is a very powerful and well optimised post-processing unit. If you make the brain think that it should be hearing an improvement then it is likely to work harder on the post-processing so you hear better sound. It’s not that you’re imagining there being an improvement because you really are hearing an improvement – but the reason you’re hearing an improvement is not due to an improved sound reaching your ears, as that hasn’t changed at all!

ransos
    Free Member

One the one hand, lots of people say they can hear the difference that good quality cables can make in their systems. Those of that are happy in that conviction are happy in that conviction and we can go about our business thank you very much.

Lots of folk will tell you how homeopathic remedies have cured their illness. Do you believe them?

It’s very simple. If there is a difference, you will hear it under blind conditions. If you can’t, there isn’t.

That’s the real world.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Not necessarily. In medical trials, people have shown a benefit from placebos even when they’ve been told it’s a placebo!

but I was not expecting any difference at all.

For instance I choose a cable recommended by Bryston and PMC (two respectable companies, surely?) thinking that I could just plug it in and not have to worry, and was then surprised that there was a difference – my mind was not ‘prepped’ to expect a difference.

Lots of folk will tell you how homeopathic remedies have cured their illness. Do you believe them?

if you word it differently – saying that a practitioner prescribed them a homeopathic remedy and they got better – then that is possible.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Our hearing is good despite our ears being quite poor, because our brain is a very powerful and well optimised post-processing unit. If you make the brain think that it should be hearing an improvement then it is likely to work harder on the post-processing so you hear better sound.

very true – it seems your mind scales you expectations depending on what it can see it is coming from. This is why I might think my kitchen radio sounds good, whereas in reality it sounds very mediocre.

ton

one of my customers, who spends 120k a year doing home cinema stuff, has just finished reading this thread.
    he say’s he cannot believe the folk are so **** gullible!
    and that folk can spout so much shyte………. 😆

ransos
    Free Member

but I was not expecting any difference at all.

Just like someone who’s been told they’re taking a placebo…

if you word it differently – saying that a practitioner prescribed them a homeopathic remedy and they got better – then that is possible.

Or it’s regression to the mean.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Or it’s regression to the mean.

or not.

ransos
    Free Member

or not.

In which case, homeopathic remedies would be more successful at making people better than placebos…

geetee1972
    Free Member

one of my customers, who spends 120k a year doing home cinema stuff, has just finished reading this thread.

So expensive TVs, multi channel amps and speakers can make a difference to the reproduction of sound but the quality of the cabling can’t?

Ranson – I’ve done the blind listening test. My wife who knows nothing about the subject switched between cable runs while I sat blindfold and I heard the difference. It’s pretty simple.

The irony is that the difference while preferable wasn’t better or worse and the cable itself wasn’t expensive at £15 a metre.

I think what you’re getting hot under the collar about is the difference between say £15 a metre and £150 or even £1500 a metre.

I tried Chord Signature at £2000 for two 4m runs and it sounded fine but no better or worse than the Mogami at £150 for two equivalent runs.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘Speaker cable’ is closed to new replies.