Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • SPD pedals with larger platform
  • ryderredman
    Free Member

Hey,

Could anyone help reccomend me a cheapish set of SPD pedals that will give more of a standing platform for my feet.

After doing descents on my Shimano M520’s my feet seem to shiver from what I can only guess is lack of standing platform.

Oh and if they have an adjustable tension that’d be great!

patriotpro
    Free Member

Any of the Shimano ‘trail’ pedals…

richmtb

Shimano PD-M530 have a bigger platform they are essentially cheap version of the XT trail pedal.

PD-M424 have an even bigger resin cage.

Both are under £40

binners

You can pick Shimano PD-M530’s up for £23 at Chain Reaction at the moment. Which is unbelievable value for money. They’re absolutely brilliant!

thetallpaul
    Free Member

+1 for the M530’s. That price is very good too.

tomhoward

What binners said, I’ve a pair and they are ace, everything you need.

XT’s are a bit nicerer though, if you are feeling flush.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I love my 530s they seem to be pretty damn tough as well.

andytherocketeer

PD M545 – same as the resin cage one mentioned above, but with Alu cage, and still reasonably priced.

Really need to check compatibility with shoes though. My shimano shoes fit with them perfectly, but friend’s mavic or something shoes don’t work.

Tempted to try the XT trail pedals next time.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do they have to be Shimano? (As in do you have cleats in shoes etc?)

If not…Time FTW!

teef
    Free Member
    ryderredman
    Free Member

Do they have to be Shimano? (As in do you have cleats in shoes etc?)

@CaptainFlashheat and teef, are the times adjustable though? I’m sure I heard somewhere that they just have the one setting!

And everyone else, thanks for your responses! Shall purchase some tomorrow if I pass my Cisco exam as a treat!

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

are the times adjustable though?

Some of them are, some not, but you honestly don’t miss it on the ones that aren’t.
    These are: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/time-atac-mx6/rp-prod105728

zerocool

These have a big platform and are comfy to ride all day on CRC Shimano
    or these Shimano DX
    Not as pretty as the newer trail pedals, but a bigger platform. Been using them all year without bother

Tom KP

Jamie
    Free Member

You can pick Shimano PD-M530’s up for £23 at Chain Reaction at the moment. Which is unbelievable value for money. They’re absolutely brilliant!

Even cheaper using code CWM13, and collect from Halfords. They have black and white in stock.

composite
    Free Member

Dam just bought a pair of 530’s for my new build from Merlin for £23.

I have a pair of the DX on one bike and I like them but no more than the 530’s I have on another bike. The 530’s are far better value for money.

zippykona

If these pedals offer support how do you click in and out?
    Does the platform on a candy do anything in real life?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As above re adjustable.

Zippy, Time also have more float, which may well be better for your iffy knee.

Andy_K

I’ve had the XT trails, and despite the weight penalty much prefer the DX pedals. Much less slipping about on top of them when you’re trying to get back in on a tricky section.

The cage on the trail ones seems more to protect the pedal than offer useful support.

VanHalen

bloody hellfire, how heavy are those Time pedals! over 1kg the pair – do they do a mag/plastic version?

candys have no platform. if you use disco slippers you shim the cleat so the shoe tread rests either side of the springs to offer support. to be honest i dont see the point of these pedals over eggbeaters other than to offer protection to the springs.

if you run flat pedal shoes you may find you cant do the support thing above and it feels a bit wobbly (as the tread is generally less deep). Also as you weight the pedal the springs press apart which means you go through cleats quicker as they need to be less worn to work. since i got disco slippers for the xc bike i found i can re-use the old cleats on my mallet setup fine when they were blowing out of the candys (same shoe – vans warners).

cheers

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

bloody hellfire, how heavy are those Time pedals! over 1kg the pair – do they do a mag/plastic version?

The 525g weight is for a pair, not each, and yes, the ones I linked are lighter and very comparable weight wise with the Shimano and Crank Brothers ones with a simliar size platform.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The 525g weight is for a pair, not each, and yes, the ones I linked are lighter and very comparable weight wise with the Shimano and Crank Brothers ones with a simliar size platform.

Indeed. They are also virtually indestructible, with bearings that will still be spinning smoothly at the end of all time.

Superficial
    Free Member

Whilst off the bike, clip your shoes into Shimano PD-M530 trail pedals and look at how much of the cage is actually touching the sole of the shoe (hint: none).

Then explain to me how they offer more support when clipped in. 🙄

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘SPD pedals with larger platform’ is closed to new replies.