Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Spanish winter riding
  • matt_outandabout

Eldest_oab’s gap year continues as he and a pal have how earned enough to follow up the Morzine trip with a warm winter sun trip.
    They are thinking Spain, somewhere. Any ideas for a Spanish Morzine that is actually open in the winter (I’m not convinced!)
    Open to other location ideas, that are closeish/ train/ European flight.

dogbone
    dogbone

But that’s guided rather than Bike Park.

matt_outandabout

Yeah, they’re competent to self-guide or bike park.

sharkattack

Is there a Spanish bikepark that’s open in winter? I can’t think of one.

Switchbacks is only guided in the sense that you’re using their van to do uplifts on gravel roads and Mike will probably come riding with you. He’s not a babysitter. It’s no manicured bikepark and Benalmadena certainly isn’t a Spanish Morzine.

Still fun if you just want to ride rough and ready DH trails in sun and dust rather than rain and mud.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Have a gander a mctrail riders videos, he went to spain over the winter for a good few months last year, plenty inspiration on there.

ganic
    Free Member

La Fenasosa bike park in Alicante is open all year. It’s definitely not a typical bike park though. Rocky, tech and jumps, not your usual motorway smooth tracks. It’s awesome though.

matt_outandabout

Rocky, tech and jumps, not your usual motorway smooth tracks

Just perfect for the two of them.

taxi25
    Free Member

Video here, it does look fun 😁

ganic
    Free Member

It’s a great place to ride, most people who ride there haven’t experienced much like it, not in the UK at least.

They also do a full 3 course Spanish meal at lunch, and if approached with enthusiasm the afternoon’s riding begins with extreme ‘cafe legs’.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

I reckon there’s a few in Portugal open through winter. Lausa for example, Wheeler’s MTB hols might be worth a look?

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

I believe Zona Cero is open year round, not the typical bike park as you have to climb the trails though.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Not bike park but there is a company called Sierra MTB as well that organises Spainish Winter riding.
    I’ve done a week with them and a week with Switchbacks and am now out of ideas of where else to try for Winter riding. (Not keen on flying any further than Spain though!)

TheFlyingOx

I did a week guided in La Gomera in January last year. Weather was a bit British at the top of the island but mid-high 20s down at beach level, which is where every ride ended up. 100% recommended. Flight to Tenerife, ferry from Los Cristianos over to San Sebastian, car hire to drive to wherever – we were based in Valle Gran Rey which was very nice. IIRC, we were about £500 for the week, inc. flights, ferry, car, accommodation and 4 days guided.

Akers

Not Spain, but Sospel is open year round. If you can get a few of you together (4 minimum), for 45 euros per person per day, you can get Coolbus to run uplift for you.

Also look at DH Guide Canarias http://www.downhilldays.com Not used myself, but looks like they offer what you’re looking for.

dakuan
    Free Member

Another southern Spain option is Enduro malaga. Main differentiator from the other outfits is the guy who runs it and leads all the rides is probably the best rider you’ll ever hit the trails with. You’ll learn a heck of a lot. You do need to like dogs though 😀

spekkie
    Free Member

Our Zona Zero trails are open and rideable pretty much all year round and they’re awesome!

matt_outandabout

🤙 as per pm, I’m wrestling teenagers!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Spanish winter riding’ is closed to new replies.