Home Forums Bike Forum Southwold Gravel Style Route recommendations

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Southwold Gravel Style Route recommendations
  • fenboy

I’m off on a wee jolly with the Mrs in September, she’s doing a course nr Lowestoft for 4 days but we’re staying in Southwold. I’ve done a bit of looking and found a few possible routes, Wolfs Way being one, which i can do part of.

Does anyone have any recommendations around there? doesn’t have to be headbanger loops as just as happy to ride somewhere do some birdwatching/sketching/coffee drinking /ale sampling and ride back. Will be on a gravel bike

I am from the Fens originally but never been to Southwold/Lowestoft area and left the flatlands many yrs ago.

cheers

Sandwich

The bridleway section towards Covehithe can be a bit sandy (he said with some understatement) in dry weather. It’s possible to cross the A12 at Wangford in some safety and make your way to Halesworth, head out on the cycle route from Halesworth and cross back at Darsham.

The southern section across the Dunwich Heath is also a bit sandy (see warning above). The pubs in Walberswick and Eastridge are ok. The Ship at Dunwich is now a bit expensive as is the Crown at Westleton.

MoreCashThanDash

Two Magpies bakery shops worth finding.

Adams in Southwold obviously.

Never been but St Peters brewery in Bungay do some nice stuff. Their Whiskey beer was nice

garage-dweller

There’s some lovely spots along that bit of coast.  I’m off there next week with my boys leaving mrs gd to a bit of peace at home!

Less sure about gravel (I’m normally on the lanes) but you’ve got Minsmere up past the Dingle Marshes to Walberswick for bird watching but you have to go inland to pedal between.

If I spot any good tracks on our travels I will try and remember to add here.

fenboy

thanks guys.

@garage-dweller
    i was thinking i might change the bike and maybe go more of a randonneur set up rather than gravel so lanes advice would also be good!

matt_outandabout

We have walked the coast all around there, I have cycled a good few roads, and have ‘mountain’ biked down in Tunstall. Tunstall and Rendlesham have lots of forest tracks and small roads to pedal which are very pleasant.

However, last few pedals around Aldeburgh and around Orford saw us find a couple of blocked bridleways, keep out signs and some very grump residents…

avdave2

I stayed nearby 4 years ago and took the rode bike, end of August leading up to the bank holiday but the small roads were really quiet and it was really nice. Only downside is when you take a turn and realise that you’ve turned into a headwind that isn’t going anywhere for the next 30 miles :-)

verses

Only downside is when you take a turn and realise that you’ve turned into a headwind that isn’t going anywhere for the next 30 miles

Also known as a Suffolk hill climb :-)

scud
    Free Member

have a look at Wolf Way and its variants

vd

Covehithe to Southwold is good. Then Southwold to Walberswick, out across Tinkers Walks along the Blyth inland, before picking up the Sandlings Walk (cheeky but few walkers). Inland to Westleton Walks and on to Eastbridge. Sizewell beach is always an interesting visit. Further south, lOts of heath around Thorpeness.

An alternative from Walberswick to Dunwich across Westwood Marshes through the Dingle hills (each about 5-10m above sea level) is lovely but very cheeky and only when VERY quiet. It is however just about my favourite ever walk, across the marshes to The Ship at Dunwich, back along the beach to Walberswick.

I have ridden a lot of the bridle ways and byways on a road bike with 23mm tyres. Sand is an issue but nothing terribly rough. You won’t need an MTB.

vd

Ps Marsh Harriers and bitterns if twitching

Sandwich

And more buzzards than are credible at times. Keep an eye out for Red Kites too as they are gaining a foothold.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.