Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Southampton – SPORTS CENTRE BIKE ZONE IS GO!
  • Wibble89
    Free Member

New size looks awesome, much better proportioned! I should be able to make the Friday dig session hopefully with a spade, unfortunately the trusty mattock is back home.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Spread the news to people you ride with this weekend please.

There is a donations pot in The Hub in Shirley and they guys behind the counter should be able to give more info too.

nixie

Did about 10 loops on my way home. Much better size now. Can see it being a good challenge with rollers and berms.

dobo
    Free Member

£5 donated, doubt i can get down there to help so hope this goes towards getting some tools you need.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

If we can keep this up we will get a digger. i have asked the guys at the hub to have a word with the hire shop next door to get a good rate.

I think if we get one we will be able to do more than just the pump track. I reckon the Kids Loop and the Childrens Trail are easy and will please the moaning middle class so they are next on the plan. After that it is the big tracks.

These are going to be like the Workmans and the Dual Track next to it. They more major undertakings so maybe the next build weekend.

I am stuck in London all week again so it will be difficult to organise but here’s hoping!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Heading up the woods in a couple of hours on the jump bike. If you have any questions and see a fat bloke on a kids bike then it may well be me. Stop me and ask away!

DT78
    Free Member

I had a little look at the site yrsterday, if you can get a digger you’ll easily get the pump track cut in a day, attempted to get out of my family easter plans to come help. Flat no from the wife.

garage-dweller

Sent you £10 by paypal as can’t make it as labour, but not sure if it’ll arrive before dig day (PP says 5-7 days)

All the best for the digging, look forward to seeing the finished product.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Looks like a few Newforce chaps will be there at some point to add some muscle too!

😆

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Good lads

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

More donations and help on Friday welcome
    Thanks

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Gnarr! Can’t get a digger!

We have £105 donated. I originally had a ‘rough estimate’ of £160 so was going to stump up the difference.

I have been phoning around trying to book something and they all say that because of the Bank Holiday I need to rent for the week. The only person who has one available at the moment wants £276 for Thursday afternoon until Tuesday.

Either you guys are going to be very generous before the end of the day or we are using pick axes and wheel barrows.

All money raised so far will go towards the rental costs for the next phase development. I will try to get Active Nation (the charity running the sports centre) to give us an account or something we can put our funds into rather than using my paypal account.

If anyone does want their money back just let me know and I will return it, no issues.

nixie

one of these would be better than nothing!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Could be worth a punt…

It could at least be used to break the surface for the trails.

I will try and get one of those. Good thinking.

nixie

up you go!

noteeth
    Free Member

Good stuff.

I’m no longer in Soton, but have sent a tenner your way.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Cheers noteeth.

There is now a rotorvator in the back of my truck ready for 10:30 tomorrow morning.

I am just going down to make sure the tyre logos are lined up properly on it.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Well it id D-Day*, let’s hope some of you turn up or I could be getting blisters today!

See you there.

*d-day = Dig Day

atlaz
    Free Member

WCA – you still need donations? I’m unlikely to live in Soton again but will probably ride there as my folks live down there and somewhere to get the stupid habits out of my dad’s riding will be good. I’ll also get him to donate too (he’d help with digging but had a hand op a couple of weeks back).

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

All money welcome. Any that is not spent on this phase will be spent on the next.

Thankfully I am not too much out of pocket so far but we had to drop from a digger to a rotovater when the digger price jumped from £170 to £296 because the bloke realised it was a bank holiday weekend. I am not rich enough to bank roll the whole thing so these donations are vital to keep it going. Stupid things like Hazard Tape cost £12 from Screwfix. Money just keeps draining away.

At least we have enthusiastic labourers!

richen987
    Free Member

Have fun today will see you there tomorrow.

mattbee

Just finishing my coffee then it’s off to work to pick up some digging tools (will have spares!) and I’ll be on my way up.

gary

Not sure I will make it a long to help but have stuck a donation in your paypal pot Nick. good luck, at least the weather is good for now!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Great days digging!

We have the pump track rideable but needs building up and making the berms thicker and the bumps wider. Lots of digging and barrow work tomorrow.

We have the pedal free childs oval complete. also makes a great drift track for mountain bikes.

The first childrens long track has been scraped but the rotovator ran out of fuel. That is a big task for tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone who helped today.
    Thanks to everyone who has donated money from here.
    Thanks to everyone who is coming tomorrow.

PS £45 donated from people walking past which is good. Not a single negative comment which is even better.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

photo by ciderinsport, on Flickr

Good days work!

After last night, today killed me! Well worth it!

DT78
    Free Member

Wow, you guys got loads done even without the mini digger.

Great to hear passers by donating too.

When is the next dig weekend planned, I’ll try to make sure I am about to help

scaredypants

just looked up this thread to see what was going on and to make a grovelling apology 😳 – my wife’s going to have to be on-call all weekend due to a colleague being ill, and for that reason I’m out. Will be sending some cash though.

great work, BTW

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

No apologies needed mate, cash is fine 😉

More seriously, we are digging again and possibly for most of the weekend. The aim is to complete the little childs oval (done), the pump track (in progress), the childs long track (just about started)

We will then be pausing for a few weeks to let the shit storm of questions / protests / support that will happen when people see something new.

You will hear about the next dig day. Plan for about a months time.

dobo
    Free Member

good job, wonder if they will include this on the next CX race 😉

petestuart
    Free Member

I’m back in Southampton for Sunday. Will keep an eye on this thread to see if you’re still going then.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

We will be there pete – might be finished so you can enjoy the riding!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

May I just as Mrs world class accident thank you all for your support today Nick was blown away by all of you who turned up to support this venture and to thank all of you who have pledged to arrive tomorrow. He is appalled that i am on here doing this but well . I just want to thank you it has been amazing x

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Mrs WCA – welcome!

He himself was in fine form as usual!

After a protracted negotiation it does appear I will be turning up at some point on Sunday with a seasoned test pilot!

Lake_Jump_(157) by ciderinsport, on Flickr

Yes, Miss Mini Ciderinsport has agreed to wave her usual appearance fee for this great event!

mattbee

Bit sore this morning! Will be over from Portsmouth again today though, some more digging should loosen the muscles up nicely. Will be there at middayish, as I have to walk the dog first so he won’t mind sitting & watching.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I feel like a cross between Ground Force and The Big Build off the telly.

We started with nothing but a hill and a few volunteers. Just 2 days later we have a decent pump track, a fun swoopy trail and and a drift oval.

Thanks to all the guys who helped and all those who donated. We actually have about £50 in the kitty for the next build.

Please can everyone come and ride the trails.

Please can everyone who has small children bring them to ride too. we need to show children and families using these trails too.

Thanks again to everyone, without you it wouldn’t happen!

petestuart
    Free Member

Are you still building Sunday?

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Any pics of how it finished?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

i am heading over shortly. Mainly riding today but there will be a few spades lying around.

This is from Friday afternoon so only 1 days digging.

Official photographer over there today at 11.

richen987
    Free Member

Have fun today was looking and riding great when I left yesterday will post up some pics in a bit and ill send you a link nic. Keep at it a brilliant thing for the area. 🙂

richen987
    Free Member

the man himself WCA showing the kids how it is done 😉

here is a couple more shots and a link to the album, it was good to see a nice mix of people helping, stopping to ask what was going on, donating money, riding.

here is a link to some more pics
    http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac160/richen987/southampton%20bike%20track/

some younger riders

some older riders

some even older riders…..(caution some awesome may be leaking out)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Southampton – SPORTS CENTRE BIKE ZONE IS GO!’ is closed to new replies.