Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Southampton – SPORTS CENTRE BIKE ZONE IS GO!
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I just spoke with the guys who runt he sports centre and they said we can start to build the pump track next weekend (Easter weekend, not 31st/1st).

I have spray painted the centre line for the pump track on the slope so you can see where it will be.

We need people Bank Holiday Friday/Saturday and possibly Sunday to turn up with spades, forks and pick axes to build this. The aim is to break turf on Friday morning and then ride it on Sunday.

The pump track isn’t that big so we should manage it. If we are ahead of schedule I have extra plans I cannot mention out loud right now.

Spread the word. 10:30 Friday 6th. Turn up tooled up and lets get this built.

Check with the guys in The Hub in Shirley for more details.

chojin
    Free Member

Im in Wales all weekend, else I’d be there 🙁

tomtomr

Great news that things are moving ahead on the ground

I’ve got a broken collarbone at the moment, so won’t be able to do much spadework 🙁 May wander up to see whats going on and offer words of encouragement though

I’ll let some friends from the Uni club know too, some of them might be up for helping out although I’m not sure how many will be around in the middle of the Easter break.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scaredypants

excellent !

I may be able to get down at least one day

(please define tooled up so I know what to bring – I assume you don’t mean shootahs 😉 )

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Everybody welcome. If all you can do is make tea and look a stuff then still please come and bring your family and mates.

This is our chance to show the Sport Centre bods that we want something and we are willing to help create it. All the stuff that gets built up in Lordswood gets flattened. We thought Wonderland was okay and it was killed. We thought Utopia was safe, it got killed.

What we build in the Sports Centre is sanctioned and protected. Lets make it good.

puffnutts
    Free Member

Great news. Will try and be there at least one day. Well done.

mattbee

I’ll be there Fri definately and possibly Sat. I have a fair few digging tools, want a wheelbarrow as well? Can sling one in the Disco.

nixie

I’ve got a barrow, pick axe and spade. Should be able to help for at least some of the time (noise machine dependant :D).

40mpg

Whereabouts in the Sports Centre is this going? How long will the track be?

Posted on the Newforce forum for support 🙂

Wibble89
    Free Member

As you go up the tarmac climb towards lordswood/coxford road its on the flatter grass on the left at the top.

Its great that it is going ahead and I don’t want to be a downer but it looks quite small. Are the markings the inside diameter or OD? Looks a little smaller than the pumptrack that used to be in utopia.

DT78
    Free Member

Absolutely brilliant news, thought this had been forgotten about. I’m in wales too that weekend, but will be happy to come along and help out at future digs.

So – is it all going to be done by volunteers? There was mention of Rowan (and others) getting involved.

scaredypants

Wibble89 – Member
    As you go up the tarmac climb towards lordswood/coxford road its on the flatter grass on the left at the top

Is that closeish to the main car park (where the sporting view is), or else where should I park up ?

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Will try to be there! 😆

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It is a small pump track. The dimensions were taken from Pump Track Nation.

Remember that this is only one part of the bigger bike skills area.

If we get enough people turning up we can build more. I wanted to judge support first.

Tools = shovels, spades, pick axes, wheel barrows.

Also if it stays hot like this bring water to drink.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

if it stays hot like this bring CIDER to drink.

FIFY 😉

ciderinsport
    Free Member

ummm, just a thought….. anyone got a mini digger??

Might save a few hours!

DIS

That sounds great (the bike Zone, but a digger would be good to!) remember WCA showing me some new tracks in Lordswood back in October and saying about this. Glad to hear it is now to get started.

Was going be busy doing some thing else but now busy doing this in stead. Should be able to help both days. Will have a look tomorrow if get chance, see if i can find some grass with spay paint on.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

If anyone has a mini digger going spare that weekend then bring it along.

If the weather holds I might persuade the wife to prep some food for a BBQ and beer/cider session in the evening.

jedi

awesome news!

nixie

If someone has a petrol rotorvator that would also help break the surface quickly.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

I’m at a wedding in yorkshire all that weekend which i’m already pretty sulky about and then you announce this! I can’t come to this dig but will happily help at any later one.

Well done WCA!

DT78
    Free Member

Why don’t you set up a PayPal account so people can donate for tool hire? I’m not around but happy to chuck a fiver in the pot towards a rotavator…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Good idea DT78. I am currently paying for everything out of my own pocket, I may as well share the pain.

Any idea how to do this? I guess you lot just need my email address and then you gift me the money. I will keep track of the money we get and use it towards the project. Anything left over gets drunk by the team.

Sound like a plan?

nclarksouthampton AT gmail DOT com

Put some kind of message in the gift payment so I put the mnoney in the correct pot.

Cheers
    Nick

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Looks like about £200 for a digger for the weekend. Start donating or asking around if anyone has one we can borrow.

nixie

Nick, talk to Barn @ the hub, he might be able to arrange a cheaper hire from the place next door. I think though to hire a digger you might need someone qualified to drive them!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I can get a driver.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

The money has started to arrive! Thanks.

The more we get, the quicker the build goes ahead!

chojin
    Free Member

Bloody good idea about donating – mods, any chance of making this a sticky for a while?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just been over to correct my deliberate mistake on the measurements :-()

It is now a little bigger, shame the guys who okayed it won’t be back in time to see the increased size 😉

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Good idea on the money – will send some over now

nixie

Thought it felt small this morning!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

About 50% bigger. Just been over on my little jump bike and it feels about the right size now.

Blue marks the inside of the track and blue/yellow the outside (I ran out of blue)

Yellow bits between the edges show the bumps going up, down or flat.
    Let’s hope for some rain between now and then, the ground is like concrete at the moment!

PS Thanks for the donations so far. Not quite a digger yet but an amazing start. If we don’t get the digger for this weekend we can roll over to when we put the bigger trails in. What ever happens the money will be spent on the bike area.

DT78
    Free Member

Just donated a tenner. If anyone else is reading the thread, but doesn’t know Nick, he is a perfectly trustworthy sort and you know your money will go towards the trail building.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I also run the Big Bike Bash in a similar trusting manner. i bank rolled that for the first two years.

thank reminds me, have i mentioned the Big Bike Bash is happening again this year and tickets are on sales here : http://www.bigbikebash.co.uk/tickets *

*sorry, force of habit 😉

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Over 25% of the way to the £200 in one day!!!!!

You guys amaze me. It is why I try never to let you down.

I am working on fitting the paddling pool into the back of the pickup so we can have access to water. The ground is a bit dry at the moment.

If we get a digger in I reckon we can get the small children’s circuit (push a long and pedal free bikes), The first Childrens trail (Easy swoops with a few small bumps as well as the pump track.

Thanks to all you who are making my mad ideas possible. I know I have talked to a load of you over time but remember this has taken me a year so far and I haven’t cut turf.

Without knowing you lot would support me I would have given up long ago.

FieldMarshall

Not sure I can make the dig. But have donated a tenner.

See you next Thurs.

jambo13
    Free Member

+£10; sorry I can’t be there, up in Scotland!!

Jealous of whoever gets to drive the digger, looks like awesome fun!!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Keep those donations coming. We are approaching the point where I can afford to pay the difference. well, about £75 short but we still have a week to go.

This should get us the pump track and a few extra bits done.

Thanks all. Just need to do the shovel work now.

garage-dweller

Great work on getting that sanctioned. Just started riding in that area again. Can’t make the digging but will try and something in the digger pot when i’m on a proper pc not a teeny phone.

pjm84
    Free Member

Just donated. Will try and pop over!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Southampton – SPORTS CENTRE BIKE ZONE IS GO!’ is closed to new replies.