Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Sorry….But recommend me a hydration pack please!
  • Potdog
    Free Member

I have a couple of possibly unusual requirements which I'm struggling to fulfil.

1 – The pack needs to open out so that it is easy to access the contents without emptying the bag each time.

2 – Needs a good cooling system for the back as it's pretty warm over here.

I thought the Lezyne power pack was my answer, but it's not quite there. It's got the general idea, but the opening compartment isn't very large and the compartments for spares wouldn't actually fit in them what they were supposedly designed for.

The Dakine Builder is another option, but it looks rather large and there isn't a stockist here where I can go look at one.

So, anyone else got any ideas?

Cheers

alpin
    Free Member

i got a Camelbak Hawg NV a couple of weeks ago. have used it (relatively) extensively since then.

has two side pockets for bits. a front pocket big enough to hold a few bars, map, wallet plus other bits. a mini pouch on top for mp3 or such like. a decent (~17ltr) main compartment. the drink bladder has its own separate section meaning you don't need to empty the pack in order to fill the bladder. there is also enough room in the bladder section for things that are seldomly used, such as 1st aid kit.

the pack sits off your back with some foamy pads that are connected to a hard back-plate so that nothing can stick through and poke your back.

llama

there are lots of smaller dakine ones

I've got a little dakine drafter and its fine 3rd year in. Insulated foil pocket, fleece pocket, straps for pads you can hide away, folds out, lots of compartments, detachable hose – thats really useful btw. Have taken keys/cash/phone, tools/spares, food, arm/leg pads, waterproof, and a full face.

Not light but its not a race pack. Only 2 litres so for super long days you might need a refill somewhere.

Tiger6791

I bought a Leyzene pack and the bladder is utter tosh!

Wookster

HI mate got a new drafter 2.75ltr res and all the pockets you'll need opens right ou and has zipped mesh pocket on the inside really good, in fact I prefer it to my mule (which it replaced)

Mikey65
    Free Member

camelbak mtb100 for medium
    camelbak hawg for larger size

simples

hora
    Free Member

Potdog, see my current thread- sounds spot on for you.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Osprey, Osprey, Osprey. That is all.

Awesome packs, superb bladders.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

I just bought a camelback octane, and its amazingly light but still feels substantial with expandable storage and compression cords to pull it in. Amazing pack

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Osprey +1

tony24
    Free Member

have you had a look at all the hydration packs Decathlon sell? i went in there the other day and got 1 as my camelback is a little to big. i got the rockrider 5 hydration pack total cost with bladder and mouth piece £19.99 they also do bigger and smaller 1's but the rockrider 5 1 is good looking and very light cant go wrong for £20.

gcaster
    Free Member

I really like my Hydrapak, bladder is great and they're a fair bit cheaper than Camelbaks.
    Not sure if they've got one that opens out but I've never felt uncomfortably hot with it on my back.

Potdog
    Free Member

Just had a look at the Osprey packs. The Raptor seems to be the answer to my prayers. Just need to Google up a price now. I have a feeling that they won't be "cheap".

Had a look at the "wingnut" packs too as in Hora's thread, and although they sit nice an low )which would do away with the problem of my current pack where it starts to loosen my helmet adjuster on steep descents) I'm not sure the light weight materials would last the abuse my packs get here.

How do you guys find the detachable hose on the Dakines? A mate here has problems with his disconnecting itself from the bladder mid ride.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Potdog, they're money well spent. I've been running a Raptor for a few months now and am very, very impressed.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Raptor – Great packs, expensive but worth it.

Potdog
    Free Member

Looks like 90 quid is about the going rate for the Raptor 18.
    Might have to wait until I get a chance to visit the UK though, I would really like to see one before taking the plunge just to make sure it has the compartment layout I want. Just watched the Raptor video on Youtube, and although the model demo'ed there was the 14 the pocket that opens out looks quite small.

My problem is that I quite often have to carry enough spares (mainly tubes) for up to 6 bikes. So things get a bit on the bulky side.

The Drafter is a fair bit cheaper and looks like it might fit the bill too, but not sure if it's quite big enough. Maybe I do need something like the Builder pack?

It's a bit of a pain having such a limited number of brands available in the few bike shops we have over here.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Dakine nomad, used a camelbak of different varieties over the years, went to this and realised I had found what I really needed

forgotmename
    Free Member

wingnuts are good. with osprey bladder.

whoopiegoldbars
    Free Member

Would strongly recommend any of the Dakine packs. As of yesterday I know have four (Amp, Drafter and 2 Sessions).

The 2010 Hydrapak bladders are a massive improvement on the ones that shipped with the 09 and 08 packs as well. There is no longer a swivel on the bladder where the hose connects and I haven't had any issues with these disconnecting.

They're also great quality and pretty much bombproof. Plus lifetime warranty if you're in the US and 2 years everywhere else, but they've replaced an item for me that was 4 years old before, no questions asked.

Potdog
    Free Member

Which brings me back to the lack of a Dakine stockist here. I've bought so many packs over the last couple of years trying to find the right one. I really need to see what I'm buying first in future.

Deffo a job for a little holiday to the UK this summer. Just hope the stitching on the Deuter lasts a couple of months longer, although saying that I've no shortage of other packs to go at!

PS. Do the Osprey packs come with a bladder or is that extra? It's not really clear on the website.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Small (ideal for 24 hr race etc): Camelbak Lobo

Medium: Mule

Large: The HOSS

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Sorry….But recommend me a hydration pack please!’ is closed to new replies.