• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by empy.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • SONOS – is this noise normal
  • empy
    Free Member

I’ve had a Sonos Play 5 for a few weeks now and while it’s great playing music, it does emit a high frequency noise when in standby mode which I think comes from the power supply. You have to get quite close to hear this but seems a bit strange for an audiophile bit of kit – just want to know if this is normal or I have a defective unit.

stumpy01

My bro-in-law has got one and it’s silent when turned off (standby, I presume).

Pretty sure it shouldn’t make any noise.

Yeah, probably from the power supply as you say so I’d take it back.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My Sonos 1 is silent when not in use but plugged in on standby. Curiously i’ve noticed over the past day or so that the little light on top has changed from white to green. I have no idea what that means. I wish I had read the instructions before I chucked them.

phiiiiil

Some power supplies do this; they’re not meant to but it doesn’t do any harm so I think most people ignore it. There will be a component inside resonating. I find it annoying, and from a decent hi-fi I think I’d see if they could replace it.

I have a Sony stereo that whined for a few days if you plugged an ipod in it; I took it to bits, prodded around until I found the culprit and smothered it in glue; sorted! 🙂

The wife’s coffee maker does it too. I’m trying to find the courage to take that to bits, in the certain knowledge that I will die if I break it…

empy
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies – don’t think I’ll take it to bits but I’ll give them a call and see what they say.

petrieboy

All my sonos stuff is silent (but I don’t have a 5) I’d be returning it. I understand they are very good about warranty stuff.

Slogo
    Free Member

Some power supplies do this; they’re not meant to but it doesn’t do any harm so I think most people ignore it. There will be a component inside resonating. I find it annoying, and from a decent hi-fi I think I’d see if they could replace it.

A hissing power supply is usually a faulty voltage regulator, capacitor or something on its way out. this can damage other components and is actually quite dangerous. Some use ferrite rings which vibrate which can be annoying but a good hifi should have all these glued down to stop this from happening.

If it was me i would send it back.

p7rich
    Free Member

Hiya bud. I have a 5 and i’ve never noticed any noise in standby. It’s in the bedroom so sure i would have noticed. I’ll check tonight and post back.

Do you have anything near the unit that could be causing some kind of interference??

p7rich
    Free Member

Nope, nothing like the noise you describe. Deffo take it back. If i squash my ear right up to the grille there’s a faint hiss, but nothing more.

Fat-boy-fat

A bit of a hum for a couple of minutes after hitting mute or the music selection ends, then blessed silence. I’d get it seen to if I was you.

tillydog
    Free Member

Not normal.

(2 ‘fives’)

gravity-slave
    Free Member

All my kit is silent on standby.

Wobbliscott,
    I think green indicates mute or pause.https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/227

mrchrispy

my 3 in th bedroom sometimes emits a very slight hiss type sounds. power off/power on sorts it (hey i do work in IT) so im not that fussed, its pretty infrequent. havent noticed it on the other 3 or the 5 and 1 (yes i am a sonos whore)

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Gravity slave, you’re right. After writing it I fired it up and the volume was muted.

empy
    Free Member

Looks like I have a dud – thanks for your help!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘SONOS – is this noise normal’ is closed to new replies.