Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Sonic boom in Cambridgeshire a few minutes ago
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

Thanks to the fighter pilot – scared the heck out of us and windows popping like a football hit them!

Bet the pilot is having fun!

richmars

Sorry.

pondo

Are you sure?

portlyone

Damn burrito

legend
    Free Member

Hora on a training ride?

somouk
    Free Member

Another call to get to London quickly maybe?

atlaz
    Free Member

Usually if you call the RAF they deny there was a plane anywhere near there. We had a flypast once where you could smell the exhaust but according to the local RAF, the aircraft had been over 10,000 feet.

willard

I thought someone on the building site had dropped a load of bricks on a truck or something.

MoreCashThanDash

Someone having a go at the TdF stage 3 Strava segment?

scud
    Free Member

I live in West Norfolk and we seem to have a lot of low flying aircraft at the moment at 10-11pm at night often waking my daughter up, impressive to watch the jets and big Osprey going over though, i did think there was restrictions to them being that low and loud until they go over the coast (8 miles from me) but obviously not.

Northwind

Something to do with this

StirlingCrispin

It’s even made the news!

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News/SONIC-BOOM-Houses-rocked-as-aircraft-breaks-the-sound-barier-over-Cambridgeshire-20140605132903.htm

“An MOD Spokesperson said: “The MoD can confirm that Typhoon aircraft from RAF Coningsby were launched from Quick Reaction Alert this afternoon to investigate a civilian aircraft which had lost radio contact with air traffic control.
    “The civilian aircraft re-established comms prior to intercept and was released to proceed en route.”
    It is understood the fighters are now back on the ground, however the MoD could not confirm whether their jets were responsible for the sonic boom.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

GrahamS

the MoD could not confirm whether their jets were responsible for the sonic boom.

LOL.

Yeah, it might have just been a really fast duck.

Jamie
    Free Member

Heard it in Peterborough.

It was loud.

colournoise

Very loud. Feel the pressure wave before you hear the sound, building wobbling loud.

Huge fun (or not) to be working in a school when that happens.

Jamie
    Free Member

Another quiet news day 😀

zippykona

Liking the Concorde picture.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not related to the home made curry thread then?

timc
    Free Member

It is not uncommon for a flow fly by from the RAF along the Liverpool waterfront, that said there have been far more than normal this week 🙂

pondo

Oh, fair play. I remember hearing one a couple of years ago when they launched jets for a helicopter that accidently sent a distress signal – dunno where the jets were, but the old sonic boom thing was impressively loud, shook the building like something very, very heavy had fallen over downstairs. 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Not related to the home made curry thread then?

That causes more of a parp, than a boom.

pondo

I like also that it’s reported that a SONIC BOOM has been heard, just to emphasise how loud it is. And just so you don’t take it too lightly, here’s a snippet of a report from last year’s –

“Insp Matt Snow of Cambridgeshire Police told the News: “Part of a tree has fallen down because of it so it really has affected people.“ “

See?!?!

Jamie
    Free Member

Hey! Don’t be hating on Insp. Matt Snow of Cambridgeshire Police, just because you were a doubting Thomas 8)

sbob
    Free Member

Didn’t hear it in St. Ives, but then I do have some heavy skanking reggae on the stereo with some mad tuff bass.

Houns

There will no doubt be some folk complaining about it (probably same folk who’d moan that the RAF didn’t act fast enough if it was a real risk )

thehustler
    Free Member

Camped at tattershall lakes (right by RAF Coningsby) last week, one of the highlights was free airshow as the typhoons and tornado’s were constantly in and out

Frankenstein
    Free Member

One my neighbours was driving behind a black sports car which did an emergency stop and the owner thought he’d hit a pedestrian.

Never seen my window flex so much like a football hit it by a penalty kick.

Hopefully it was England FC practising their shooting.

enfht
    Free Member

Watched an apache helicopter gunship fly over North London one morning a week or two back.

andytherocketeer

what was the Cornwall “sonic event” ? doesn’t seem to be related if the Typhoons were scrambled from Coningsby.

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/earthquakes/recent_events/sonic_cornwall_050614.html

jairaj

There was a similar situation almost the same time last year:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22926813

Baznav
    Free Member

**** apaches are like annoying insects round our way until gone 11 at night Bastuards.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

It was AirWolf

winston
    Free Member

That concorde picture brings back happy memories of singletrack past

heh heh

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI[/video]

winston
    Free Member

aaaahhhh the old days when the internet was all fields

Being able to change your username and swear

Tubeless tires with tubes in them

Penguin spaff

The world has changed my friend

BillMC

The government used to allow air forces from Europe to practice their low flying (for a fee) over Britain since they were not allowed to do it in their own countries. I don’t know whether it still does but with this neo-liberal lot I wouldn’t be surprised.

KonaTC

Could have been one of theses?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Sonic boom in Cambridgeshire a few minutes ago’ is closed to new replies.