Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Songs to test your system
  • stevied
    Free Member

Have now installed the new Q Acoustics speakers and started to run them in.
    Quality so far is light years ahead of the old Mordaunt Shorts so can’t wait to get them cranked up (I will wait though…)

So, what are some good tracks to test them out properly?

I’ve gone for the floorstanders as I’m hoping to get away with out a sub (for a while).

oikeith

I am in no way an audiophile but whenever someone shows me a new speaker set up I always play Dead Prez Hip Hop…

eulach

Release the Pressure (Leftism track one)

DezB
    Free Member

In the spirit of IHN’s post

Friday Bass . Possibly in your face

huckersneck
    Free Member

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Try the first couple of tracks on The Yellow Shark album by Frank Zappa.

stumpy01

One of the first song I’ll always fire up is “On & On” by Erykah Badu

Diane by Therapy?

Winter (Four Seasons) – Vivaldi

Mustang Sally – The Commitments

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

YYZ or La Villa Strangiato.

trailwagger
    Free Member

scruff9252

Venga Bus by the Vengaboys, natch.

thepurist

This is always a good test of any system.

Jakester
    Free Member

I use Led Zeppelin’s Celebration Day live album for “oomph”, and this for nuance and detail etc:

https://www.amazon.com/Young-Heart-Tony-Williams-Trio/dp/B00000D9TG

welshfarmer

There is a song on the first Scissor Sisters album with a very strange sub-tone riff that absolutely destroys my speakers like no other track. Not sure which one of top of my head (just checked it is “can’t come quickly enough”). Not an especially great track but seems to find the limits of my speakers at relatively low volumes.

Otherwise I like Red Hot chilli Peppers, “Under the Bridge” to test speaker quality across the full range.

RobHilton
    Free Member

The first few bars after the white noise of this for deep-down bass. The rest of it is forgettable

Keva
    Free Member

Bolivian folk music

slowoldman

Yes Yellow Shark is a good one as is “Ship arriving too late to save a drowning witch” if you want a more rock vibe.

Frankie’s “Pleasure Dome” too but if you want to know how accurate your setup is try the BIS recording of Durufle’s “Four motets on Gregorian themes”. No it has nothing to do with baked goods.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Brass and female vocals for the crucial midrange.

Most dance etc tracks have heaps of bass but it isn’t always that fast so my not show up the bass response. Back in Black a good one?

nbt

richmars

Something you enjoy listening to?

stevied
    Free Member

Thanks. Building a Spotify playlist 🙂

binners

A couple of good’un for testing the bass. Crank it up to eleven and see if you can cause some structural damage to your house 😀

binners

welshfarmer

That sounds fun. Force yourself to listen to them all, right the way through 🙂

StuF

So many choices….

Radiohead – No Surprises
    Bjork – Hyper Ballad
    London Grammer – Hey Now
    The ProdIgy – Breathe
    Gregory Porter – Liquid Spirit
    Loyle Carner – Ain’t Nothing Changed
    Massive Attack – Protection
    Nick Cave – The Mercy Seat
    Noname – Blaxploitation

redmex
    Free Member

Out on the weekend by Neil Young or the aliens ate my buick album by thomas dolby

maccruiskeen

Test your cistern while you’re at it

matt_outandabout

Release the Pressure (Leftism track one)

^ this

Plus

tmb467
    Free Member
    DezB
    Free Member

Songs to Test Headphones

Crikey – 150 songs to choose from there. Good stuff. (Except Phil Collins 😆 )

easily
    Free Member

Nobody dislikes Collins more than me, but including him in a headphone test kind of makes sense – his sort of music is all about production.

As an aside, a modern day Judgment of Paris type question:
    If you met Sting, Bono, and Collins but you could only punch one of them in the face which would you choose

hatter

Ed Solo – Age of Dub

Have this on 12″ for just such an occasion, never felt anything quite like it on a decent system.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

for something different – I found this was perfect when I bought my system many moons ago…
    Philip Glass – Akhnaten

Klunk
    Free Member

nosedive
    Free Member

Step into a world by KRS1. Such a clean bassline and a stunning high end vocal sample. Its my go to set up test track

beanum

Lamb – In Binary (first track on Backspace Rewind)

tmb467
    Free Member

As an aside, a modern day Judgment of Paris type question:
    If you met Sting, Bono, and Collins but you could only punch one of them in the face which would you choose

I’d punch Bono in the back of the head but tell him that Phil did it. Sting is a Geordie so as soon as Collins hit Bono back, he’d jump in too. Then I’d stand back and admire my work

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

Your best bet is to listen to a load of stuff you’re really familiar with, that will tell you if they’re making a good representation of the music versus just hearing how loud they go. Posted a couple of YT links, may be to your taste or not but I find them a good test. You’ll want to use decent quality streaming or preferably flac files if you can though, youtube will likely be the weakest link in your chain.

These three are a solid bass test:

And the next two have those vocals that should sound as if they’re right in front of you:

Bonus filth, this just sounds like a mess on subpar speakers:

Enjoy your new kit!

Edit: of course I didn’t embed the videos properly
    Edit edit: turns out trying to embed doesn’t work, just posting the link does, happy days

Klunk
    Free Member

some more bass tests

eulach

A couple of good one in there. Thanks people.
    I particularly like the Dead Prez and the David Arnold thing (you need to listen to it in it’s entirity all of it).
    I’d like to know which scissor sisters track it was, I prefered Abbot’s version of Atmosphere and I completely got rickrolled (again). I didn’t try the brown thing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Songs to test your system’ is closed to new replies.