Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • SON/Exposure dynamo hubs
  • itstig

Are they the same? They look very similar.

scotroutes

These ones?

http://www.sp-dynamo.com/

I think exposure are re-selling the PD-8

STATO
    Free Member

The exposure is just a rebranded SP, which look very similar to son as they apparently make the parts for SON who then build them up with better quality internals. My SP seems pretty good, god knows what will happen when it needs serviced (you cant!) but no reports of rapid failures on the net and theyve been out a while now.

itstig

Eh I thought I posted a reply but it has not appeared. Thanks I was trawling my too many bookmarks prompted by Mike Hall’s Tour divide set up also similar/same as Rob Deans

robdeanhove
    Free Member

The dynamo hub that comes with an Exposure Revo light is made for them by SP, it is the disc or non-disc version of the excellent SP-8 dynamo, which is a very good thing. See the photos on Exposure’s own site that show this HERE <- CLICKY

This is the same hub & light setup I have been using for a couple of years now, and as is currently being ridden (in the lead as I type) in the Tour Divide by Mike Hall.

You can see a little more on my own bikebacking (and general riding and racing without the luggage!) setup, with Revo ligt and dynamo hub HERE <- ANOTHER LINK!

apparently make the parts for SON who then build them up with better quality internals

Not sure where you got this from, SON & SP are rival companies, who use very different internals! The SP, importantly for me, uses one ring magnet with many poles (clever), not lots of individual bonded magnets, so is much more robust, particularly as I use mine for regular mountain biking as well as daily commuting, where there is a lot of vibration and I want no compromise on reliability.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve never had a problem with robustness with the SON hubs, even on very old ones…

scotroutes

Rob – are you happy with wheel strength given the (relatively) narrow flange width?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve got both a SON and an SP dynamo. The SP one builds into an equally strong wheel with it’s marginally narrower flanges. We did a 250 loaded cross country off road ride a couple of weeks ago and as a test I rode it switched on the whole way. It worked a treat.

They are both great hubs but I doubt I’d spend twice as much for the SON over the SP next time.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Rob – are you happy with wheel strength given the (relatively) narrow flange width?

I’ve got a couple of different dynamo wheels, which I occasionally swap with a non-dynamo wheel from a different bike. I honestly can’t tell the difference in strength. I can feel a bad wheel build though (I rebuilt the wheel and it was much better). There is also a small difference, although, it may also be down to the spokes, between my “race” superlight build with a Crest rim with revolution triple butted spokes and my “trail” build with a Reynolds carbon rim and double butted spokes. So much so, that I have actually selected the Reynolds build for racing even though it is a teeny bit heavier.

If you’re really worried about stiffness, wait a few months and get the SP QR15 dynamo, this will be the biggest step up in stiffness, much more so than a few mm in flange diameter, see HERE

This is MTB dynamo Nirvana! 🙂

avdave2

My SON is 7 years old and has coped with 2 winters of on road commuting and 5 of off road commuting. I can’t see me going back to battery lights.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘SON/Exposure dynamo hubs’ is closed to new replies.