Home Forums Bike Forum Sonder Camino – drops (sizing question)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Sonder Camino – drops (sizing question)
  • fatmountain
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m 5″10 ish and haven’t ridden a drop bar bike in years.

I’m within the sizing brackets according to Sonder, at the high end of a medium or low end of a L.

I’m looking at buying a L, but worried it might be a little long?

Can anyone advise?

Thanks!

FM

snotrag

I’m also 5 ft 10 and usually ride a large for nearly all MTB brands – I had the same worries and ended up with a medium Camino – theres absolutely no way I’d want a large.  I only have a 70mm stem on it too. A large would put you in a very racy position.

airvent
    Free Member

I’m 5’11 and 31″ inseam and just bought a medium because I don’t like being too stretched out. With a 100mm stem on it feels about right. I don’t have too much seatpost exposed and don’t get toe overlap. It’s far from a racy bike anyway so I think being more upright suits it.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

5’10, tried both and settled with a medium with +10mm on the stem. Alpkit let you demo, I did both back to back and either would have worked.

I would be wary about going too far on stem length as I thought the geo on the Camino is designed around shorter lengths, guess if you know what you want then it’s less risky.

andrewy

I’m another 5’10, on  a medium Camino, with a 60mm stem. It feels very comfortable, especially descending in the drops and feels good over the rough stuff, but picks up the pace well on the tarmac.

fatmountain
    Free Member

so if I dropped the stem back would it feel a bit weird at the front end? Maybe a L is too big for me.

airvent
    Free Member

It’s very slack for what it is so I don’t think a super short stem would work particularly well, but that’s just my opinion. Are you near a store?

fatmountain
    Free Member

Nah, it’s a large on eBay.

Maybe I’ll pass.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I’m toying with selling my medium, where are you based? I’d rather not post ideally (Glasgow)

rOcKeTdOg

I’m 6ft and on a large and run a 70mm stem. They are not particularly long I just like a more upright position due to back issues. Just get a short reach, short drop bar such as the ritchey Corralitos. Do not judge drop bars by the frankly awful Sonder bomber bar if they are still specking those

sonder

Although it’s this colour now

PXL_20230805_123100036~2

PaulMcG

Im 5’10 and went for L (Ti version) It is slightly too large and I needed to put a shorter stem on. All good after that, really comfy and capable bike.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Another at 5’10” on a medium with a 60mm stem. I also run a 150mm dropper. Tried both, no way would I want a large. I do want something more off road than fast forrest track

hazmo

5’10” here and tried medium and large. Medium felt better to me and I have no regrets.

@rOcKeTdOg
    what issues have you found with the bombers? Im looking for a bit more bar height and the Corralitos may be a potential upgrade and not too spendy

Onzadog
    Free Member

The bombers looked awful. I ordered mine with the Spitfire

phil5556

I’m 6ft and on a large and run a 70mm stem.

isn’t the current one a bit longer than yours?

I’m sure v3 got longer, which is the one I’ve got.

phil5556

I had bombers on mine, I really liked the drops but the hoods got uncomfortable after about 30mins riding and I got pain on the heel of my hand. I tried tweaking the position of the levers but couldn’t find a position that worked.

I changed to Coralitos about 2 days before setting off on a 4 day ride and luckily they worked for me, I find it really comfortable now. The shallow drop works really well and my hands fit perfectly on the tops. The angles of the bomber just don’t work for some people.

rOcKeTdOg

what issues have you found with the bombers

The complete shape, brifters don’t sit right and if you angle them so the tops are level then the drops are too short unless you have a child’s hands

ElShalimo

TLdR: The latest Camino has different geo to the earlier versions. Check if you can’t get to sit on one

superstu
    Free Member

as the last reply suggests, which version? The newer one has a longer wheelbase in medium than the previous XL.

PS: if the bombers are their flared bars then I’m a big fan!

montylikesbeer

I am on a Camino Ti large and am 5′ 10″, it fits better than the medium Camino I had last.

stumpy01

I like the Bomber bars on my Camino. No comfort issues on the Dirty Reiver last year – so, 130km or thereabouts and ~6.5 hours of riding.

The drops aren’t very low, so using that position on the road doesn’t feel very ‘aero’ but not really the point of them.

ElShalimo

I prefer the Bomber flared bars on Camino to the slightly flared Ritchey bars on my posh Ti gravel bike.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.