Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Somewhere Scotland-ish for a short break?
  • TheFlyingOx

After a fraught and hectic few weeks I think the family and I need to have a wee break. Away on a proper holiday in September so nothing extravagant, just looking for something suitable for 2 adults and a 6 month old within driving distance of Edinburgh. If all else fails it’ll be Crieff Hydro, but I thought I’d ask if anyone knows anywhere else before I book it.

Ta.

scotroutes

Coylumbridge? It was a favourite haunt of ours when my daughter was very young.

yetidave
    Free Member

Static Caravan hire somewhere nice? Tummle bridge, Nairn, Oban, Ayrshire, Dumfries.

Drac
    TheFlyingOx

Cheers for the suggestions folks. Something to look at instead of doing work

gusamc
    Free Member

not many criteria specified

gf+I enjoyed Alnmouth (+visit Lindisfarne but walk round island/miss main tourist drag – Red(?White) Lion pub B&B)

Plockton – Scottish lovelieness and the awesome western beauty nearby (visit Applecross – pub/beach etc)

stay in a lighthouse – http://www.ruareidh.co.uk/ (*suitable if you want the middle of NOWHERE)

mellow out along the North coast(*beware facility shortage) – awesome beaches, freezing water – steps at Whaligoe[cliff bottom picnic spot), Noss, stacks at Duncansby, Tongue, Dunnet Head/beach (*John o’Groats is tat), Strathy, Torrisdale ………..

stay at the ‘most’ remote hotel – http://www.garvaulthotel.co.uk/
    (*bike bimble nearby on estate tracks, and can turn to linear route to remote pub – I can vouch for 1st part to loch)

*edit – Arran, forest walks, Glenashdale falls, NW coast pebbel beaches, sand at Whiting Bay, tuck away sandy bay at Kings Cross Point(*walking reqd)

Drac

It’s the Red Lion. Not a bad pub.

Hells

Ayrshire!! Nice!? You’ve got yo be joking!! (I am actually a native of Ayrshire)

Never mind Edinburgh, it’s for tourists! Have a look at somewhere in the very south west. Between Kirkcudbright and Portpatrick!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Somewhere Scotland-ish for a short break?’ is closed to new replies.