Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Some recommendations please for bike hooks for an outbuilding.
  • GDRS

Right some recommendations please for bike hooks for an outbuilding.

Simple issue MRS GDRS now joins me bikaholism and we have three bikes apiece. What bike hooks do people recommend (that also allow for 2.3 tyres). I have a long wall that I can fit six on end – but I think the roof is too low to make a pole-stands work for us.

Looked online at a Mottez hook and the hook by Delta – cheap and cheerful. http://www.bikecare.co.uk/acc/cyclestands.html

But as ever the recommendations of the collective are sought.

Cheers in advance.

DT78
    Free Member

I use lifeline hooks from wiggle, about £10 each I think. Do the job great.

If space is an issue (it is for me) remove the front wheels, and hook the QR skewer / bolt thru on the hook with the back wheel on the ground. This means the handle bars turn parrallel to the top tube and you can fit a bike in every 8 or so inches if you overlap pedals.

Tracey

We have 7 of these along the back wall of our garage. £4.95 each from Decathlon, will take 2.5 tyres on deep rims easy

Tracey

grumm
    Free Member

I just got some from the dreaded Halfords – no problem with 2.5 tyres

PeteA
    Free Member

second the halfrauds

gonefishin
    Free Member

I had a look at using hooks but decided against it as although they take up less wall space, hanging bikes by the wheel means that they protrude into the building space much more and my garage has big selves on the opposite side. I decided to get one of these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=44982

as you can store more bikes in a given amount of space. The two bikes only protrude into the space by roughly 1.5 x handlebar widths rather than the total height of the bike. It is a little bit more of a faff to get the back bike out though.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I thought of hanging our bikes up.

But there's 2 big problems with it:

1) It takes up more space than leaning them against the wall.
    2) I can't lock them up to my ground anchors.

I came to the conclusion that hanging them up was a waste of time.

GDRS

Nice idea DT78

Tracey – those look the ticket.

PP – lean away man – but the wall thing is not working for us anymore. Which is a shame as that would mean I would not have to unleash my cack handed drilling skills onto an otherwise perfectly fine wall.

Nice work guys – the forum always comes through.

llama

I use simple big U shaped hooks from b&q screwed updards into the rafters

It does take up less space than leaning because you can angle and overlap them. If they are high up then you can store stuff under them.

Taff
    Free Member

The Raleigh ones that go up to the ceiling joists are sold by Aldi. Same ones but cheaper and are half the price.

tracknicko
    Free Member

BnQ ones are about 1.18 each too.

TheTompy
    Free Member

I've got some of those Delta hooks and a similar type from someone else. In my (single) garage I have 5 bikes hanging off the back wall with a folding bike and a roofbox underneath, two other bikes stood up in front of the roofbox, shelving down one side of the garage and can still get my 3 Series estate in there (and get in and out of it).

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

I bought some big screw ended hooks with red rubber covering them for 95p each from Wilkinsons.

Bit ugly but they do the job just fine with a bit of no more nails in the hole prior to rawl plug insertion.

To keep things tidy I routed a series grooves through a thick fence post and mounted this lower down for the rear wheels to sit in.

For added security I bought some screw in "eyes" and mounted these in a row between each bike along the middle and rund a big chain through them all.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Some recommendations please for bike hooks for an outbuilding.’ is closed to new replies.