Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Some interesting numbers from a Pro XC rider
  • The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

For those looking for inspiration during the winter:

Emil Lindgren of Rabobank:
    http://emillindgren.com/2012/12/alright-numbers/
    ———
    Weight: as lightest about 62-63. Offseason about 65-66.
    Lenght:173cm
    VO2 max/kg/min: 84 (65,5 kg) 5min all in intervall.
    VO2 max/min: 5,5
    Average Wattage 5min all in: 420
    Anaerobic threshold: about 180bpm

njee20
    Free Member

That’s quite long 😉

420W isn’t shabby!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Its a big number, but maybe not quite as big as I’d have thought for someone placing top 20 in WC’s.

Just goes to show how much technique plays it’s part in MTB.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What’s the difference between the two VO2max numbers? I get that the first is ml/kg/min, but what’s the 2nd number?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Actually I’ll take that back, 420 watts for someone weighing in a 65 kg is rather impressive as that’s 6.4w/kg

Edit: second number is liters/minute

Tom-B
    Free Member

Emil was at my only ever race at national level last year at Sherwood-it was like a motocross bike going past when he lapped me-he didn’t shout that he was coming through, he just rode through some shrubs to pass me! I think that he averaged over 16mph for the race 😯

d45yth
    Free Member

Just goes to show how much technique plays it’s part in MTB.

I remember reading something about Oli Beckingsale a year or two ago, showing that on paper he shouldn’t have been able to beat a lot of the other riders that he constantly did.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Yeah, I was thinking if 420w was pushing the bike up a hill with no weight in the rider.. this is where it all comes into it!

I remember reading something about Oli Beckingsale a year or two ago, showing that on paper he shouldn’t have been able to beat a lot of the other riders that he constantly did.

To be honest if there’s trainers out there scratching their heads over figures.. and not having a clue about other stuff re: the bike. It’s a waste of time. I’m sure a lot of pro riders have turned up to a race that suited a mud tyre,race a small block eight, but were too obsessed over the weight and speed of a tyre that nothing else came into it. 🙄

njee20
    Free Member

Bit unfair. They’re virtually all better riders than your average and don’t fit massive draggy tyres. Be very uncharacteristic for any top level XC racer to make such a decision.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

420w over 5 minutes, bit lower than I would have expected. Still very good though.
    V02 max though is sky high. Not many people get over 80, let alone mid-80’s.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Yeah 420 isn’t that outstanding I’m 415 but my power to weight is 5.61 where’s his as pointed out is 6.4 which is a tiny bit more 😯

Nice of him to be open about his measurements. Not to willy wave at all but guess you all will find them interesting to compair (4th Ranked Expert) in the UK:

5 minute power – 415watts
    Power/Weight – 5.61
    Ave HR: 167bpm
    Max HR – 174bpm (although have seen it hit 180)
    Weight: 74kg
    % Body Fat – 9.07

Anyone else willing to share?

njee20
    Free Member

How do you have an average HR?

xc-steve
    Free Member

Sorry average HR in whatever the test was where I got those results lol! I think average HR in the 5min of 415watts…. possibly

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well I don’t feel too bad about my last ramp test (@80kg):

Max power – 438W
    Average power – 387W
    TT time – 19.43
    HR max – 177bpm
    HR average – 168bpm
    Blood lactate pre – 4mmol/l
    Blood lactate post – 18.4mmol/l

xcwanabe
    Free Member

These numbers were done 12 months ago. So I’d like to hope they may have gone up slightly

5 minute power – 370watts
    Power/Weight – 5
    Ave HR: 163bpm
    Max HR – 180bpm (although have seen it hit 200)
    Weight: 74kg
    % Body Fat – 12.98

Vet racing mostly 12hr solo these days but will be seen proping up the back of the Vet Nationals next season.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Cynical your max power is that what it spiked at or did you keep it at your max for 5min? Wish I’d paid attention to what the names of the tests I did were!

Pretty impressive numbers Rob did you get Roy to do them?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Max is the spike I think, average – over the last minute or 5 minutes? Isn’t there a standard? It was a while ago.

xcwanabe
    Free Member

Pretty impressive numbers Rob did you get Roy to do them?

Is it the same three people on all the forums, if we wait long enough will Vings appear?

Yes Roy did them for me last December, according to his report I should be a lot faster than I am! Perhaps it’s my inability to ride a bike that’s holding me back!

xc-steve
    Free Member

Cool yeah like I say didn’t really pay attention but guessing they’re all standard otherwise how are you to compair to each other!.

Comparing my results to mr Pro’s listed above that may be my problem as well!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Some interesting numbers from a Pro XC rider’ is closed to new replies.