Home Forums Bike Forum Some advice on terrain appreciated.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Some advice on terrain appreciated.
  • the_kenburg

We drove back from west Wales a couple of weeks back and took the road from Machynlleth through Forge towards Dylife and down to Staylittle. It’s a bit of road we love and the terrain over the top got me thinking…

I had a little play on OS Maps and put a 35km route that wanders around the area. It’s not been precisely plotted but I just wanted to get a rough idea of what’s what.

https://explore.osmaps.com/route/22697698/proto-mid-wales-mtb?lat=52.508474&lon=-3.800477&zoom=12.1731&style=Leisure&type=2d

What I’d like to know from anyone familiar with the area is whether it’s good going under wheel? Does my suggested route go through a Bog of eternal Stench? I’m not after a mega epic, just something that a bit explorey that feels a little wilder than the Forest of Dean or the Cotswolds!

Kramer
    Free Member

I don’t know your entire route, but our group have done a few days at Staylittle for the past few years and headed out in that direction and done a lot of it, it’s good riding and generally rocky and weather proof, unless it’s absolutely chucking down. It’s definitely gravel/xc rather than enduro riding. There are a few streams to be forded which may be an issue if it’s been raining heavily.

Ambrose

I used to live in Forge BITD. Whilst much of what Kramer says is correct my recollections of Hengwm, between Bugeilyn and the Afon Maesnant/ Afon Hengwn confluence is huge hike a bike territory. Your socks may well get more that wet. The Afon Hengwm ford can be dangerous in heavy rain but there is a good bridge 200 m upstream.

I would not consider taking the bw running over the southwest flank of Carn Hyddgen via Banc Lleustnewydd, I’m not sure that it even exists except in some parish councillor’s imagination back in the 1950’s when the RoW were drawn up. Be very wary indeed. Google Earth seems to confirm this.

Likewise, Drosgol can be circumnavigated (on paper) but it really is ankle twisting hike a bike territory once again, albeit slightly (ha!) drier than Hengwm.

I love the place.

Kramer
    Free Member

@the_kenburg if you message me your email address I can send you a GPX of the route we did from Staylittle which was all ok as far as I remember.

montgomery
    Free Member

What Ambrose said. There’s a vague path but if you lose it (easy to do at the SW end) you’re in for major bike hauling. The Plynlimon ridge, though, is surprisingly rideable if you access it via Hafren forestry tracks from the east.

the_kenburg

Thanks all, this is useful stuff.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.