Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Solovair or?
  • funkmasterp

Looking to buy a pair of boots for every day wear. I normally wear Vivobarefoot but fancy a bit of a change. I like the look of Solovair boots and I’m wondering if the great STW hive-mind has any opinions on them? Any alternatives that are worth a look? I keep eyeing up the Moto boots from HebTroCo. Much more expensive but are they likely to last if looked after?

I have a refund due from a pair of defective Vivo’s so can stretch the budget a bit. Not a slight on Vivo btw. Been wearing their shoes for years and this is the first time I’ve had any issues. Sorted and refunded despite them being ten months old,

All input appreciated.

Del

Bought a pair for my partner and she’s very happy with them. Will likely get a pair of shoes soon and boots at a later date when I’ve worn out the current (not solovair) pairs.

zippykona

You might find them too narrow after vivobarefoots.
    I find  Palladium boots and Roamers desert boots both comfy and wide.

ElShalimo

I’ve got a pair of their black shoes for work and a pair of brown Chelsea boots. Both are nice

onehundredthidiot

I’ve a pair for work worn them for 6Months daily and although feeling nicely broken in they look almost new. Unfortunately I got them at the same time I developed plantar fasciitis so I’ve got insoles as they are quite flat inside.

Bloody good though.

kilo

Are those hebco things just William Lennon boots with a hipster tax?

I have William Lennon waxed tan leather boots and they are great.

178 Tan Leather Boot

Take a bit of getting used too but a good comfortable boot, I suspect with care they will outlast me! I’ve just ordered a heavy shoe from them now and they have modified an existing model for me with no extra cost – great company to deal with.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Yep. William Lennon make the boot for HebTroCo.

I’ve a pair of the 178’s too. Proper solid boots I’ve not worn them for a while though. Got into Trickers over the last few years. Much to the dismay of my wallet !

spectabilis
    Free Member

For a similar cost to NPS/Solovair you could look at Lanx too. Some models are Goodyear Welted.
    I’ve not owned a pair but have seen them and look to be a nicely made boot.

ALL MEN'S FOOTWEAR

Also heard good things about Jadd

https://jadd.shoes/

funkmasterp

Holy shit! Those Trickers boots are very expensive. A fair bit beyond me. Thanks for all the other recommendations so far. Still like the Solovair due to the colour options. The burgundy gaucho look good to me

spectabilis
    Free Member

Even worse when you have some made to order 🙈

Incidently an email from Trickers just arrived- Factory shop sale announced.
    Limited sizes and tend to be some odd / samples on there but occasionally there’s something nice for a good price.
    Can’t go wrong with a pair of Stow’s IMO but they always seem to be built on the Dainite sole in the factory shop and I much prefer the ridgeway sole.

20% off the shown prices
    https://trickersfactoryshop.com/

tthew

Are those hebco things just William Lennon boots with a hipster tax?

The 78TC workboot with the vibram sole are closer to the HebTroCo Moto boots, but are about 90 quid cheaper. The drawback is currently a 20 week wait as they are made to order! My pair, in black worn pretty much daily for 2 years are just due a resole. Love them.

So much so I’ve ordered a pair of the Canadian army boots, but with a lower leg to use when they go back for repair, (6 weeks 😁).

Edit – there’s also Lanx, also proper British made, some designs more expensive than others.

kilo

I’ve ordered the 157L Hill Shoe but with a semi-sprung last, as per the 178 boot, and without the lace cover, should be fairly tough shoe 🙂

prettygreenparrot

Solovair are good.

I bought some last year after my ‘made in England’ DMs split after a couple of years’ use.

Solovair sizing I found a bit weird. IME a bit bigger in sizing than e.g. DMs. The Solovair sizing guide was unhelpful – suggested I should get a 6.5. I usually take a size 8. After a few swaps I ended up choosing Solovair size 8. After a few months of use I think a 7.5 might have been snugger. However, the breaking in would have been tough. When I tried their 7.5s I couldn’t easily get my left foot in the boots and the right one was tight – hence 8.

The story was the same for 8-hole Derby boot and 3-hole chukka. Both bought to replace comparable falling-apart DMs

Size wrangling aside they’re good. Comfy. Fairly quick to wear in at first. Somewhat water resistant whereas the DMs were only marginally more water resistant than sandals.

At the same time I ordered some William Lennon field boots with a personal choice of leather from their range. They’re great. Heavy, traditional boots. Recommended  and the William Lennon folks are a delight to deal with

The HebTroCo ones seem fairly priced given the choices made and that if they are in stock you can have them now.

bobbyspangles

Solovair get my vote.
    Lovely factory shop and robustly made
    I use mine as motorbike boots and after 4yrs They’re not showing signs of wear

hatter

Both my pairs of Red Wings are on their second set of soles, made in the USA instead of the UK of course but they’ve been a joy to own.

Once they’d be broken in and no longer felt like they were trying to murder me of course.

lambchop
    Free Member

Redwings here too and on second soles after 5 years of heavy wear. Moc toe 8886. Came with crepe soles but fancid a change so had Vibram mini lugs this time. Craggs in Leeds did a great job of the resole.

Bought Solovairs for my  Son after he destroyed his DMs. Solovairs are superior to DMs in every way. Grey stitching instead of yellow though. If that matters to you?

StuF

I’ve got a pair of Lanx, they weren’t cheap (for me) but they’re very well made, wearing in nicely. I should have possible gone up half a size but would buy from them again

nbt

I have solovair shoes (they used to make shoes for Dr Martens hence the similarity) and lanx shoes. I find the Lanx more comfortable, but they’re a different design so that will have an effect. Lanx do different widths too whcih may helkp if you have wide feet (I don’t so can only select from limited designs)

spectabilis
    Free Member

Just noticed some offers at AFPOS
    Some NPS (Solovair) on sale there (not the style OP was looking at mind) among others Berwick (Spanish made)/ Sanders (uk made)

No experince of either brand but they look decent – Goodyear welted etc.

DERBY BOOTS

sharkattack

funkmasterp

Thanks all. Bought a pair of Burgundy Goucho 8 eye Derby boots. I’ll probably end up thinking they’re too heavy and cumbersome, send them back and get a pair of Scott from Vivo! Determined to give normal boots another go though

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.