Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Soldering
  • BigDummy
    Free Member

My Brompton's rear dynamo-powered LED has failed. I took it to bits last night, and a big round black widget which was clearly connected to the circuit board has simply fallen off and was rattling around inside the casing. With the widget balanced in place the light works, so that's definitely the problem.

It seems just to want soldering back in place.

Now, as you'll have gathered, electrickery isn't my strong suit, and I don't currently have a soldering iron. Is there any way of getting this fixed that I am stupidly over-looking, or do just need to get on with it? Where do you take a broken electrical widget for a spot of TLC? Who you gonna call?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Jon 🙂

Kuco

If you got a local Maplins they will do it for you.

Stoner
    Free Member

BD – I can bring my iron and some solder into London, that London, on Tuesday if you want.

EDIT: Has the black round widget fallen off the board with its little legs intact or has it broken off leaving its legs stuck in the board?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Legs intact. I hope that's good.

Kuco, I do have a local Maplins, I'll try there tomorrow. Good thoguht. Stoner, that's most kind, I'll drop you a line if the Maplin's people can't deal.

Cheers both! 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

Prop Joe will be able to do it

oh hang on, maybe not 🙂

MrAgreeable

I'd get a cheapo soldering iron, stand and solder pump and learn to do it yourself. It costs next to nowt and you'll be able to get all manner of dead electricals resurrected and running.

This site is a good resource:

http://www.ladyada.net/learn/soldering/thm.html

MrAgreeable

Re soldering irons, this is very similar to the one I have. Cheap 'n' nasty but it does the job.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=-171

BigDummy
    Free Member

Don't know about anyone else, but I have to ration capital outlay on tools. I bought an axe last week. 🙂

MrAgreeable

It's ten quid, and you will wonder where it has been all your life. And if all the tools you currently have in the man-cave are axes, saws and hammers then it will add a bit of balance. 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

'Tis a fair point. 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Soldering’ is closed to new replies.