Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Soft shell body armour
  • dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’ve spent ages looking at some body armour to use snowboarding and for light riding. I’ve got some hard plastic stuff for the gnarlier times but just want something fairly light as I’ve bashed my collar bones a few times.

Has anyone got any experience of the One Industries Exo jacket?
    http://www.noahsark.co.uk/one-industries-2013-c288/one-industries-one-industries-exo-short-sleeve-jacket-p2234

I’ve also been looking at the O’neal Stealth, Scott Recruit, 661 sub gear, G-Form Compression Shirt and a few others, quite want one that has a zip really but it’s not a deal breaker.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I use the TLD speed doctor top and really rate it – chose it As it is Leatt compatible but do find it a pain to remove without a zip when I’m sweaty!

richyb78
    Free Member

Bought the Exo jacket but sent it back. I know its not supposed to be full on armour but couldn’t see it providing any protection and it didn’t fit well.

Ride with long sleeve 661 Sub gear which provides more protection and was fifty quid cheaper.

weeksy

I’ve got the 661 sub, short sleeve, it’s excellent and doesn’t restrict at all. I’d recommend it in a heartbeat.

kimbers

how did it size up richy b? (sllightly tiubby 5’8 here)

where did u feel it lacked?

tbh if the 661 had a spine thing id be all over it!

saxabar
    Free Member

I have a 661 which fits well, although there’s quite a few threads coming loose after four weeks in the Alps (worn daily). I also have a bag with spine protector (Evoc) – these come up fairly regularly here in the classifieds.

rocketman
    Free Member

I think the sub gear kit is pretty good but more suited to fending off scrapes and trail rash rather than actual impacts with solid objects. I quite like mine (ls and ss) the only minor drawback is that the lycra-type material that holds it all together goes kind of baggy after a while. Also I find that although it disperses perspiration quite well it has a tendency to saturate and becomes rather cold and clammy. Not so much of an issue with the ss because it gets used on warmer days.

In terms of protection the elbow/forearm guards on the ls are quite effective I’ve tested them several times and the shoulder pads are great if you’re in the habit of smearing off trees. There’s some sternum protection as well which I’ve not tested in anger but can easily absorb a solid punch 😉

richyb78
    Free Member

I went for a medium at 5’10” & fairly slim build.

I personally didn’t think the honeycomb type protection would of done anything and the parts where it was positioned didn’t cover enough of the body.

I agree, if the 661 Sub had a back protector . . . .

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

I’ve been strongly considering the 661 shirts but I’m not sure how they would fare over daily use. The main concern I have with that is having a 38 inch chest and 34 inch waist, I just seem to be between all the sizes and can’t figure out which would be best to go for.

rocketman
    Free Member

They stretch a lot & the pads need to be held firmly in place otherwise they’re not very effective. This is the main issue with my ls it’s gone a bit ‘Nora Batty’ I really need to get a new one

johnj2000
    Free Member

Received my 661 top yesterday tried it on tonight and from a stomach perspective the XL was the way forward, however the arms are a little too long,which means the elbow pads and shoulder pads are slightly out of allignment with the respective body parts.

Before I send it back I thought I would see if anyone has any experience as to whether they shrink a little with washing and use or whether they get baggier. No large left on the website so can’t get a replacement.

Cheers

John

johnj2000
    Free Member

Duurrr! Read the posts first you idiot. So in answer to my own question, they stretch and end up like Nora Battys stockings. So the XL goes back and do I replace with a short sleeved large?? It was the elbow protection that attracted me tbh.

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

I need something a bit more durable so I’ve gone for the Scott Recruit Pro. Will see how it is when it arrives.

http://www.tweekscycles.com/cycling-clothing/body-armour/scott-recruit-pro-ii-compression-gear

chrssmale
    Free Member

Bought the 661 subgear (longsleeve) last year. I wouldn’t buy a long sleeve one again. Once on it fits well, though after a good days riding it can be hard to take off when your tired as its a snug fit. Also as mentioned by saxabar the threads are come loose far too quickly, I thimk this occurs when taking it off. Having a zip like the One Industries would be much better I think.

It does get cold and clammy after a few hours ride, so I don’t think I would take it when I go snowboarding soon.

I do like the elbow and shoulder pads, while the chest pad just seems to make me sweat more on the chest. The chest pad doesn’t offer much protection, I think you could get similar protection from a mouse pad.

I then use my Evoc Freeride pack with the back protector (best bag I’ve ever had)

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

My vote goes to the Scott Recruit Pro II. I haven’t tried any of the other gear mentioned so I can’t compare to that but I can vouch for this.
    I was a little underwhelmed when I unpacked it, but it has definietley grown on me. Zip entry which makes it easy. Snug fit but not overly snug. Pads seem good and stay in place, the shoulder pads need some initial adjustment but that might just be my weedy frame! It’s not the cheapest but the quality feels pretty good and it hould last a while. Will see how it holds up to biking in a few months.

iany
    Free Member

I went for the sub gear 661, short sleeve. shoulder pads have saved me from a few nasty knocks but it lacks back and lower rib protection on the front. has gone a bit baggy on the shoulders now but I’ve lost 2 stone recently so that might not help matters!

curious to see what the exo jackets are like.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have the subgear vests but I gut the chest protection off as its only real function seems to make you sweaty.

They are compression type material so not very warm, so I wear a 100 weight fleece gilet with them when it is cold (maybe this one : http://www.tog24.com/mens/gilets/mens-fleece-gilets/axis-mens-fleece-gilet-black.html)

they changed the sizing a few years ago – I think they got a little smaller.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Soft shell body armour’ is closed to new replies.