• This topic has 822 replies, 84 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Caher.
Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 823 total)
  • Soccerball Goooaaaaal! 2019/20 season
  • theotherjonv

I think VAR got both decisions correct, and was used correctly in Decision 1 (D1, the Lallana handball, where it reversed an obvious error) but I think VAR was wrongly used in D2.

Bear with me.

Once you ask it to rule on matters of millimetres and start drawing well meaning but ultimately arbitrary lines on where you think someone’s armpit or toe is then you have to accept what outcome it gives you. That’s what happened in D2, and it showed the Wolves player had started his run a few picoseconds early.

The issue is now we’ve got this concept of the irrefutable line and for all of Souness and the pundit’s twattering on, it doesn’t matter if you change the law to say where you draw the line (feet, armpit, anywhere) or whether you say any bodypart onside is now onside (= more goals), or any part offside = offside, you’ll still be arguing over a few mm on semi arbitrary lines. If you even say we’ll allow 50mm either way of where the line is, there would still be arguments where the line fell 51mm apart whether that 1mm was correct.

In the end we want clear and obvious errors overturned, so trust the on field officials. No-one there on the day thought it was offside, including the Assistant Referee. The footage clearly showed it was microscopically tight, too tight to call. So go with ‘umpires call’ and let the goal stand.

So as I say – used incorrectly but when used as it was, the ‘decision’ was correct.

sandboy

LiVARpool 1 – Wolves 0. On reflection, a sad day for English football. VAR was supposed to rectify clear and obvious errors but instead is being used to check all decisions of the on field ref.it’s killing the game for fans both in the ground and those watching on TV. I’m not sure what the answer is but I much preferred the game before all of this nonsense.

weeksy

Absolutely agree lads, I’ve said it all along, var is a nightmare and I don’t like it, I like the game to flow, along with the emotions, the passion and even the mistakes.
    But for people to throw it out there like Liverpool are somehow being favoured or cheating is just pathetic really.

MoreCashThanDash

Yes, the use and application of VAR is causing a lot of issues, but it’s use will get reviewed and improved. I agree it should only be used to rectify clear and obvious errors, and I’d suggest that starts with the referee going to check the pitch side monitor!

MSP

It hasn’t being used to check all decisions, part of the problem so far is that it hasn’t been used and some glaringly blatant errors have stood. It is only the past few weeks that has been addressed and a few more decisions have been reversed to get the correct decision, which is a good thing IMO.

Then there is the issue of the offsides, arbitrary lines are drawn on a frame of footage that is guestimated to be the point that the ball left the foot, and is being sold to the fans as being definitive decision, when we know that there is a clear margin for error. Historically the advantage should be given to the attacking team in those incidents, and that principle is currently not being applied. That is a big problem, again IMO.

sandboy

Weeksy, I’m not saying Liverpool cheated in any way. I love the team that Klopp has built and really hope they don’t mess it up this season!! The issue is VAR and how it is being implemented.

MSP

But for people to throw it out there like Liverpool are somehow being favoured or cheating is just pathetic really.

I just think Liverpool have been pretty lucky with the var decisions, its not a conspiracy, it’s just the way it has worked out. Yesterday, and the Chelsea game the way the offside rule is being applied has affected the result in Liverpools favour. Liverpool also fell foul of that application against Aston villa, but it didn’t effect the result, other than making it a bit more uncomfortable a victory.

You are getting the rub of the green at the moment, it’s churlish top pretend otherwise. But I do think that VAR’s application will improve, in the long run it won’t advantage anybody, but this year there have been teething problems.

One thing that gauls me is the obvious change in policy over the past few weeks to correct more decisions the refs got wrong in the first place, but they haven’t said that’s what they are doing, just blustered on pretending everything fine all along, basically doing a bojo.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

One thing that gauls me

I blame the French

binners

Why oh why do teams insist on trying to play it out from the back against Liverpool and City? It’s just asking for trouble

weeksy

I guess they’re aspiring to be like the teams they want to emulate. But as you say, they have to accept their limitations as players and play to their strengths rather than putting themselves in trouble for no reason

binners

One mistimed pass and they’re straight on it and you’re a goal down.

I do hope Arsenal continue to attempt it later. Not just for the 3 points, but also for the comedy value 😂

Another VAR farce. Why bother having a referee on the pitch at all? Or any linesmen? Just referee the game from Stockley Park and put the decisions up on the big screen

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

binners still droning on about VAR. There’s a surprise. Do you sing “it’s not football anymore” at the TV?

binners

Don’t be daft. I sing derogatory chants about scousers during every minute I’m watching the match, no matter who’s playing

Come on Bravissimo, you know this 😃

Anyway… no Pogba in the squad so hopefully he’s off. As one of my mates said the other day “I’ll drive him to the ****ing airport myself and pay for his ticket to Madrid!” 😂

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Norwich going down, surely, and Bournemouth too? They’re just so soft – bet Moyes would have picked them first up if he could have chosen his first game.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

binners still droning on about VAR.

Why not? It’s bordering on farcical – it’ll end up with teams/fans not celebrating a goal until VAR has had an (overly long) look.

MSP

Yeah, Nowrich will go down, I think for a promoted team to be successful coming up and playing open attacking football, they have to surprise everyone in the first half of the season and get much better points tally than they have. Now everyone knows what they are about they will find it even harder.

God knows what the VAR team were checking after the offside decision in the city/everton match, the whistle had gone everything else was of no consequence. In this case it really was farcical and killed the atmosphere in the ground

muggomagic

So who are the 3 to go down for you?

I’m going for Norwich, Villa and Bournemouth. Think Burnley will get dragged down there but just about survive along with Watford.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s bordering on farcical

I agree. binners droning on about VAR is (bordering on) farcical.

salad_dodger

Relegated? Norwich, Bournemouth and Arsenal. Please…

muggomagic

and Arsenal. Please…

Surely not now they’ve got Pep jnr?!

MSP

Norwich, Bournemouth and Brighton for me, all the other teams either have a bit more quality or more importantly know how to be more pragmatic defending as team.

binners

Do you need a hug Bravissimo?

I could do with one at the moment, if I’m honest. We’re actually managing to make Arsenals defence look good. This is bloody awful!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Do you need a hug Bravissimo?

After this evening, it’s you that needs a hug binbins. Arsenal? 😂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Gotta love ‘em really.

I believe Man Utd scouts are checking on the dog’s availability now that the transfer window is open.

MSP

They may have scouted that dog, but decided to blow 100+ million on Benton instead.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

It’s Fenton.

It’s not just @binners that thinks the premier league is using VAR incorrectly, IFAB (who apparently make the laws of the game; nope me neither) say so #noshitsherlock

Klunk
    Free Member

best kit in the last 50 years award goes to Chelsea (though it probably has a extortionate price tag in the club shop).

theotherjonv

according to who?

Is it better than Reading away mid 90’s? Really?

Klunk
    Free Member

nobody it wins by default as it has no advertising not even a manufacturers logo

MSP

Well that’s embarrassing for Everton, beaten by the Liverpool youth team. I wonder if that is what Klop really wanted, the team selection suggested he was willing to sacrifice the FA cup.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If they’d lost that, I think Klopp would have been in for a bit of criticism. It would have ended the unbeaten run at Anfield and well, it is the derby. But for some shocking finishing by Everton in the opening quarter, they would have lost too. As it was, fair dues to the youngsters – after looking a bit shaky early on, they sorted themselves and played really well. Gomez had a great game and Oxlade-Chamberlain coming on cemented things later. Everton were awful though, especially in the second half. How Schneiderlin is drawing a wage as a premiership player is beyond me. Cracking goal to win it. There’s something about a shot going in off the underside of a post that improves any goal.

weeksy

Excellent performance after a sketchy moment or 3 in the first half. Great composure from many of the youngsters.

Lovely finish too

aazlad
    Free Member

I think he sees it as a great opportunity to give the kids and backup players a good run. If they win it’s a bonus as they get another run out in a few weeks.

senorj

That was great for me. My work colleague is a toffee. 😀
    Williams, Curtis and Minamino all played very well.
    Looking forward to Leeds giving arsenal a scare.
    And I’m a +1 for VARcical.

deserter
    Free Member

I’m not enjoying VAR at all tbh, and to see Aguero not even bother celebrating a goal until VAR has looked at it is an indication of how the game will go in my opinion

paulneenan76
    Free Member

VAR is doing its job. The interpretation of the rules by those miles away in some studio room are the problem and perhaps the rules themselves.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

oh dear 😆

Klunk
    Free Member

Taxi for Mr Solskjaer!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

It’s all part of the process. He has a plan. 😂

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 823 total)

The topic ‘Soccerball Goooaaaaal! 2019/20 season’ is closed to new replies.