• This topic has 822 replies, 84 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Caher.
Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 823 total)
  • Soccerball Goooaaaaal! 2019/20 season
  • Klunk
    Free Member

Ed Woodward “Anyone one got Mauricio Pochettinos phone number?”

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

It’s Woodward that should be going, if they want to win the league again. But the owners seem content to use the club to make cash, which he’s good at, so he’ll stay.

binners

It is indeed Woodward, and the owners, that are the root of the problem.

Last night was aboslutely dismal. We’ll probably now face the indignity of City resting players for the second leg and still getting tonked by their reserves.

I don’t even think they even care. As long as the money keeps rolling in.

weeksy

It is indeed Woodward, and the owners, that are the root of the problem.

Last night was aboslutely dismal. We’ll probably now face the indignity of City resting players for the second leg and still getting tonked by their reserves.

I don’t even think they even care. As long as the money keeps rolling in.

Not sure i agree, Utd have spent plenty, just bought bad players with it.

buenfoxa
    Free Member

Scary the amount of money they have spent since they last won the league and then have the cheek to moan about their injuries.

As a Liverpool fan I couldn’t care less – their fans are now resorting to talking about ‘history’ just like Liverpool fans had been doing over the years (and get ridiculed for it!). Power has massively shifted over the last few years.

However the club, from a football point of view, is being run awfully; and I love it 🙂

binners

They’ve spent a lot of money (worth noting that they’re making more than ever though), but the signings have been absolutely inexplicable. Completely scattergun with no coherence as to what it is they’re actually trying to achieve. £50+ million for Fred? Signing Sanchez on half a million quid a week? WTF?

The club is just being apallingly managed (from a footballing point of view), and the priority doesn’t seem to be whats going on on the pitch – which now seems almost incidental – and is more to do with securing a new coffee ‘partner’ in the US or a noodle ‘partner’ in Singapore.

You can’t keep those deals coming in if you’re finishing mid-table though, and putting in pitifull displays like last night.

Its getting to the point where you’d have to wonder if any world class players would even go to United any more, given where the club is

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

There’s been no overarching plan though, it’s been a scatter gun approach. With very little future planning.

Even the prospects are suddenly in the prime of their careers but just OK footballers (Lingard I’m looking at you…)

Cletus

Appointing OGS was a crazy decision – the worst manager of the four North West Premier League teams by some margin.

Seeing Phil Jones lumbering about was a treat!

weeksy

And how exactly is that the owners fault unless we believe they’re signing the players and ignoring multiple managers choices ?

martinhutch

Seeing Phil Jones lumbering about was a treat!

Just signed a new four-year deal. Apparently he’s in his prime too.

binners

Another inexlpicable decision. He’s an absolute donkey. One of quite a selection of them presently coasting comfortably at the club.

And how exactly is that the owners fault unless we believe they’re signing the players and ignoring multiple managers choices ?

Woodward seems to have more influence on who gets signed than any of the mangers we’ve had. Jose made that pretty clear

buenfoxa
    Free Member

I think that’s the understanding from the outside isn’t it? Someone at the club is taking decisions on purchasing players without a strategy for how the club want to play football, formations etc. Alexis Sanchez as one example – never a Utd player under the manager at the time – I could go on.

Appointing OGS was a crazy decision – the worst manager of the four North West Premier League teams by some margin.

Completely agree – just hope they don’t fire him anytime soon.

weeksy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51039635

Lol a group of 7!!! It. Made the BBC!!!!

binners

Well today has summed up perfectly where United are as a club

They offered 34 year old Ashley Young a one year contract extension

He told them ‘no thanks’ and he’s off to Inter.

Embarrassing.

johndoh
    Free Member

You can’t keep those deals coming in if you’re finishing mid-table though, and putting in pitifull displays like last night.

Yup – and with their wage bill, things could quickly go all Leeds United.

binners

Indeed. The club is still saddled with enormous debt from the Glazers leveraged buyout and is still being used as a cash cow to prop up their struggling US businesses. Which is why generating revenue, by any means, is taking priority over anything going on on the pitch.

It was always going to end up like this

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

They’re too big a club to do a Leeds, but the way they’re going they’ll emulate Liverpool’s title drought.

Ashley Young to Inter???!! My, how Italian football has fallen.

Klunk
    Free Member
    binners

My (increasingly anxious) scouse mate thinks that these are the perfect conditions for Liverpool to lose tomorrow.

Its actually getting quite amusing watching how jittery my scouse mates are getting. They still think that it can all go tits up and they can throw it away. The more points clear they get, the more nervous they get

Its hilarious. Its the hope that kills you 😀

senorj

Git 😉
    I am also, wisely nervous.

theotherjonv

the only thing that can defeat Liverpool from here is Liverpool

Like Milan in Istanbul, or both of last year’s CL semi finals, there’s no way they could blow it……or could they! When they lose (and they will) if that turns into a second loss or a draw, and the lead drops to single digits and THOSE thoughts start creeping in, that’s when it could get interesting.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

No Liverpool supporter, player or employee will admit the title is a foregone conclusion. Very confident but nothing is won till it’s mathematically impossible to lose.

I’d say we are favourites at this point. Tomorrow is only tricky cos it’s Mourinho – it’s what makes me a tad nervous anyway.

binners

Jose has just been spotted Reversing a Routemaster in North London 😂

MSP

Ashley Young to Inter???!! My, how Italian football has fallen.

Dived, remember who we are talking about here.

binners

😂

Maguire isn’t fit enough for 90 minutes, so I’m just waiting for him to be subbed, then the inevitable Jones howler that will lead to Norwich’s first goal, then the next two Jones howlers that will allow Pukki his hat trick

theotherjonv

Pukki’s injured.and not playing…..but frankly could be in a wheelchair and still stand a chance against Jones.

binners

If Phil Jones was in a wheelchair he’d be considerably more mobile

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Fail Oh No GIF by BT Sport - Find & Share on GIPHY

weeksy

That all got a bit nuts in the last 15 mins of Liverpool v Spurs!!!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It was certainly nervy. They were probably lucky to come away with 3 points, but overall, they controlled most of the game. It’s no surprise that Joan set them up to plug gaps and hope for breaks. Hence, they lacked structure when they gained superiority for that spell in the second half. I’m sure I saw Bobby flashing his teeth at Gazzanigga just before shooting which dazzled him a bit. I liked Spurs a lot more under Poch. Beating any team with that moany eejit in charge is always going to be fun. The only thing that could have topped it off would have been a late equaliser being chalked off by VAR, just to make binners explode in a red sticky mess.

I thought Liverpool were chancing it a bit with the tactical fouling in the first half. There were a fair few yellows early in the game.

Unbelievable run of results.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

6 clean sheets in a row in the league now too. It’ll be done by March!

senorj

Happy to see Jose is continuing project Manchester at spurs. What was Levy thinking?!
    Also delighted ole has another big win under his belt to flatter to deceive.
    It would be so very Man U of them to break the run next Sunday.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

“But with a few signings, with the improvement these players are making, in the next couple of years we want to do that.”

Are other mid table teams managers this cocky/delusional or is it just Man Utd’s?

senorj

RicB

Was chatting to my Dad about Utd a few days ago (lifelong fan- was at the first post-Munich home game when the turnstiles ‘broke’ and thousands of extra fans got in).

General consensus is that after a couple of decades of epic success, great football etc most Utd fans don’t have any sense of entitlement for this to continue….they just wish the club wasn’t such a laughing stock thanks to the Glazers and Ed’s collective incompetence.

Binners– re the Ashley Young situation I think it’s actually worse than you say. His contract was up in summer and the club made no contact. He then starts to negotiate for a move, probably says something to Ole, Ed/Matt Judge panic and offer him a new deal but he’s so cheesed off he tells them to shove it.

I gather pretty much the same thing happened with Herrera and Evra.

I also didn’t think Ole should have been appointed when he was but there’s little point sacking him now. His recruitment has been pretty good (lots of deadwood out, good players in) and not even Fergie could do much with a Matic, Fred, Pierrera midfield!

binners

they just wish the club wasn’t such a laughing stock thanks to the Glazers and Ed’s collective incompetence.

Thats the nail on head there, for me. Its just so depressing because everyone knew that, when the Glazers bought the club, this is exactly where we’d end up.They never had any ambition for the club other than making shedloads of cash. The recruitment has been an absolute joke. Theres no point just spaffing money on individual players without any cohesive vision of how they’re going to play together. Some signings, like Sanchez, were just mystifying, and raises the question as to who on earth is taking these decisions?

If you look at the Liverpool recruitment under Klopp, he knew exactly where the squad was lacking, for the style of football he wanted to play, and plugged the gaps over a few seasons. Virgil and Allinson were the final pieces in the jigsaw of that team.

United don’t have two pieces that fit together. Players seemed to have been signed virtually at random.

I agree that at least Ole seems to have some direction as far as who he’s brought in, and at least there now seems to be some sort of direction to it.

I’ll be watching the game on Sunday with 3 scousers. Do you reckon, given that rashford is now out, that this constitutes masochism on my part? interestingly, for all the piss-taking, none of them think that a win is a given and that it would be ‘just so Man United’ to end their run. The best performance we’ve put in this season was against Liverpool. I’m not optimistic, myself, but it is funny watching how jumpy theyre all getting

weeksy

for all the piss-taking, none of them think that a win is a given

I do… it’s just a question of whether we score 5 or 6.

binners

Personally I’d be a lot happier if you all thought that. Especially the team

senorj

I would far rather Rashford was on Liverpool’s bench than playing against !
    Great player , glad he’s not fit for this one . A rout would be too good to be true &put more pressure on ole… so I’ll hope for a spirited 3:1…. 🙂

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Well Binners, VAR’s kept your lads in it!

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 823 total)

The topic ‘Soccerball Goooaaaaal! 2019/20 season’ is closed to new replies.