Home Forums Chat Forum soccerball 22/23, the WC hump season

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 3,015 total)
  • soccerball 22/23, the WC hump season
  • MSP

As bad as united were, I think you have to credit Brentford for turning them over. Even last year they were a team who really gave the big boys a tough time, they were fantastic today, at least half the story of that match should be how good they were, just talking about united failings seams disrespectful to their performance. Any team would have been proud of that fourth goal, if that had been Harland, Nunez or Ronaldo slotting it away it would have been talked about as world class.

binners

Brentford were absolutely brilliant! Played us off the park from start to finish.

They are a quality squad who played some superb football. Unlike us. They came with a well worked out game plan and executed it to perfection

They Displayed all the qualities we’re so obviously missing, in spades. I don’t think the final score reflected the game. It could/should have been 6

Every player who sported that bloody awful United third kit was an absolute disgrace. How they’ve got the front to keep picking up their obscene wages while delivering that shite is beyond belief

dander

They eat lunch together now though AND turn up for training at the same time. Clearly ETH has a little more work to do……..

When do we begin to revise Ole’s record? Maybe he held them together! They’re worse since he left.

Caher

Sympathies and all that but Reading got a whipping from mighty Rotherham. At least Planet X will be happy.

MrOvershoot

binners

Brentford were absolutely brilliant! Played us off the park from start to finish.

They are a quality squad who played some superb football. Unlike us. They came with a well worked out game plan and executed it to perfection

They Displayed all the qualities we’re so obviously missing, in spades. I don’t think the final score reflected the game. It could/should have been 6

I’m in Brentford tomorrow visiting an old work mate, he’s already sent me several very drunk WhatsApp messages, I’m guessing he’s going to be a bit crispy tomorrow :D

He did say he bloody loves ManU, not sure he meant it in affection! I’ll report tomorrow how Bob feels.

MoreCashThanDash

Just watched it on MOTD. Oh dear.

Let’s end the season now, while the mighty Tractor Boys are League One champions 🤣

Cletus

So jealous of Liverpool getting to play United next. Start strongly and score a goal early doors and double figures is a real possibility.

swdan
    Free Member

@morecashthandash I was born not too far from Ipswich and have a WhatsApp group containing mates from home and one lone (Manchester born) Man U supporter. Yesterday we were all letting him know how we’re looking forward to playing them in the Championship next season. Apparently were not the only ones giving it to him this weekend.

swdan
    Free Member

Also, as a Town fan I would love form someone to really turn Man U over and take the largest prem win record from them!

martinhutch

So jealous of Liverpool getting to play United next. Start strongly and score a goal early doors and double figures is a real possibility.

Could be one of those weird seasons where united somehow comes away with a 1-0 win out of 15% possession after Liverpool squander about 400 chances. :)

Caher

Just watched MOTD, Arsenal look good but I suppose the real story is the redemption of Granit Xhaka who was about to be dishonourably discharged couple of seasons ago.

bigdaddy

Well that was a spikey finish to the Chelsea/Spurs game! Red cards for both managers 😳😂

argee

I have an irrational hatred for spurs these days, they have so many annoying players and supporters, they deserved nothing out of that game today, only things I learnt are Chelsea need a front man, and VAR is a bit pointless these days

imnotverygood

Yes given that Romero was clearly pulling the guys hair I can’t see why that isn’t a straight Red

twistedpencil

Can I just point out that Forest are presently out of the relegation spots. Happy for the season to finish now.

23years, it’s been too long. I have tickets to watch City v Forest, last time i saw that fixture was at Maine Road, and Ian Wright was playing for us and Shaun Wright-Phillips came on as a sub for City. With that first win I won’t mind as much as my son lords it over me…  shame its not Man utd next.

argee

Yeah, and the ref looking right at it as well, this isn’t a whinge at the VAR technology, but the fact that it’s just being used even more badly now, you have someone in a building somewhere in the UK playing referee on those decisions to see if they think the ref should look at it again, you’ve got assistant refs who now do nothing, just run up and down the line and are too scared to raise the flag in case they stop something VAR will catch, it just gets worse each year.

The rules and phases and so on are also getting more confusing, i actually prefer the old offside rule, i didn’t at first when this new one came in, but it’s just a farce now, how do you defend attackers when one can be way offside, and due to phases, you have to make sure you cover them, yet they’re not interfering with play, or causing an obstruction, or whatever.

binners

That was some finish for a centre back from Koulibaly

I still can’t believe Spurs managed to get a draw out of that today. Very un-Spursy

scuttler

Hurrah for entitled Forest. Not only did HTFC get mugged by VAR in the playoff but then you get two of our best players who put in a performance for you today. Not bitter honest, just hoping you get your arses handed to you and come straight back down.

MoreCashThanDash

Also, as a Town fan I would love form someone to really turn Man U over and take the largest prem win record from them!

Eh, good point.

I live halfway between Nottingham and Derby, so the “banter” is quite lively locally and at work. Especially at the end of last season.

Forest fans go nuts when whoever is bottom of the Premier League get enough points for Derby to keep the record for lowest ever points total. As a neutral in this debate, I would love it – love it – if Forest **** up and take that record from Derby. (Which isn’t going to happen.)

binners

I would love for someone to really turn Man U over and take the largest prem win record from them!

Unfortunately, I think there’s a very real probability of that happening next match

If it does then I’m going into hiding

scratch
    Free Member

you get two of our best players who put in a performance for you today.

They really did! Toffolo shaped up after a shaky start at Newcastle, O’Brien has a huge amount of potential, they’ve really kicked on.

PrinceJohn

Forest fans go nuts when whoever is bottom of the Premier League get enough points for Derby to keep the record for lowest ever points total. As a neutral in this debate, I would love it – love it – if Forest **** up and take that record from Derby. (Which isn’t going to happen.)

Wonder if anyone is brave enough to put a bet on ManU taking that spot this season?

binners

Nah… we’ll get Big Sam in in January to keep us up.

I wish I was joking, but the club is in such a mess that it wouldn’t actually surprise me in the least. Nothing does any more.

The latest rumours are that this summer Joel Glazer (a man who refers to football as ‘soccer’) has been personaly identifying transfer targets and overruling everyone else, including the manager and scouting staff

Sounds about right. Our transfer ‘policy’ has looked like someones been picking names out of a hat for a long time now

argee

Honestly, i keep thinking they’ve hit bottom, but they do keep proving us all wrong, i have a feeling that ManU will be out there trying to buy someone to appease the fans this week, or two, or three!

It’s mad to think that if they’d tried harder last January they could have had Conte as manager, but it was all about why he wouldn’t work, rather than just getting him in, imagine 6 months of Conte measuring the squad then wielding the axe in summer!

binners

i have a feeling that ManU will be out there trying to buy someone to appease the fans this week, or two, or three!

Its the same every year though. They identify a number of (alleged) high profile transfer targets (Haaland, De Jong etc this year) while they’re busy selling season tickets, and then those players never materialise due to the farcical way the club does its business and instead you have the same desperate scramble to get ANYONE in at the eleventh hour. No strategy, no plan, no structure… just literally pulling names out of the air

Other clubs and greedy agents smell the desperation and double everyones price and you end up paying 80 million for a Sunday league quality donkey like Harry Maguire, 90 million for a player like Pogba who you let go on a Free a couple of seasons ago or paying Alexis Sanchez the thick end of half a million quid a week to punt shots into Row Z, when he’s not injured. The latest madness is Aronovich. I think they were actually serious about him being ‘the answer’ this season

We’re all just absolutely sick to death of the same ridiculous annual charade. Its embarrassing and its actually getting worse every year

binners

And the next name out of the hat is….

Jesus wept!!

martinhutch

Well, his missus does have some minor legal bills she needs to cover. Old Trafford payday would come in handy.

Would be great for Utd though – it would leave just the rest of the attack, the midfield, defence and goalkeeper to sort out.

argee

Souness being hounded for using a phrase that was used in its proper context, he (and others) have gone on for years about refs blowing all the time and taking the limelight in games ruining games in many instances, suddenly there’s quotes galore about how bad this comment referring back to the days when he played and the context has been removed completely.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62548431

neilnevill
    Free Member

Well I’m not going to defend var, definitely not the referring and nor will I defend hair pulling or unsporting antics on the sidelines. What I am pleased about though…. Last year if spurs brought significantly less than their A game (as is the norm with Chelsea as they get under our skin) and Chelsea play well, the result would have been at least a 4 goal drubbing. Yesterday we did the ‘ good teams get a result even when their bad’ thing. Luck? Maybe.
    Argee,😆 you can’t think man u only won games they deserved to.

As for souness, he probably didn’t mean to be sexist, but he made a sexist comment. It’s no longer appropriate too say what he said. If he apologized for the phrase used and rephrased the message it would be fine.

Caher

Souness was more scary than Yosser Hughes, one of the most intimating and talented footballers for a long time. I read the twitter argument and i think it’s a little out of context and hugely overblown but given the women’s euro success we now know other people play football, but i do not think it was meant to be misogynistic, he just meant that he wanted the physicality back in the game, but of course he used a non-woke expression, so is being slated.

dander

Ooops. Nunez silly boy. Hook, line and sinker from Andersen.

scuttler

<bestscouseaccent>

Worrafuchendeck-ed

argee

I was just thinking that Nunez was reminding me of Andy Carroll when he was at Liverpool, then he went and did that 😂

Anyway, Congratulations to Man City on the 22/23 Premiership Title, we might not need to restart the season after the world cup the way its going!

dander

He was pretty poor all match. Spurned a couple of very good chances – Jota will probably come in for him when fit?

Title is City’s to lose, as it should be, but it’s daft to say it’s over given the points Liverpool clawed back toward the end of last season. Intrigued by the rumours of Bernardo Silva maybe heading to Barcelona, if they find some more cash down the back of their sofa. He’d be a huge loss.

binners

Just watched that with two scousers. It’s quite unbelievable that as utterly shite as we are (and we are a comedy Sunday league side), Liverpool are only 2 points better off

The title is between Citeh and Chelsea I reckon, and Citeh will finish 9-12 points clear

Still dreading next Monday, mind. The atmosphere will be utterly toxic and we’ll no doubt get absolutely battered. There’s no way we’ll put in a performance like Palace put in tonight. We’re a pub side

Brentford sat in third? Fair play to ‘em

neilnevill
    Free Member

Lads, there are 38 games in a premiersi season, not 2! Marathon not a sprint and all that. World cup in the middle…… January and February will be very odd and that oddness will decay but continue to the end of the season

binners

It’s about form though. Citeh look good, Chelsea look good, Arsenal look good (Jesus looks like signing of the season already), Liverpool look decidedly mediocre, Spurs look Spursey

We look absolutely ****ing awful

Can’t see anyone getting close to Citeh this season.

dander

I’m with neilneville – two games in. It’s not form. Give it ten games or so and things will be a bit clearer. Although we’re all aware United will finish nearer the bottom than the top.

argee

Ten games in i can see City having at least a 6 point cushion, they are the form team and they have the best squad, and i think they’ll still sign another player before the window shuts.

Liverpool are a great team, but they suffer from a drop in quality from their starting 11 to those on the bench, tonight we saw what losing Thiago is for them, they also have weakness in that defence, TAA is just not good at defending, he seems to get away with it all the time because of his crossing and attacking, but he’s a right back first and foremost, most other teams if they have that type of scenario tend to work with a back 3, but that’s not really a Liverpool thing.

martinhutch

Last season we had a 10 point cushion at Christmas, current situation doesn’t mean a thing, obviously.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 3,015 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.